News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony_Muldoon

Re: What is it about the sea?
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2008, 03:14:14 PM »
Splash.   
Let's make GCA grate again!

Mark Pearce

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2008, 03:41:05 PM »
What a great thread.

There definitely is something special about the sea.  You may not be able to see it from TOC (or Hoylake, for instance) but something makes you know it's there.  I don't know if that's the air, or the sound but the presence of the sea is there.  I know that members at Crail will choose when to play in medals according to tidal timetables, on the basis that the wind dies down as the tides change and they're keen not to be playing the 5th (Hell Hole) in a wind.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2008, 03:52:22 PM »
Nice splash, Tony. Gee, a lot of water under the bridge since then...

I haven't had the pleasure yet, playing by the sea. And maybe for that very reason I've never yet felt compelled to play a sea-side course...
I'd imagine that the humbling quality Adam talks about has at least something (a little) to do with the scale, both of the site itself (opening up to the sea) and of the features on the golf course, which can't be precious little fine-tuned ones and still hold up

Rich Goodale had a lovely description a while back of how the vistas (including the sea) open up before you at a great British links course, and how each individual feature/element both of the field of play and of the surrounds contributes to creating that vista for every other individual feature/elements  (I haven't done Rich's post justice...)   

Maybe the absence of trees on the seasides further enhance these open vistas

Peter

Anthony Gray

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2008, 04:49:59 PM »

The sea is not mandatory but it does add flavor. I took my father-in law to Pebble Beach he birdied 1 , 3 , and 6. After the round I asked him how did he like the ocean. He said "what ocean". He has no idea about the spirit of the game.

It would be difficult to spend the money for PB without the ocean.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2008, 01:04:59 AM »
Like many of the above I go back to the sea to refresh myself.

As children we play in sand, the material that links the water and the soil.  We remember it as soft, warm, friendly, malleable...welcoming.

What an adventure to dip into the waves, we can float, we are ...free. 

Every summer I played on Portstewart Beach and climbed upwards into those high dunes.  It was hard work with the soft sand giving way underfoot and the sharp marrem grass stinging your legs. Once up there it was magic, hidden dells and then views for miles and miles. The short grasses on the Big Course, the Bann, the Strand, the dangerous rocks with the red flag flying, the Barmouth and then Donegal far, far away.  My Brother and I played a little on the Old Course, which starts and finishes hard by the sea.

Now when I golf I look downwards to the waves. When I swim I look upwards to the dunes. Both make me happy.

Few understand that swimming as a popular activity was a Victorian invention. Before then virtually no one had swum by choice since the Romans.  Popularised by Scandinavians, Germans, Native Americans and Lord Byron the growth in its popularity as a leisure activity mirrors golf.  They have much in common: solitary, meditative experiences.

Linksland, where the sea meets the land.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 02:46:22 AM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2008, 08:12:19 AM »
Tony

I think most of us in GB & Ireland have an affinity with the sea.  Being a small group of islands none of us live more than a two hour drive away from the nearest coast.  Childhood memories are of happy holidays at the seaside, playing on the beach and in rock pools etc.

There is also an awareness in the UK that golf bgan at the seaside and that links golf is golf in its most natural state.  When I am on a links course there is a different smell to the air, the breeze is fresher, the air clearer and the views are more picturesque.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

KBanks

« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2008, 09:08:33 AM »
I've always loved this quote by H.J. Whigham : "The tang of the ocean is the breath of the game".

Written for Town & Country, on the subject of CPC.

Ken

Kyle Henderson

Re:What is it about the sea?
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2008, 12:30:19 PM »

I have not been to Sand Hills yet and many luminaries on this board consider it the best that they have played, however, I believe I would miss the whales just off shore!

Maybe Trump will buy it and build a few hundred acres worth of salt water tanks around the course for orcas and dolphins to frolic in some day.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2008, 12:45:55 PM »
Bob Huntley -- have you been to Sand Hills in the four years since this thread started?  If so, would you amend any of your thoughts above?
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2008, 03:33:07 PM »
Bob Huntley -- have you been to Sand Hills in the four years since this thread started?  If so, would you amend any of your thoughts above?

Kevin,

Very much so. In fact the tract is so vast one thinks that one is at sea.

The place is quite magical.

Bob

Mike Benham

« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2008, 07:13:01 PM »
But so is this:

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2008, 01:30:15 PM »
Gosh! How things come back to haunt you!

Willie_Dow

« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2008, 09:57:22 PM »
Kittansett, on Buzzards Bay, is an expression of this feeling we are all trying to explain.

It is my favorite, because I love the sea !

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back