News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Blain

Pine Crest Inn
« on: November 06, 2008, 08:08:02 PM »
Is there any reason in the world to stay anywhere but the Pine Crest Inn during a trip to Pinehurst?

I'm probanly biased because that is the only place I've ever stayed for twenty five years but seriously, why would anyone want to stay anywhere else?

-John

Ryan Chin

Re: Pine Crest Inn
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 09:09:40 PM »
No kidding. Please explain!

I am going for the first time to Pinehurst, this Saturday...and we booked the Pine Crest Inn.

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 09:13:48 PM »
Only place in town no matter the price.

Gene Greco

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 05:07:07 AM »
        Only place I have ever belted out "Jimmy Crack Corn" at the top of my lungs with scotch in one hand and a sand wedge in the other.

For a golfer, life at it's best.
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 05:38:18 AM »
        Only place I have ever belted out "Jimmy Crack Corn" at the top of my lungs with scotch in one hand and a sand wedge in the other.

For a golfer, life at it's best.

It's 5:30 AM, and I am laughing my ass off in NYC visualizing Dr Gene holding court!

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 07:34:23 AM »
I have always loved the Pinecrest. My only complaint was having 4 guys sharing 1 bathroom. Not a problem during my college days but at this point I prefer a maximum person to bathroom ratio of 2:1.

I must say that everytime I visit the Pinecrest I realize how much Billy is missed. 

BTW While visiting Pinehurst make it a point to visit The Track Restaurant which is located within the track at Pinehurst. Ran turned me on to their blueberry pancakes which are awesome!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 07:41:37 AM by Rob_Waldron »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 08:12:37 AM »
I am on record here on many occasions as loving the Pine Crest, the "golfiest place in the world." 

Billy was an outstanding bartender.  I hadn't been there for about 18 months ten years ago, walked into the bar to meet friends at almost midnight, and he looked over and asked, "J&B and water?"  He is missed.

rjsimper

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 08:42:44 AM »
The only reason not to stay there is if you are bringing your better half, or you are the type that requires luxurious accommodations.  Make no mistake about it, the rooms are mostly spartan at best...mostly clean, mostly small, mostly unimpressive.

All that said, I love the place and a finer deal you will not find with a great breakfast and dinner included in your room.  Others will cover the social scene no doubt.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 12:05:48 PM »
The only reason not to stay there is if you are bringing your better half, or you are the type that requires luxurious accommodations.  Make no mistake about it, the rooms are mostly spartan at best...mostly clean, mostly small, mostly unimpressive.

All that said, I love the place and a finer deal you will not find with a great breakfast and dinner included in your room.  Others will cover the social scene no doubt.

Ryan, you talking about the piano bar where the local blue-haired ladies hang out?

And the nightly chipping contest is not to be missed.  I think Crenshaw is the record holder, 20 out of 20.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2008, 01:00:09 PM »
Sadly I was forced to stay at another hotel. Dinner and drinks there were the best. It is my next home in Pinehurst.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2008, 01:43:42 PM »
Yeah the Blue Hairs are tough, but the 17-25 year old wait staff has proven to be surmountable (or just mountable?) by many a college golf team....

They are like Kelly McGillis in Top Gun....

"I see new hotshots every 8 weeks...I bet you can figure that out..."
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Kalen Braley

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2008, 03:18:34 PM »
Wow,

This place sounds like a hostel for lonely and lost golfers.

Do you have to share your bed with some creepy guy too?   ;)

Brad Tufts

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2008, 04:17:05 PM »
Kalen...I think the best part of it is that you walk in after a flight or two, and the 75 min drive from the RDU airport, all annoyed from inevitable travel BS, look at the great porch out front with the bar, and the slightly shabby "lobby" with the kitchy golf stuff and the cracked Ross portrait and the piano bar...and you think, gee, this isn't the place for me, what have I gotten myself into...

Fast Forward 6-7 hours later, after a round at an area layout, you have been treated to a soup/salad, the relish tray, dinner, dessert, and the obligatory 4 or 5 drinks...and you belly up to the piano bar and give Clarence your best "American Pie" or "Mustang Sally" at the top of your lungs while trying to chip into the fireplace...

Then you spend the next 50 years of your life trying to weasel your way back to experience that moment over and over again...
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

PCCraig

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2008, 04:46:20 PM »

BTW While visiting Pinehurst make it a point to visit The Track Restaurant which is located within the track at Pinehurst. Ran turned me on to their blueberry pancakes which are awesome!

I second the track. A very cool place to eat breakfast. You can watch them hotwalk the hourses while you wait for a table.
H.P.S.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2008, 05:31:55 PM »
Wow,

This place sounds like a hostel for lonely and lost golfers.

Do you have to share your bed with some creepy guy too?   ;)

Not that there's anything wrong with that!  ;D

Brad, you get it re: the Pine Crest!

Jim Briggs

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2008, 06:52:25 PM »

I saw Ryan's comment above saying that the only reason not to stay there is if you are bringing your better half.  My wife, after only 4 years of playing, is a solid bogey golfer, who's first words to me after we played our first round together was "wow...an ice cold bear after a round of golf is awesome!...I'll have another please..."  She also would mix it up in a chipping contest as well.

We've talked about getting down to the Pinehurst area, and just wondering whether given the description above, I should have the Pine Crest Inn on my consider list.

rjsimper

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2008, 07:42:54 PM »
Jim
If she is a bogey golfer and is coming as a golf trip, I am sure she'd enjoy the PC - I meant more if the better half is coming along and prefers to spend her time at the spa or antiquing while the boys hit the links.

Scott Stearns

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2008, 08:00:09 PM »
i'll give you a reason to stay elsewhere--the beds.

bar--10/10

beds, rooms 2/10

drink there-stay at the holly.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2008, 08:06:58 PM »

I saw Ryan's comment above saying that the only reason not to stay there is if you are bringing your better half.  My wife, after only 4 years of playing, is a solid bogey golfer, who's first words to me after we played our first round together was "wow...an ice cold bear after a round of golf is awesome!...I'll have another please..."  She also would mix it up in a chipping contest as well.

We've talked about getting down to the Pinehurst area, and just wondering whether given the description above, I should have the Pine Crest Inn on my consider list.

Jim,

My wife loved it a few years ago.  We were there for 3 nights and she knew everybody by their first name and all about their kids by the time we left - reluctantly.  The rooms are indeed spartan - knotty pine look - but I thought the beds were fine and the rooms are not tiny, just plain.  The food is fantastic and the bar is superb.  It's where all the locals hang out.  By contrast, the Carolina is D-E-D dead at night!

Jim Briggs

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2008, 08:18:47 PM »

Thanks Bill.  Good food, good bar, good people and good golf.  It sounds perfect, and the type of trip the two of us would enjoy.  Now I just need to get in on the calendar.

paul cowley

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2008, 09:47:30 PM »
....two yrs ago I watched Arnold P hit a shoulder turned 7 iron into the fireplace....scary. A waitress was putting a big move on him until Kit and others put a stop to it.....priceless.
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

John Moore II

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2008, 11:10:43 PM »
Other than Simper's cheese, that supposedly he eats in buckets while dining at the Pinecrest, is one of the few good things from the dining room. The food, at least what I got, was undersized, overpriced, and not terribly great. Stay there if you want (I never stayed there, only ate dinner) but there are far better places in town to eat dinner.

John Kirk

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2008, 12:06:16 AM »
Great thread.  Funny stuff.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2008, 07:50:20 AM »
Other than Simper's cheese, that supposedly he eats in buckets while dining at the Pinecrest, is one of the few good things from the dining room. The food, at least what I got, was undersized, overpriced, and not terribly great. Stay there if you want (I never stayed there, only ate dinner) but there are far better places in town to eat dinner.

Next time get the 27 oz pork chop that you can break a part with a fork. The bar is fun but so is breakfast in the dining room. Groups comparing different courses they played the day before and preparing to go out in many different directions that day all to return to the same spot. The comments on the guest rooms being "spartan" and the beds being marginal are accurate. Although it's on a lesser scale it reminded me of staying at the Partridge Inn in Augusta.

Chuck Brown

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2008, 03:25:12 PM »
Great minds think alike.  Apart from Pinehurst #2 itself, the Pinecrest is my favorite place in North Carolina.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back