News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Craig Sweet

Pile of sand for a tee
« on: November 05, 2008, 07:21:16 PM »
Is these a course out there were you can use a pile of sand/dirt for your tee? Is anyone still doing this?
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Ronald Montesano

Re: Pile of sand for a tee
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 07:23:30 PM »
I don't know about the sand thing, but I use the old Trevino trick of kicking up a piece of turf and putting my ball on it for par threes.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Billsteele

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 07:41:39 PM »
Craig-At Oakhurst Links (near the Greenbrier in West Virginia), you tee up with a pile of sand and use hickories. What more could you want?

John Moore II

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 08:00:30 PM »
I suppose you could do this anywhere as long as you are willing to carry your own little bad of sand. I doubt any course would say anything negative about it.

mike_beene

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 09:06:21 PM »
Craig,I get enough of that in bunkers.Seems like you wouldn't have anything firm to compress the ball into.

Mark Smolens

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 09:18:27 PM »
When we played our preview round on Old Macdonald last week, they gave us a souvenir brass cone modeled after the molds that they used to use to make the tees with sand.  Maybe they're going to have buckets of wet sand for you to use on the course???  Don't think I wanna try to play that course with hickories. . . three of the par-4s we played went 470, 460, and 510 from the tips.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 01:05:16 PM »
When the Bridges at Gale Ranch in Dublin, CA opened they gave out pewter bag tags that were in the shape of the sand cones used to make tees in the old days. I never actually tried it though.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 02:37:34 PM »
When Alfie Ward organised a Hickory day at Mussleburgh, of course we had sand tees on the astroturf! ;D

Andrew Mitchell show's how its done.

Let's make GCA grate again!

James Boon

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 06:24:04 PM »
I don't know about the sand thing, but I use the old Trevino trick of kicking up a piece of turf and putting my ball on it for par threes.

I saw a pro doing this when I went to the open when I was younger, and did it for a while. Soon stopped though when the ball rolled off the little piece of turf one time at the top of my backswing!

::)

Cheers

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell, Brora, Parkstone, Cavendish, Hallamshire, Sandmoor, Moortown, Elie, Crail, St Andrews (Himalayas & Eden), Chantilly, M, Hardelot Les Pins

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2008, 05:51:40 AM »
When Alfie Ward organised a Hickory day at Mussleburgh, of course we had sand tees on the astroturf! ;D

Thanks for that Tony!  Hopefully you didn't take a photo of where the tee shot actually finished.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Michael Blake

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2008, 10:08:28 AM »

Laura Davies does that and hits driver off of it.  Amazing.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2008, 10:44:32 AM »
I guess that you could at Foxburg CC, seeing as most of the holes still have these:

Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2008, 04:03:49 PM »

Thanks for that Tony!  Hopefully you didn't take a photo of where the tee shot actually finished.

Was this the one? 
Let's make GCA grate again!

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2008, 05:53:22 PM »
When we played our preview round on Old Macdonald last week, they gave us a souvenir brass cone modeled after the molds that they used to use to make the tees with sand.  Maybe they're going to have buckets of wet sand for you to use on the course???  Don't think I wanna try to play that course with hickories. . . three of the par-4s we played went 470, 460, and 510 from the tips.

Why would you need to play from the tips with hickories?
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Bill_McBride

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2008, 05:54:42 PM »
I believe the expression "tee box" comes from the box that held the sand to make tees.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2008, 01:22:23 AM »
I didn't know they even made left handed hickories?!?!?!

Brilliant!!!  ;)

Mike McGuire

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2008, 05:43:09 PM »

On the first tee at Wawashkamo Golf Club on Mackinac Island, Michigan. A little nine holer plays like stepping back in time. Great with hickories. You take a horse up to the course - no vehicles on the island.

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2008, 10:08:27 AM »

Was this the one? 

That would have been a heck of shot Tony, probably about 15 miles!!  I think it actually went about 150 yards and only just got enough height to clear the racecourse rails ;D

Rob
That was a GCA event Tony helped organised with the assistance of Alfie Ward.  The left handed hickories beong to Alfie and were great fun.  Nine holes at Musselburgh with hickories is highly recommended.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back