News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ted Kramer

Re: is this a good use of a tree?
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2008, 08:24:40 AM »
I can almost guarantee that no matter what my ball flight off the tee has looked like up until this point in the round, when I get to this tee:

I will crush a drive, dead straight, right at the tree.

Yes, it is good.

-Ted

Mike McGuire

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2008, 08:34:48 AM »
The tree looks out of place - like someone forgot to take it out when they built the hole. Why  would you spoil a spectacular view of a mountain range with a tree?

Sad architecture.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2008, 08:50:01 AM »
Here is the other thing about the tree - we were discussing repeated holes recently.

Well, the cape hole is oft repeated.  Adding a tree is a way to make it a cape with a twist rather than another cape hole.  Also, good players know pretty much how far they carry the ball.  They can edge out right a bit and add one club to the approach.  What the tree does is make them decided between three of four clubs, which becomes a pretty signfigant decision.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

TEPaul

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2008, 09:22:35 AM »
"Re: Is this a good use of a tree?"

Sure, why not? I can tell you if I stepped on that tee for the first time that tree is the first thing that would get my attention and certainly in influencing what kind of shot to hit.

What's wrong with that? Isn't the essential point of a hole to create some interesting problems to solve? This old notion that trees don't belong on golf courses is quaint and probably just an old linksland excuse for the fact they never had trees on the linksland. That's fine, for the linksland, but golf is played all over the world and there's no reason not to use things that are indigenous elsewhere (like trees) just because there were never any trees on linksland courses! ;)

Mike Hendren

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2008, 09:48:19 AM »
I like this tree so much I would have posted it under the trees thread had I had a photograph.  The tree is right where the better player wants to drive the ball and cannot be carried.  Accordingly, it is highly relevant for the better player.  Lesser players like yours truly can use the tree as an aiming reference.  I aimed right of it, hit a running draw and had only an 8 iron into the green. 

It's more visually appealing than a bunker, requires no maintenance and indigenous to the area - the perfect use of a tree in lieu of a bunker.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Adam Clayman

« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2008, 10:08:08 AM »
Does the hole solely count on the tree for it's strategy and or beauty?
If so, what happens should it fall?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Matt Varney

« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2008, 10:26:35 AM »
I love the trees on this hole I think they are perfect.  I would bet money that 99% of all golfers would play left and the hole shape contours work well for a high fade or even a slice to handle the majority of all golfers. 

Me personally I would stand on that tee pull driver and just swing for the fences to hit the ball as far down the fairway allowing for a fade bailout.  The trees just make it interesting off the tee and give you a couple options to play safe on the right side or take the risk/reward line down the left side.

JESII

« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2008, 10:34:13 AM »
If the tree is 300 from the tips and 260/280 from the 6600 yard tees, who in their right mind could aim left of it?

I'd tend to agree with Jeff Brauer...the common "Cape" tee shot with an added twist.

Matt Varney

« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2008, 10:51:52 AM »
How long is this hole from the back tee?  It looks like maybe 325-350 to the green.

I swear I think I could hit an 8 iron and nail that first tree of the back tee.  That is about a 150 yard shot so if you take driver play inside left of that first tree and swing you have a great chance of playing the high fade on thi cape hole to about 250 yards maybe longer depending how good a player you are. 

Lester George

« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2008, 11:02:12 AM »
That tree works fine for me.  Unless it is moving around during your swing (not stationary) it can be dealt with.  Anybody who hits it deserves what they get.

Lester

Sean Leary

« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2008, 12:22:20 PM »
Just saw this.

A couple of things.

1) as Mike Hendren says, this tree is exactly where you want to hit it. The tee shot plays down hill a bit, so effectively, it affects all players playing from the correct tee boxes. Depending on wind and temperature (how far ball is going), a decision needs to be made.

2) this is a pretty picture, but again (I always harp on this), it is two dimensionial. It in no way does it detract from the beauty of the hole.

3) there is some room, not a ton, short and left of it, but there is an environmental hazard further left and lies can be dicey in the native between the ESA and the tree..

4) on this golf course, there are a few strategic trees like this. All have new trees planted just beyond for the future for when it dies.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 12:28:22 PM by Sean Leary »

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2008, 02:13:02 PM »
If so, what happens should it fall?

Adam,

It looks like they have planted a tree near the larger one just in case that scenario arises. I don't have a problem with the larger tree, but that smaller one to it's left detracts from the overall look.

TK

Tom Naccarato

« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2008, 03:42:41 PM »
There is nothing wrong with that tree. N-O-T-H-I-N-G......

Also, this looks to be one of the best Fazio holes I've ever seen--strategically from the tee. The only thing wrong here is that Jeff Brauer and I are agreeing on something, and that's just not right....Therefore he is wrong, I'm right and the tree is just fine.....

I hope that makes sense.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2008, 03:48:33 PM »
Ok, Now thats settled, Can we talk about the mounds?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2008, 04:20:47 PM »
From this elevaton it kind of interferes with an incredible view of that mountain range.

But it could trick someone into thinking that going left is an option that runs the risk of getting knocked down by the tree. But if you give it a second look, the real risk of going left is in not having enough carry to clear the tall grass. But that all depends on how far you hit it.

Either way, trees are ordinary. Mountain ranges are extraordinary.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2008, 04:59:24 PM »
There is nothing wrong with that tree. N-O-T-H-I-N-G......

Also, this looks to be one of the best Fazio holes I've ever seen--strategically from the tee. The only thing wrong here is that Jeff Brauer and I are agreeing on something, and that's just not right....Therefore he is wrong, I'm right and the tree is just fine.....

I hope that makes sense.

Made perfect sense to me......that's just the way things roll around here!
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Sean Leary

« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2008, 05:00:52 PM »
Ok, Now thats settled, Can we talk about the mounds?

Beyond those mounds is a fairly major road that cuts through the property. By building up up, it cuts down on the noise. I agree that he over did it. I also don't love the bunkers on the outside of the dogleg. Really just aiming bunkers for those going right of the tree.

The other good thing about this hole is that has a very good green. I wish that there wasn't an slight upslope to it in front, but...Probably the best hole on the course.

Mike McGuire

« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2008, 08:13:23 PM »

Barack wins in a landslide and GCA stalwarts like trees in the middle of golf holes. Im opening another bottle of wine.

Sean Leary

« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2008, 08:31:06 PM »
The other thing is that the second big tree you see just left of the first one is either

1) not there anymore or

2)  a visual trick due to the two dimensional nature of the pic.

Sean R,  there is no tree there on the other side of the fairway, correct?

Also. for the US Am qualifer last year, the long hitters were aiming well left of the tee. Absurdly left.

This pic is from the front 3rd tee.  There is another 50 to 75 yards of teeing ground behind this pic.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 08:36:36 PM by Sean Leary »

igrowgrass

« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2008, 08:35:49 PM »

3. It detracts from the beautiful mountain view.

I have stood on this tee almost every morning for two years and never once has it ever crossed my mind that it takes away from the mountain view.  The picture does not do the mountains justice.  In person they tree is not as signifigant against the backdrops of the mountains.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2008, 08:42:32 PM »
why not pust put up a big net? ;D

Seriously though, it looks like its right in play, not my cup of tea.

ChipOat

« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2008, 12:07:09 AM »
Since it is often (incorrectly) perceived that I have a problem with all trees on golf courses, I feel compelled to observe that, from the photograph, this appears to be a tree that I might actually think has some architectural merit.

I would have to actually play the hole to confirm that, but my first impression is promising.

Daryl David

« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2008, 12:27:04 PM »
This is such a great example of why photos are no way to judge a golf hole.  I am confident all of you that have judged the tree to be a detractor would change your mind if you could play the hole 3 to 5 times. 

Long hitters will find the tree a challenge in case they put too much cut on their monster drive down the left.  Not enough cut and they are in the hazard left. 

Shorter hitters must try to hug the tree on the right with a draw in order to get a shorter second.  There is a completely safe play way right (there is actually more fairway than you think behind the hill right of the path), however you are left with over 200 to a very challenging green.

Lots of options, lots of strategy depending on the strength/weakness of your game.  Take the tree out and it is a boring drive.  As far as the view goes; believe me when that mountain is snow covered on a sunny day, no one has ever thought the tree was detracting from the view.

JESII

« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2008, 02:02:13 PM »
Lets get something straight...an earlier post suggested the tree was 300 yards from the back tee, and now Sean Leary is saying the US Am qualifier contestants were aiming absurdly left of the tree...what am I missing?  These guys do not carry the ball 330 yards.

John Moore II

« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2008, 02:05:52 PM »
No, not a good use. Cut it down and give it to a bum to use during the winter in a burn barrel. That would be a good use of a tree.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back