News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Feature Interview with Sandy Tatum Part II is now posted
« on: October 31, 2008, 05:51:45 PM »
Part II is now posted with Mr. Tatum. One of the last great lions of the game, he is connected to it in a way that my generation (I'm forty-five) can only read about from the likes of Darwin, etc.

Think about what this man has seen and done: was at the 1936 Olympics with Hitler and Jesse Owens, helped lead Stanford to back-to-back victories in the 1941 and 1942 NCAA golf tournament and won the individual title in 1942, attended Oxford as a Rhodes scholar and was the first American to play on its golf team, joined the Navy, played in several President's Putter, worked with Jack Neville at Pebble Beach (bet you didn't know that!) in preparation for the 1972 U.S. Open, was president of the USGA, started the successful First Tee program at Harding Park, and has worked on several golf projects including Spanish Bay with his good friend Tom Watson and the Preserve. No wonder Pine Valley Golf Club decided to give him an honorary membership as few people have done more to help the game than this man. 

Mr. Tatum is currently 88 and still plays weekly, remains a practicing attorney, has been married to the same woman (Barbara) for over fifty years  :o , and has raised six children and eleven grandchildren (no surprise, he considers this his greatest accomplishment). And to top it off, he has played CPC over 1,000 times.

Given how relentlessly busy he is, it may not come as a surprise to learn that he has not a clue who - or what - Sponge Bob is (remember: you first heard this breaking news flash here!  8)).

We owe a debt of gratitude to Joel Stewart for taking the time and making these two Feature Interviews happen.  He met with Mr. Tatum on several occasions and taped their conversations, which were then transcribed and signed off by Tatum. We are so fortunate to have Tatum's unique perspective shared with us here and I kick myself for never having done one with Mr. Easterly. I hope to have the opportunity to interview Bill Campbell this winter. Both Joel and Mr. Tatum were very gracious with their time. Indeed, when I flew out to
San Francisco at the start of the month, Joel did the honorable thing and lost  :) to me at Kidd's TPC - Stonebrea, though I congratulate him for extending that match all the way to the sixteenth hole before he disintegrated in the face of my eagle putt.

Next up in two weeks: a Feature Interview on the new Pete Dye Book followed shortly thereafter by one with Mark Rowlinson and Dan Wexler on the new World Atlas of Golf. In the meanwhile, savor this one because it reflects a life well lived and the game has been unbelievably fortunate to count Sandy Tatum as a dear friend for over seven decades.

Cheers,

JMorgan

Re: Feature Interview with Sandy Tatum Part II is now posted
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 06:46:11 PM »
Very touching and illuminating interview, Ran.  Thank you.  Better than any print publication could give us, and a helluva lot more spiritually nourishing to boot. 

Tom Naccarato

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 07:13:22 PM »
Joel,
How could you let him off the hook? My greatest victory was beating Ran at the 19th hole at StonED Eagle. I almost killed David Kelly in the process, serving notice that not even my closest friends can come between me and victory. Especially a victory over Golf's Greatest,--what was it again?

He heard my thunder in the heat of the desert that day my friends....He went down in defeat. I consider this one my GREATEST, because at Friar's Head, Ran would have just used the excuse he was using hickories......He does that. Ted Sturges will hopefully read this and back this fact up.

Great interview by the way! Thanks Joel!

Adam Clayman

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 07:17:29 PM »
Since we had the lovefest over his Part I... Maybe we could discuss some of the meat.

I'm a bit confused about his comment re; the water on Bandon Trails.
  Calling the hole artificial hit me like a ton of bricks. Never did I get that sense. The setting looks amazing to me, in a natural way.
 That leaves two possibilities: Mr. Tatum is hyper-sensitive to water hazards, or, I'm losing, my feel. Which is it? Hmmm....
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Will MacEwen

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 07:21:54 PM »
What is the par 4 on BT he finds so objectionable?  #11?

I echo Adam above - I never noticed it to be artificial. 

Sean Leary

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 07:35:48 PM »
Yep, 11 at BT.

Others here have commented the same. I disagree as well.

JMorgan

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 07:48:23 PM »
Yes by all means, let's form a posse and take 88 year-old legendary Mr. Tatum to the woodshed for disliking the #11 on Bandon Trails.

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 08:31:00 PM »
Coore said the pond had to go somewhere and they usually don't "do water holes" but said he liked the way it ended up.  I too dislike water holes but I don't think it looks to artificial except for the perfectly synchronized birds that fly and land in circles there.

Anyway, great job Joel.  You are lucky guy to spend that much time picking Mr. Tatum's brain!

CPC over 1000 times...my goodness.

DBE

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 09:15:07 PM »
Ran, glad to know you're playing better...

RJ_Daley

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 09:42:31 PM »
David, we GCA guys hope you have a great finish this week, too.  T-6 and in striking distance!  Go get'em.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 09:48:56 PM »
Joel,

It seems to me that he was rather dismissive of Mike Poellote's contribution to the original routing of The Preserve. It would be a good time to ask Mike to speakup.

Otherwise, I thought you did a very good job without having to resort to puff-ball questioning. It is only a pity that one has to submit something like this back to the interviewee for his approval to publish.

Bob

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 10:01:13 PM »
Ran,

Thanks for sharing and I really appreciate Joel asking about Harding and municipal golf in general.

I definitely agree with ST about the water part.  I did not know about  Coore/Crenshaw avoiding water as much as possible.  I don't think I've read that anywhere before.  I wouldn't have thought that from say ... Cuscowilla.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 12:20:21 PM by Patrick Kiser »
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2008, 12:09:41 AM »
It was a treat to do this interview as well as the Grant Speath interview.   This was not intended to be a two part interview but his life is so rich with experiences it just expanded.   

The First Tee comments came about at the end after he invited me to play with him in their annual fund raiser and he was the guest speaker at the awards ceremony.   Being with Sandy Tatum at Harding Park is like being with Tiger Woods at the US Open.  He has rock star status and is literally mobbed everywhere he goes.

David Eger:   Rans game still stinks, I just putted poorly.

Bob Huntley:  Not sure how you surmised that, it wasn't his intent.  I think Peter and himself liked Mikes input but after Peter was killed it probably was a very tough time with some tough choices.

As for Bandon Trails, he liked the course very much.  He just doesn't accept Bills choice that the irrigation pond needed to be placed there and thought it takes the hole out of context with the rest of the course.

For me the best part was talking with him about Oxford which is discussed in part 1.   He almost had tears in his eyes discussing how he was the first American to play for Oxford and how important it was.   Remember there was no TV or internet then and the Americans and British had just banded together to win "that war".   It really should be a movie or at the least a book by itself.

As for the format, the process was we would talk and I taped his answers.  (He insists that he is going to learn how to use a computer.)  I then transcribed them and sent them back to him for an edit.  Some of things he said ended up being cut out because he had second thoughts but also because he is such a gentleman that he didn't want to take any chance on offending anyone.  Regardless, it was amazing how his grasp of the english language, and grammer was so precise for being 88.

Lastly, we had intended to post this a few weeks ago but his travel and business schedule is very tight.  He had to attend the R&A meeting in St. Andrews and then was back to take Tom Watson for a 36 hole round at Cypress Point before Watsons hip surgery.   

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2008, 12:14:13 AM »
He had to attend the R&A meeting in St. Andrews and then was back to take Tom Watson for a 36 hole round at Cypress Point before Watsons hip surgery.   

Legendary!

TEPaul

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2008, 04:35:52 AM »
Ran:

That first post of yours as a lead-in to the Part 2 interview with the remarkable Sandy Tatum, has got to be one of the best "lead-ins" to an interview on anything, ever.

If you feel like giving up your day job I think you have a real future as a truly incisive and inspirational writer!

You're one of the best I've ever heard of on golf course reviews too, but nobody, and certainly not even you, is perfect or even on their analytical or literary game all the time. Unfortunately, I just cannot forget your recommendation that Bill Coore should've melded together into combined fairway the right sides in the tee shot area of the 14th and 15th holes at Sand Hills. What in the world were you thinking there? Could it be that the day before you half-foozled your hickory club tee shot into the rough in that area against Mucci and you were looking for some cheap excuse and someone to easily blame it on, like Bill Coore?

You're surely an excellent writer but even the best of the writers stub their toe occasionally, even the great Ernest Hemmingway. Oh sure, most thought "The Old Man and the Sea" was wonderful and a wonderful lead-in title but those of us who see things with real laser-like perspicuity (or is it perspicacity?), clear on down to the nub-like essence of things, such as Max Behr, know the title should've been "The Old Fish and the Sea."

Adam Clayman

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2008, 10:46:49 AM »
Yes by all means, let's form a posse and take 88 year-old legendary Mr. Tatum to the woodshed for disliking the #11 on Bandon Trails.

The new normal is discussion turns to woodshed theatrics?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Chuck Brown

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2008, 01:54:13 PM »
I shall be forever grateful for this interview.  Thank you.

DBE

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2008, 07:41:20 PM »
Sandy is a wonderful person. 

In his interview he refers to his matches with Harry Easterly.  One story that continues to be told is several years ago on the very first hole at Ballybunion Easterly popped his tee shot up and the ball embedded just off the fairway.  Harry was a Rules maven and being accustomed to taking relief in the USA for any ball embedded through the green, lifted and dropped his ball.  Sandy (not known for his Rules expertise) realized the mistake and immediately penalized his opponent.  Needless to say, there wasn't much conversation between the "Goose" and the "Bulldog" the remainder of the round though it proved to be a conversation piece for years.

My Tatum story goes back several years ago when he invited me to play Cypress Point one Saturday afternoon in January.  His final comment to me during our phone conversation to set the game up was "I hope it's a Scottish day."  Our fourth player, Roger Lapham, withdrew between the locker room and first tee as rain came down so hard, umbrellas were virtually useless.  On the fourth hole, Sandy took out both his hearing aids as water was rendering them useless.  On the sixth tee, with everyones' grips water logged and as far away from the clubhouse as possible, Sandy removed his rainsuit.  We knew we were going to walk in...nope, he pulled another rainsuit out of his bag.  Needless to say, when we got the the 16th tee the sun came out and the wind picked up.  Bloody Marys never tasted so good 30 minutes later.    He got his wish for that "Scottish Day."

I've since played several more times with Sandy, mostly at SFGC.  His new grudge match opponent is Grant Spaeth (another Stanford, Oxford, USGA man).  They spar unlike anyone I've known...keeping both men younger than their years.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2008, 12:11:19 AM »
Thats a good story.

Last week I was talking with him and told him I really should interview his wife.  I told him the reason he is so admired is if found a woman that allowed him to travel the world and when he came back late on a Friday night and decided to play golf on Saturday she would let him.  All of this while raising 6 children.  This is a major accomplishment.

He told me a story that his wife actually took up golf reluctanctly so she could spend some time with him.  A few years back they played in a mixed tournament at San Francisco and they both played really well.  It was alternate shot and on the 17th tee, he figured they could go 6 - 6 and win the tournament.  His competitive juices are really flowing.

He hits his usual perfect drive on #17 but Barbara toes the 2nd shot into the deep rough.  Sandy then goes over and hits a flyer that goes over the green and lands in a bush.   He runs up there and searches the bush and finds the ball.  Amazingly its sitting pretty good and she has a shot.  He comes out of the bush and tells Barbara that she has a shot.  He pulls her 8 iron out of her bag and shows her how to hood it and chip the ball out.

She looks at him and says " your finger nails are disgusting".   

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2008, 09:50:38 AM »
Good to see Sandy offer an acknowledgement to Jim Summers, a man who taught me ALOT about golf, golf course work, and life.............here's to ya Jim!

Tom
the pres

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2009, 04:58:44 PM »
Just an FYI, Sandy and Barbara Tatum are celebrating their 6o year anniversary this week.   60 YEARS.  It elicipses anything the man has done in golf and is just an amazing accomplishment.  I'm sure he would be pissed if he knew that I had posted this but he doesn't use a computer and is in Hawaii for 10 days to celebrate.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2009, 09:39:14 PM »
Joel,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, and THANKS to you and Ran for detailing this wonderful interview.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back