News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris_Clouser

Purgatory Golf Club (w/pics)
« on: August 03, 2007, 08:48:03 PM »
Purgatory Golf Club
Noblesville, Indiana

Just north of Noblesville, Indiana is the Purgatory Golf Club.  With over 125 bunkers and multiple ponds around the course, there are several places for the player to find punishment and peril.  But this Ron Kern designed gem is about much more than penal golf.  It is one of the true gems of the Indiana landscape and explosion of high-quality golf courses in the last fifteen years across the state.
The accolades for the course were received almost immediately as it was recognized as a great layout by publications like Golf Digest and Golf Week.  The Merchant family opened the facility and hired Indiana native Ron Kern to layout the course.  Kern’s original idea was to develop the course based on solid links like features and the conceptual philosophies of famed architect Alister Mackenzie.  Throughout the routing there are noticeable nods to the genius of Mackenzie.  
   Since the course was opened to the public there have been two things that have always been held against the layout.  The first was the vast number of limestone sand filled bunkers that exist on the landscape.  Kern laid out the lacy edged bunkers in a way similar to the style of Mackenzie as his fine courses at Cypress Point and the Valley Club.  They not only use a similar style, but also many of the same strategic uses.  The bunker hides the preferred lines of play on many of the holes and make for heroic carries on what is a somewhat boring landscape.  Kern also mixes in his own philosophy with the bunkering by pinching in the fairways at certain locations.  But more than adequate width still remains for the player that is less than a scratch.  
   The second major point of emphasis for the detractors is the creation of what are termed the Purgatory tees.  The course can play up to a maximum distance of 7,754 yards with one hole playing at a whopping 741.  But with six sets of tee boxes, the course is more than flexible and can accommodate any game.  Some argue that the course is actually much more interesting from the white and blue tee boxes totaling 6,422 and 6,796 yards respectively.  Even with all of this possible length around the course, the variety of the hole designs bring out the brilliance of the layout.  
   The look of Purgatory was also different that anything else seen to that point in Indiana golf.  The wide-open course with only a few trees over a wind swept terrain was awe-inspiring.  The use of the high fescue grass also added a wonderful visual element to the terrain that accentuated the contours of the landscape.  The visual aspects of the terrain are also brought to the forefront by the wonderful conditioning and maintenance of the grounds.  Since the opening of the course, the in-house crew has overseen some changes to the original layout, elimination of a pond short of the 11th green and elimination of the stream that bisected the 4th fairway.  
   Even with all of the overwhelming things about the conditioning, maintenance, hazards and wonderful scale, the best element of the golf course are the green complexes.  On other Kern courses his complexes seemed to have similar qualities throughout.  But his skill had truly evolved to the next level when given the chance to put together the greens at Purgatory.  Perhaps Kern was channeling Alister Mackenzie when he laid them out, but it is unlikely that someone could find a more varied and challenging set in the state of Indiana.  There are a few subtle putting surfaces for some to catch their breath, such as the second.  But for the most part they are highly undulating velvet carpets that make for interesting approach shots and putts once aboard the dance floor.  The greens at Purgatory used a combination of slope, contouring and run offs to provide interesting choices from around and on the green.  Some of the more varied greens include the Redan style third, the front to back sloping eighth, the pimple protected eleventh and the three tiered seventh.  The best green on the course may belong to the sixth though.  It is clearly divided in three sections with a false front and bunkers protecting the entrance.  The back right runs off into a chipping area and the rest of the green is divided into slight shelves with a subtle punchbowl on the back left side.  The green was also designed to have a short iron or wedge hit into on a mid-length par four.  It is an example of how the shot required and the target match perfectly.  This is something that occurs on every hole at Purgatory.  
Though the course at Purgatory sounds difficult, it is rewarding for those that play wisely from the tee.  The experience though is among the best in Indiana and perhaps the top of any list in the state.  But that does not mean you won’t have to work to get around the course.  No one gets through Purgatory without working through a few of his or her golfing transgressions.

Hole by hole

Hole 2 – 442 yards – Recognized as one of the top 18 holes in the Indy area by a local website.  Has a beautiful cape-style drive over a pond.  The green is tucked tightly between a bunker and the water.  The green is actually the least contoured on the course.  

From the tee

Hole 3 – 173 yards – A wonderful version of the Redan with only the entrance to the green visible from the tee.  The green runs smoothly down from the front right to the back left.  Pin locations on the front are nearly impossible, but the ones on the back left may be the easiest on the hole due to the green contouring.  The beautiful bunker on the left side is to be avoided at all costs.  My favorite par three on the course.

From behind the green

Hole 4 – 445 yards – The narrowest driving hole on the course with the fairway running between trees and downhill over an area that used be a stream.  The stream was eliminated but the beauty of the hole in the evening is almost unmatched on the course.  The green is a wonderful complex with a deep catch basin on the right and contouring that goes away from any player that finds the area.

View left of the green with the large chipping area beside the green.  

Hole 6 – 417 yards – Perhaps the best mid-length hole on the course.  The drive appears to run into a dead end as Kern has placed the bunkers to conceal the dogleg of the fairway from left to right.  The approach is slightly uphill and into the prevailing breeze to the smallest green on the course.  The green is also the most contoured.  Three distinct sections exist with a chipping area behind.  Two bunkers also protect the front of the green with a false front.  Much more difficult than the yardage would have you believe.

The sixth green with the seventh green in the distance and the sixth fairway to the right.

Hole 8 – 481 yards – The longest par four on the course is possibly my favorite.  The tee shot is somewhat blind as the tee ball will more than likely clear the slight crest and roll down the hill.  In a lot of ways it reminds me of the 13th at Crystal Downs.  The second reinforces that feeling with the movement of the terrain down to the green complex.  Two large bunkers protect the favored left side, but they stop well short of the green.  The green is a favorite as well with it being two-tiered and the front being the higher level.  Running beyond hole locations on the front creates a difficult come backer up the rise.  The approach might be the toughest shot on the course.

View from behind the green showing the reversed two-tiered green.

Back nine on the next post.

Chris_Clouser

Re:Purgatory Golf Club (w/pics)
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 08:51:22 PM »
Hole 11 – 390 yards – Another mid-length par four.  Originally a stream ran across the fairway, but it was covered and the rock wall remains as a defense on the left side.  It adds a nice esthetic value to the hole.  The green is the key to the hole with a huge pimple on the front side that when accompanied with the right to left slant of the green makes for a difficult up and down for most approaches.

View of green from fairway.  Knob in front is prominent from this far out.

Hole 12 – 202 yards – The twelfth is almost a perfect amalgam of all the typical defenses of the course.  The pond is just short enough that it should not come into play unless it just psyches the player out on the tee.  The bunkers are nasty defenses as well, but most players tend to over club.  This leads them into a difficult chip from the deep caverns to the right and behind the hole that are at fairway height.  A really clever hole.

From the tee.

Hole 14 – 454 yards – Another excellent par four.  The fairway runs from left to right with two large bumps in the fairway protecting the landing zone.  The green is benched into the hillside in the distance and is protected by two deep bunkers, the closest to the green nearly ten feet in depth.  The green is split by a spine.  Avoid the bunkers and the humps in the fairway and it is a piece of cake.

From the tee

The place you do not want to be

Hole 17 – 159 yards – The shortest par three and perhaps the signature hole of the course.  There is a ton of sand on the hole but there is a reason besides bedeviling the player.  The hole is homage to Mackenzie’s famous fifteenth hole at Cypress Point.  But without the ocean and the natural beauty of the Monterrey Peninsula to draw upon, Kern laid out eight large bunkers around the hole to provide that same feeling of isolation for the green complex.

The intimidating tee shot

Hole 18 – 524 yards – The best of the par fives finishes the round.  It features a split fairway with the left providing a slightly shorter avenue to the green and the right being the safer side, but increasing the need for three shots to reach the target.  This hole was a clear inspiration from the work of Mackenzie by Kern.

The tee shot

The hazards that split the fairways

Those that lay up on their approach have this clear shot into the green.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 09:54:11 PM by Chris_Clouser »

Jordan Wall

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 12:20:25 AM »
Isn't there some sort of 740 yard par-5, uphill at Purgatory, or am I thinking of somewhere else?

JLahrman

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 12:24:49 AM »
I played this course a few years ago.  Between the name and the abundance of bunkers I was expecting a gimmicky course but actually I found it to be a very solid layout.  In particular I liked the par 4s on the back nine - 14, 15, and 16.

13 isn't uphill but it is about 740 if one goes all the way back.  The 620 tees are quite long enough.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 07:51:32 AM by JAL »

John Nixon

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 07:10:54 AM »
Thanks Chris - I will post a more thought-out repsonse later, but I just wanted to add that I believe Kern is not responsible  for either the gimmicky name and "theme" of the course, nor the waaay back tees on #13. Those were both solely at the whims of the course owner, I don't think Ron particularly likes either of them.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 07:11:40 AM by John Nixon »

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2007, 07:23:43 AM »
John is correct.  The way back tee on 13 and the name were done by the owner.  To be honest the 13th is perhaps the weakest hole on the course as the hole runs over a completely flat piece of terrain alongside highway 37 and is what you see if you drive by.  But it has a wonderful green complex.  

There were just too many good holes and I didn't have enough good photos to share some of them.  

JAL,

It's funny you mention those holes because when I first played there the stretch of 14 to 16 was the part of the course I liked the least.  Now I think it might be the best 3 hole stretch on the course.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2007, 03:24:00 PM »
Chris:

I too really like Purgatory -- save for the silly additional back tee at #13.

If the thoughts was to produce a conversation item then the net result is more negative than positive. At 740 yards long the hole becomes nothing more than a mindless slog.

Ron Kern did a superb job -- no need to throw in some amateurish element when the rest of the work there is so solid.

What's so funny is that when you play the 1st hole you begin to wonder if the layout is going to be a bore. That immediately ends when you stand on #2 tee.

A first rate public layout that would get even more attention if located in one of the larger USA metro areas.

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2007, 07:46:23 PM »
Matt,

I agree with all of your comments.  If they switched the nines and that short par 4 was the tenth hole it would be just about a perfect public course.

John Nixon

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 10:42:41 AM »
Thanks for the pics Chris. Nice.

I agree that the greens and green complexes and Purgatory are a real step forward for Mr. Kern. I was really impressed with them. If played from the proper tees I don't think the course is unduly hard tee to green, but there's some real thought that needs to go into your short game.

I've only played it once, and that was in near-gale conditions, but I look forward to my next round.

John Nixon

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 10:26:02 AM »

I've only played it once, and that was in near-gale conditions, but I look forward to my next round.

OK, 14 months later I finally got my "next" round in yesterday   :D

Better weather conditions this time, still breezy, but in this case just enough of a breeze to be a factor in club and shot selection. Conditioning, given the lateness of the season, was not prime, but pretty dang good.

I came away from this round even more impressed with the job Mr. Kern did with the green complexes - they may be the best I've played in the state. It was nice the second time around to be able to focus more on those types of details. A few thoughts:

#2 - not sure this design works as well as intended under the conditions yesterday. Of our threesome no one was able to prevent his tee shot from running through the fairway into (or through) the bunkers on the far side of the fairway. That's partly a function of testing your ability to hit the correct shot, of course, but there's very little margin of error.

#4 -  what a great par 4. Narrow drive, but a pretty generous landing area once you're through the trees. One of the best green complexes on the course. Lots of catch basins and runoffs.

#8 - perhaps the toughest approach on the course. The green slopes severely front to back - with a front pin and a too-long approach you're facing one tough up and down.

#14-18 - five very strong holes in succession. 15 and 16 in particular (both par 4s) are among my faves in the area.

One thing that strikes me about the design is the degree to which no hole resembles another. The par 3s, in particular, show outstanding variety. The course, as has been said before, is a real test. Forces you to play within yourself. 

« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 10:44:03 AM by John Nixon »

Richard Boult

Re: Purgatory Golf Club (w/pics)
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 04:29:21 PM »
Thanks for contributing our 1st Indiana Photo Tour!

http://delicious.com/golfclubatlas/Indiana

Brian Joines

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2008, 02:32:28 PM »
Art,

Chris has several other Indiana course profiles that he did as a series last year. I'll try and dig some up for you.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2008, 04:37:20 PM »
I played Purgatory in a steady light rain back in May. We walked 18 and it was very enjoyable. However, I would rank this course behind the Trophy Club and the Fort.
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back