News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chip Gaskins

While looking for the new World Golf Atlas book I ran across this one....Has anyone seen this book yet?

I pre-ordered this book as well.  I love Colt!

# Hardcover: 256 pages
# Publisher: Totem Books (February 25, 2009)
# Language: English
# ISBN-10: 1848310250
# ISBN-13: 978-1848310254

Product Description
For golfers passionate about challenging courses steeped in character, Peter Pugh's spectacular book lets players discover the rich heritage of their favorite golfing turf. Colt's definitive 18 holes, as chosen by golf's most distinguished commentator Bruce Critchley, and a foreword from five-time Open champion Peter Thomson, accompany stunning photographs and wonderful personal tales. This book will enlighten all lovers of the game about a special group of courses with unparalleled pedigree and a common bond - Harry Colt.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 10:56:43 AM by Chip Gaskins »

Scott Macpherson

Re: The Golf Courses of Harry Colt - Creating Classics (New Book?)
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 11:24:56 AM »
Chip,,

I am Colt fan too and have pre-ordered this book (which seems have have been delayed from its original publishing date??).

I am not expecting it to be the definitive guide however. The rumour mill has it that the author wrote to the owners/ managers of most Colt courses and asked if they wanted to pay to be involved in a new book on Colt designed courses. Those that didn't pay aren't included. I would like to know if this story is true? e.g. If Wentworth didn't pay, could you imagine their two courses being omitted? I can't believe an author or publisher would risk the integrity of the book by doing that.

Guess I have to wait and see.....and hopefully I be pleasantly surprised :)

scott

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 11:35:49 AM »
"The rumour mill has it that the author wrote to the owners/ managers of most Colt courses and asked if they wanted to pay to be involved in a new book on Colt designed courses. Those that didn't pay aren't included. I would like to know if this story is true?.. I can't believe an author or publisher would risk the integrity of the book by doing that..."

Scott, I have no idea if that is what happened in this case, but I wouldn't be surprised as I am quite aware of other course(s) where that very thing is what occurred.

Scott Macpherson

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 11:49:30 AM »
Really Philip! Am I being naive?

If this book does not include any of Colts landmark designs like Rye, Sunningdale, Muirfield, Swinley Forest, St Georges, Wentworth, The Eden Course (St Andrews), Pine Valley, the book is not even good as a coaster.  :-\

Scott

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 01:08:09 PM »
My initial enthusiasm after reading Chip's first post has somewhat waned in light of Philip's comments.  I think I'll wait until some reviews are available before hitting the "buy now" button.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Chris Garrett

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 02:31:56 PM »
Guess what just arrived? 

It is a behemoth of a book, definitely not one to read on the train.  A very quick glance (I am working, after all) reveals 400+ pages, lots of great photos, and a venerable roster of courses covered.

Looking forward to taking a better look this evening.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 02:49:13 PM »
I just got mine at lunch and gave it a quick run through.  I don't know Colt's repetoire completely, but all the names I know are in there plus some more.  My only dissapointment is that apparently Alison did the US courses so some of my favorites of CA that I actually have played are not detailed.  Do I smell a second volume?
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Scott Warren

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 03:03:06 PM »
Did Royal Zoute get a mention?

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 03:12:34 PM »
Its a great book, very good value. Plenty on ebay too.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

PCCraig

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 03:30:34 PM »
Are none of the US courses covered?
H.P.S.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 04:28:41 PM »
Pat- Only Pine Valley. There is a section on Colt Abroad, it deals mainly with the Dutch courses, it's a great buy as is Scott's book on 'the evolution of St Andrews' another absolute must.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

PCCraig

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 04:30:52 PM »
Pat- Only Pine Valley. There is a section on Colt Abroad, it deals mainly with the Dutch courses, it's a great buy as is Scott's book on 'the evolution of St Andrews' another absolute must.

That is a major bummer for me!

It will still make a nice addition to the collection though.
H.P.S.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2009, 06:02:22 PM »

Adrian can you say a bit more about what you like about the book? Thanks. 
Let's make GCA grate again!

David Stamm

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2009, 07:46:50 PM »

That is a major bummer for me!

Ditto. I was hoping Kirtland, Century, Hamilton etc would be included. It still sounds like a must however.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Sean_A

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2009, 02:18:14 AM »

Adrian can you say a bit more about what you like about the book? Thanks. 

I think Tony and myself are of the same thoughts on this book.  Its a must because there is nothing else out there on Harry, but the book does have its shortcomings and to be honest I was a bit disappointed.  Its not in the class of the Big 3 of this genre (Mac, Dr Mac and Ross books) and Colt certainly deserves this sort of treatment.  That said, I really do think there are some cool choices of courses profiled and I like that each course was treated in a different way.  Buy it, but keep hoping somebody puts out a book that really does Colt justice.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Brian Phillips

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2009, 03:48:26 AM »
This review on amazon.co.uk from a Paul Turner (I presume this is our own Paul Turner) sums up my opinion of the book perfectly:

"this book seems to be a light and rushed effort and disappoints because it adds very little to what is already published on Colt and his partners. Unlike the other recent bios on Ross, Mackenzie and Macdonald which have a lot of depth.

I got the impression that the authors are unfamiliar with the majority of courses reviewed and didn't do the necessary leg work. There are some curious choices of courses to review: Hankley Common included with only 3 Colt holes? Ditto for Royal Worlington, Formby, Ganton, Alwoodley.. all not really Colt courses. On the flip side, many excellent purely Colt courses have been inexplicably left out. There's also only one course in the USA: Pine Valley. None from Canada? Virtually nothing on Alison in Japan.

There are quite a lot of mistakes too in the stated facts, labeling of photos etc

On the plus side, many of the modern photos are great and the big find are the original Colt sketches of Edgbaston GC which are very nice."

I feel exactly the same and the book just comes across as rushed and that the authors have jumped on the bandwagon of Colt appreciation that was started a number of years ago.

There is not too much new in the book that cannot be found elsewhere but they have put together a fine mix of pictures and text which we have not had before.

I only wish Paul Turner would get his book finished as I really believe with the right publisher he will produce something outstanding.
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2009, 05:27:14 AM »
The same authors have approached The Alister Mackenzie Society with an idea to do a similar book on Mackenzie and asking if we could give them our research info to enable them to do it. Their request was politely declined......

Rich Goodale

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2009, 05:44:08 AM »
The same authors have approached The Alister Mackenzie Society with an idea to do a similar book on Mackenzie and asking if we could give them our research info to enable them to do it. Their request was politely declined......

Cheeky boys!

PCCraig

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2009, 08:03:16 AM »

Why is that? Are you planning your own book?
H.P.S.

Chris Garrett

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2009, 08:08:54 AM »
For those interested, here is a list of the courses covered:

Sunningdale
St. George's Hill
Swinley Forest
Wentworth
Hankley Common
Blackmoor
Stoke Park
Tandridge
Royal Winbledon
Beaconsfield
Moor Park
Rye
Lytham & St. Annes
Formby
Royal Liverpool
Muifield
The Eden
Alwoodley
Ganton
Ilkey
Manchester
Prestbury
Burnham & Berrow
Trevose
Aderdovey
Southerndown
Royal Porthcawl
Pyle & Kenfig
Borth & Ynyslas
Royal Worlington & Newmarket
Woodhall Spa
Edgbaston
Moseley
Harborne
County Sligo
Royal Portrush
Royal Belfast
Royal Dublin
Royal County Down
Pine Valley
Kennemer
Royal Hague
Eindhoven
Hilversum
De Pan
Saint-Germain
Le Touquet
Saint-Cloud

I'll echo the Paul Turner posted review... there are glaring editing mistakes, and little original material.  Much the book simply reprints material from Hawtree, Darwin, Cornish, etc., and uses many of the same photographs which fill the pages of Anthony Edgeworth's Legendary Golf Club/Links books.  Still, I'm quite happy to have it, and was well worth the $50.40 it cost on Amazon.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back