News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Yost

Kapalua Plantation Course - review with photos
« on: April 21, 2008, 04:40:59 PM »
I got to play a round at the Kapalua Plantation course during my recent visit to Maui. Summarizing the experience in a quick paragraph isn't easy but I'll offer a brief review along with some photos. 

For the first-timer, the Plantation is a difficult test on very severe terrain made even more interesting by the steady 30 mph tradewinds. Although the fairways were quite generous, any ball hit off of the turf area will be lost or certainly unplayable in the thick jungle vegetation.  This is a course that one could not expect to conquer on first visit, a lot of knowledge is needed with greens and some of the fairway slopes and aiming points for the blind shots. The advice about putts "break toward the ocean" is obvious, but no way one could anticipate the some of the optical illusions on the greens. Coupled with the totally distracting vistas of the ocean and overall scenic beauty, the Plantation course offers a substantial test.

Despite the challenges, it was just plain fun. I played with three strangers, all first-timers, all in the handicap range of 9-16 or so, and all with the good humor to enjoy the experience.  No grumbling about unfairness or difficulty, we all just shrugged and laughed as we proceeded thru the day with the frequent looks of "WTF?" We played the 6500 yard tees and I shot a 97 and am damn happy about it!  Only lost three balls.  I managed to cope with the wind pretty well on tee shots and approaches, but really ran into problems on the greens, both adjusting for wind and break, resulting in five three putts and many failures to get up and down.  Nonetheless, we all had a great time and an enjoyable morning.

Some photos for your viewing pleasure:

^ A view of the green on the long par 4 first from the landing zone.  I duffed two shots off of the tee and from where I was, I could not see the crap in the valley short of the green. Without consulting the GPS, I launched a 3-wood right at the green only to arrive to see the dense foliage  that had swallowed the first of three ProV1s that I lost this day.   Something else - this green appears to be severely sloped back to front, but after three tries to get to the hole from above, I realized the green is actually fairly flat.

^ Shot to the par 5 fifth green, a "cape" hole surrounded by jungle vegetation. Intimidating shot with uncertainty of club selection due to wind and elevation factors.

^ Blind tee shot on #6.  Note the bunker that splits the fairway and the aiming target just right of that. 

^ 6th green from the edge of fairway.  I hadn't hit a drive far enough to have this view, I had to use the aiming pole.  Definitely want to stay left as a bank left of the green feeds everything to the right.

^ Par 3  #8.  My fat tee shot fell short into the junk which claimed ProV1 #2.

^ Par 5 ninth from tee shot landing area.  Uphill dead into the wind.  From here I crushed a 150 yard 3-wood that barely cleared the valley.   :o

^ Tenth (?) green. Nothing to show architecturally, just an awesome view of the ocean and the neighboring island of Molokai.

^ Me on the tee of the medium par 3 eleventh.  I really should do something about that gut  :P

« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 04:54:58 PM by Tom Yost »

Tom Yost

Re: Kapalua Plantation Course - review with photos
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 04:49:35 PM »
continued ...

^ Blind tee shot on #12.  The guide said to keep it as close to the right edge of the left side bunkers as possible which was good advice as all of us hit shots dead center of the fairway and all funneled down to a hollow to the right of the green.  A shot kept to the left would feed down to the very front of the green.

^ #17, another "cape" hole with awesome views of the ocean beyond.

^ The famous downhill, downwind par 5 18th.

^ Not sure which hole but this pic gives an idea of the windy conditions.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 04:55:41 PM by Tom Yost »

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 05:33:29 PM »
Great pics Tom!

That first green probably is "downhill" but the pull of the ocean makes it putt flat. Same thing happens at Northland in Duluth, MN. You can have an "uphill" putt that actually plays downhill.
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Greg Krueger

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 05:38:30 PM »
Tom, Thank you for the great pictures! Looks like you had a great day. Sure do miss the old bunkers :(

Jeff Evagues

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 06:20:50 PM »
The Plantation is by far my favorite course on Maui. I finally reached 18 in 2 this Feb. after at least 40 rounds. The only hole I would change is # 4 - I never liked the look of it.
Be the ball

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back