News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kirk

Re: One's Personal Top Ten
« Reply #100 on: October 19, 2008, 01:47:35 PM »
First Rock Creek reference noted.  Rock Creek is really a nice golf course.  Good call.  For me it is presently sitting in the second 10.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #101 on: October 19, 2008, 01:56:02 PM »
Shivas,

I think if you did this list even two years ago, there would be no way that Lost Dunes wouldn't be on it.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Jack Davis

« Reply #102 on: October 19, 2008, 02:23:57 PM »
My top ten-

1. Spyglass Hill
2. Pebble Beach
3. San Francisco
4. Plainfield
5. Harbour Town
6. The Meadow Club
7. Somerset Hills
8. Baltusrol Lower
9. Ridgewood
10. Ballyowen

Wish I could include courses I've had the opportunity to walk - CPC, WFW, Shinnecock...all in good time
Jack Davis, PGA
Essex County Club

Mike Salinetti

« Reply #103 on: October 19, 2008, 02:39:57 PM »
Harbour Town Golf Links

Pine Valley

Augusta

Pebble Beach

Merion

NGLA

TPC Sawgrass

Baltusrol

Haig Point

CC of the Poconos

Mike Salinetti
Golf Course Superintendent
Berkshire Hills Country Club
Pittsfield, MA

Robert Emmons

« Reply #104 on: October 19, 2008, 04:06:41 PM »
Augusta
Seminole
Shinnecock
NGLA
Fishers Island
Merion
Highland Links
Jasper
Pebble Beach
Pacific Dunes

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #105 on: October 19, 2008, 09:02:48 PM »
I am surprised that Baltusrol Lower received so many votes.  I'd rather play the Upper.  Was sit the course that caused so many to list it or the experience of being there?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #106 on: October 19, 2008, 11:39:01 PM »

I have in mind Bob H's statement that he is looking for a top 10 that "stirred the soul", not the best courses. My experiences have primarily been on the west coast and Scotland and am sure that if I had been to the great East Coast courses, Ireland and Australia, this list may look much different. This will involve some description of how the soul had been stirred so here goes, in no particlar order:

1)   In 1985 I played Pebble for the first time. I will never forget the walk up from the 8th tee onto the fairway and what was laid out in front of me and to the right. I do not believe any location can compare.

2)   On my first trip to St Andrews, hearing the starter at the Old Course on the loudspeaker, coming out with "Play away, please" in a high-pitched yet comforting voice. I was shaking.

3)   Teeing off from the original first tee at Banff, which was over the pro shop and part of the Banff Spring Hotel, which in itself is a wonder. The tee has been moved and that hole is now much, much later in the round.

4)   Ballyneal - The experience was so special. Played there a year ago and the head pro, Matt, and I were the only people on the course. Wind was blowing freely. Out in the middle of America with not a sole or a house in site. Playing a wonderful and unique course. I felt totally relaxed.

5)   Pasatiempo - It feels like home. First played there in 1984 or 1985 and did not want to leave. Returned there this year on two occasions and it was even better, with the restoration of the bunkers by Tom D. and Jim Urbina. Very unpretentious place. Just good and unique golf with the MacKenzie mystique.

6)   Cypress Point - Returned there this year, about 22 years after my first visit. It was even better than I had recalled. There is something mystical about the bunkers around and behind the 13th green. Having my best round of the year did not hurt. The place is so spectacular but so unassuming. Just pure golf, no yardage markers, easy walking, beautiful and strategic.

7)   Capilano - Probably the best routing I have ever seen.  Played it this year for the first time in 5 or 6 years with John Mayhugh and Sean Leary from this group. After hanging around this web site for a few years, I am so much more aware of shot options, the alternatives of a bump and run into the green, all of which is the antithesis of target golf. I wonder if Thompson and MacKenzie ever heard of the term, "target golf". Finally, having a drink with friends in the men's locker room at Capilano. Unbelievable place with a view to the mountains, the 16th and 17th below, etc.

8)   Turnberry Ailsa - Like most of us in North America, before crossing the Atlantic, we had only seen the great old courses on TV and of course, there was no depth perception or relief. It looked so damn flat and boring, no trees, what the hell was so great?  The evening we arrived in Scotland in 1991 we walked out to the Ailsa course, past where Jack hit his approach on 18 in the 1976 Open, and then beyond. I soon reached No 5, nestled down in the dunes. It was then I began to understand links golf. Trees are not needed. The wind was so much more of a factor than on North American courses. Over the next few weeks of that year, I became a convert to links golf, fast and firm, etc.

9)   Chambers Bay - Park your car, walk over to the edge. Man! It blows you away! I swear that if NBC is still covering the US Open in 2015, there are spots out there where you can see every hole on the course and they can probably save on cameras as a result. No. 10 is a hole you will never forget. Reminds me of Bandon Dunes No. 5, as it squeezes up into the dunes.  Bandon Dunes No. 5 is one of my favourite holes anywhere.

10)   Pacific Dunes - Having been to Scotland, standing on the first tee, looking out at the ridges and mounds and bunkers just takes you back to the old courses. It is so much FUN! No concerns about a 36-36=72 par course, which it is not, looking at the turkey vultures glide along the cliffs of No. 4, the outside urinals at the restrooms near 4 and 13, bumps and hollows on many holes, especially 16 and my favourite hole at Bandon, Pacific No. 13.

Okay, I missed a few. Looking at the cairn on No. 1 at Cherry Hills in Colorado. The "wall" on No. 13 at North Berwick West, lunch wearing jacket and tie at Muirfield, my times at Predator Ridge, two wonderful rounds this past year at Monterey Peninsula on the Dunes and Shore courses (which will be remembered as much for the company) and the many days at my home course, old Point Grey in Vancouver.

Sorry for the babble. Could not help it.

Bob Jenkins.

erichunter

« Reply #107 on: October 19, 2008, 11:45:30 PM »
Pinehurst # 2
Cypress Point
Royal Dornoch
Pine Valley
Kapalua Plantation
The Old Course
Pebble Beach
Shoreacres
Austin Golf Club
Anetsberger (pre-renovation)

Pat Burke

« Reply #108 on: October 20, 2008, 12:04:32 AM »
CPC
Royal  Melbourne   (pick 18 for me, I don't care, love the place)
Kingston Heath     (a trend seems to develop)
Old Course            My best golf experience ever
Plainfield
Victoria  Aus
NGL
Pebble                   (another of those "experiences"
NSW
Golfland  Asbury Park Boardwalk   nle*

Sean_A

« Reply #109 on: October 20, 2008, 07:38:03 AM »
Well

I did a rough calculation.

86 responses - just under 6% of the board, so not terribly representative

I figured 10% of the board should mention a course before it becomes "statistically significant", but lets call it 8 just in case. 

TOC: 38 - 44%
Pebble: 31 - 36%
CPC: 29 - 34%
NGLA: 23 - 27%
Co Down: 21 - 24%
Dornoch: 21 - 24%
Pac Dunes: 21 - 24%
Shinny: 20 - 23%
PV: 20 - 23%
Sand Hills: 19 - 22%
________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Merion: 17 - 20%
N Berwick: 14 - 16%
Muirfield, Pinehurst, Pasa & Oakmont: 12 - 14%
Ballybunion, San Fran & Melbourne West: 11 - 13%
Crystal Downs: 10 - 12%
________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Riviera, Ballyneal, Cruden Bay & Kiawah: 9 - 10%
Prestwick, Turnberry & Plainfield: 8 - 9%

Of the 27 courses listed, I am VERY SURPRISED BY PLAINFIELD AND KIAWAH.

A few others like Pasa and San Fran stand out a bit, but I reckon all of these sorts of things tend to be weighted toward California because there is large contingent of Californians on the board and they have a high participation rate. 

I am also slightly surprised by Pac Dunes, but again, I reckon the California contingent boosts the numbers somewhat and it is a public destination resort. 

A few other notables:

Lahinch, Prairie Dunes & Fishers Island: 7 - 8%
Tobacco Road, Bethpage, Sunny Old, Carnoustie, Garden City, Sandwich, Bandon Dunes: 6 - 7%
Spyglass, Ganton, Woodhall Spa, MPCC Shore, Sawgrass, Yale, Arcadia, Augusta & Kingsbarns: 5 - 6%
Swinley, St Enodoc, Maidstone, Kingston Heath, Baltis Lower, Friars Head, Rye, O Lake, Harbour Town, NS Wales: 4 - 5%

I must say Garden City surprises me because I would have thought very few people would get the chance to play there. 
I reckon Bandon Dunes gets Pac Dunes fallout.
Spyglass?  This must be down to the Cali contingent.
The Australian courses seem to get slighted.
Sawgrass also surprises me a great deal. 
Obviously, Augusta suffers from exclusivity difficulties and I am surprised it got as many as 5 votes. 

I must say that there are a few courses that will be added to my fictional must see list because of this thread.  They were sort of in the background as see if you get the chance and its convenient, but now they have moved up the list a bit.

PASA
PLAINFIELD
RIVIERA
GARDEN CITY
MPCC SHORE
SAN FRANCISCO
KINGSTON HEATH

I am still not totally convinced by Kiawah or Arcadia.

Ciao

New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

JLahrman

« Reply #110 on: October 20, 2008, 07:48:20 AM »
Interesting work Sean, but as you mentioned it probably illustrates very little other than the location of posters and the availability of the courses.

jim_lewis

« Reply #111 on: October 20, 2008, 08:21:02 AM »
Pine Valley
Pinehurst #2
TOC
Royal Melbourne-West
Oakmont
Royal County Down
Muirfield
Shinnecock
ANGC
Sand Hills

Close-but-not quite:
Merion
Wannamoisett
Carnoustie
Royal Dornoch
Pacific Dunes
Winged Foot-West
Fishers Island
Salem
Prairie Dunes
Pebble Beach
Chicago Golf

Further down:
NGLA
Sebonac
Crystal Downs
SFGC
Baltosrol-Lower
Seminole
Forest Creek-South
Forest Creek-North
Maidstone
Friar's Head
Ballybunion
Kingston Heath

Disclaimer: Never played Cypress.

Hard to settle on just 10, or even 30. Gotta stop somewhere!
Southern Hills
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

Sean_A

« Reply #112 on: October 20, 2008, 08:40:37 AM »
Interesting work Sean, but as you mentioned it probably illustrates very little other than the location of posters and the availability of the courses.

JAL

I don't think its quite that quite and dry in terms of this thread not meaning much - or as much as anything on this board!  Say 12% of the board responded - a number which would be fairly representative imo.  There are 11 courses which don't need another vote and they still would be cited by at last 10% of the respondents.  However, once we get this far down in extrapolation, the 11 courses are not at all surprising with the possible exception of Pac Dunes. 

TOC: 38 - 44%
Pebble: 31 - 36%
CPC: 29 - 34%
NGLA: 23 - 27%
Co Down: 21 - 24%
Dornoch: 21 - 24%
Pac Dunes: 21 - 24%
Shinny: 20 - 23%
PV: 20 - 23%
Sand Hills: 19 - 22%
Merion: 17 - 20%

Ballybunion is the one course which surprises me in that more people don't vote it.  It is acknowledged to be a masterpiece with superb views and the routing also gets cited for creativity.  Plus, its open to all.  I must be missing something here. 

Ciao

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

John Mayhugh

« Reply #113 on: October 20, 2008, 01:12:41 PM »
I liked the approach that Bob Jenkins took by explaining a little about why he selected each course.  Mine are:

1.   National Golf Links – For as long as I’ve been interested in GCA, I’ve been fascinated by this course.  Bahto’s Evangelist of Golf has long been my favorite book.  I expected NGLA to be the perfect blend of fun and strategic interest.  I’m not sure how, but the course far exceeded the expectations I had.  If I could only play one more round of golf in my life, it would be there.

2.   Royal Dornoch –  I’ve only played there once and it was over ten years ago.  It’s one of the greatest settings for a golf course.  Photos don’t do justice to the beauty of the place, especially the brilliant yellow gorse.  18 excellent holes and like NGLA essentially perfect.

3.   Cypress Point Club – Prior to playing there, I had pretty much worn out Shackleford’s book.  The course seemed like a step back in time.  The bunkering, green complexes, and the views are just incredible.

4.   The Old Course – I cannot imagine ever being more nervous on the first tee of a golf course.  I played there on the Tuesday after the Open, with all of the stands still in place. The round seemed to go by in a blur.

5.   Oakmont – I never dreamed that you could have fun playing such a penal course.  What great greens.  You could just feel the history walking through the clubhouse.

6.   Pebble Beach – Was much better than I expected, and I think playing with fellow GCAers Jenkins & Wall made the day really a special one.  Kind of a blah opening, but as you near the ocean holes the excitement is incredible.  Great routing to keep the ocean in sight of so many of the holes.  Loved the green complexes.  If a course that charges $500 can be considered a bargain, it is. 

7.   County Louth – I got to play 36 holes there in 35-40 MPH winds pretty much all day.  I’ve never been challenged to hit as many different shots and loved every second of it. 

8.   Capilano – As Bob mentioned, we played with Sean Leary earlier this year.  The routing is amazing.  It’s hard to believe you can have so much elevation change without really noticing it.  Some of the views are pretty special.  One great feature is also the honor bar in the men’s locker room.

9.   Yale – This was the golf course that stirred my interest in golf architecture.  After the second hole, I realized that this course would be unlike anything I had ever seen before.  Photos and words cannot adequately describe it.

10.    Depending on which day you ask me, it could also be Royal County Down, Ballyneal, Crystal Downs, Maidstone, Prairie Dunes, or Pasatiempo.  For today, I’ll settle on Holston Hills. 

JLahrman

« Reply #114 on: October 20, 2008, 01:17:20 PM »
JAL

I don't think its quite that quite and dry in terms of this thread not meaning much - or as much as anything on this board!  Say 12% of the board responded - a number which would be fairly representative imo.  There are 11 courses which don't need another vote and they still would be cited by at last 10% of the respondents.

That's possible, if I'm underestimating the number of courses that the typical respondent has played - maybe I am.  A fairly high number of members could respond, but more of an issue is the number of courses which they've all played.  Pacific Dunes could be showing up because it is public and a greater number of respondents have been able to play it, especially if these respondents haven't been able to play the private courses.

John Foley

« Reply #115 on: October 20, 2008, 02:00:12 PM »

I am still not totally convinced by Kiawah or Arcadia.

Sean - As someone who listed both - it's because

1- The are very good coureses on beautiful settings
2- They are available to anyone who pay's their fee.
Integrity in the moment of choice

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #116 on: October 20, 2008, 04:24:41 PM »
The views at Arcadia Bluffs, in contrast to the course,  are so stunning, it is difficult to play golf, rather than watch the course.

Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Kirk Gill

« Reply #117 on: October 20, 2008, 04:45:16 PM »
I am, as frequently occurs on this site, amazed and humbled by the rosters of courses you all have used to stir your souls. I guess by comparison my soul is easy pickins.

My top 7 for soul-stirrage (sometimes unrelated to the golf !):

The Old Course
Banff
Ceann Sibeal - the time, the place, was magical. the golf perhaps less so.
Denver Country Club - just entering the gate gave me chills
Evergreen Municipal - I just love this little course. Saw a bull elk once just
                                   off the sixth green. We checked each other out for
                                   a while.....
Pradera - a terrific course, great members, good times
Torrey Pines - horror of horrors, I really enjoyed playing this course even
                                   though it chewed me up and spit me out. Glad I
                                   experienced it.
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

TEPaul

« Reply #118 on: October 20, 2008, 05:26:22 PM »
Crystal Downs
Prairie Dunes
Royal County Down
Merion
Pine Valley
Maidstone
Sand Hills
Pacific Dunes
Myopia
NGLA
Shinnecock
Misquamicutt

Tim Leahy

« Reply #119 on: October 20, 2008, 09:08:28 PM »
As soon as I saw Bob's top ten, I thought, " I am not worthy."

Here goes anyway, in no particular order. These are the courses, out of the 217 I have played, that I have enjoyed the MOST:
1. Camargo Club (OH)
2.  Fort Jackson GC (SC)
3.  Arcadia Bluffs (MI)
4.  Pineneedles GC (NC)
5.  Tobacco Road (NC)
6.  Foxburg CC (PA)
7.  Bearslide GC (IN)
8.  Oleander GC (GA)
9.  Manakiki GC (OH)
10. West Point GC (NY)

I spent a Sunday at Fort Jackson in 1993 playing golf and watching the final round of the Masters won by Langer. I was waiting for my flight home to Cali from Columbia, SC after visiting Augusta for a Masters practice round and spending the rest of the week in Myrtle Beach. I never thought it would show up on a top ten list. ;D
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Brian Cenci

« Reply #120 on: October 20, 2008, 09:22:09 PM »
Since there's been some complainers I'll modify.

Well....here goes in no particular order:

TOP 10:
Crystal Downs
Kiawah - Ocean Course
Whistling Straits (Straits)
Prairie Dunes
Oakmont
Bandon Dunes
Pacific Dunes
Pete Dye Golf Club
Wolf Run
Kingsley Club

Honorable Mentions:
Arcadia Bluffs, Kinloch, Greywalls, Holston Hills, Lost Dunes, The Honors Course, Yeamans Hall, Pine Needles, Inverness Club, Pinehurst No. 2, Dunes Club, Bandon Trails

« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 01:43:44 PM by Brian Cenci »

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #121 on: October 21, 2008, 12:04:30 AM »
Goodness gracious, what doesn't one understand about the word TEN?

Bob

Joe Hancock

« Reply #122 on: October 21, 2008, 07:18:56 AM »

Bob

Bob,

It's the nature of these type of threads. Ask a group of men who the most beautiful woman is they've ever slept with and they'll name several. It's a "notching of the bedpost" mentality, and men just can't help themselves.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

jkinney

« Reply #123 on: October 21, 2008, 01:07:26 PM »

Bob

Bob,

It's the nature of these type of threads. Ask a group of men who the most beautiful woman is they've ever slept with and they'll name several. It's a "notching of the bedpost" mentality, and men just can't help themselves.

Joe

Dead on. And so I will only list my personal favorite 10 ONLY in geographic order, running from east to west - herewith:

The Old Course
County Down
Shinnecock
NGLA
Pine Valley
Oakmont
Augusta Nat.
Sand Hills
LACC North
Cypress Pt.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #124 on: October 21, 2008, 01:30:39 PM »
I liked Jeremy's east to west approach for listing these.  I never really thought of Augusta being west of Pittsburgh, but of course it is. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back