News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Alfonso Erhardt

How controversial were Simpson's designs?
« on: October 14, 2008, 04:07:47 PM »
I have read about Simpson's changes to Sunningdale which were later undone (I don't know what it was that people hated). I have recently seen letters that Simpson's work in Madrid was questioned by the membership and some changes were made - eliminating centreline bunkers, for example.

Are there any other examples of Simpson's designs being unpopular with clubs? What was it that people did not like? How well did people accept Simpson's original designs or remodelling work?

Paul_Turner

Re: How controversial were Simpson's designs?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 04:36:21 PM »
Alfonso

In the UK he was mostly criticised for outrageous greens.  The primary examples I know of were at Rye (1st green in particular) and Sunningdale New (4th).

There's a quote somewhere that kind of mocks Simpson for having most of his work redone in the UK.

But it survived in France! With Morfontaine's 3rd nine having the best and craziest greens.

He was definitely anti cross-bunkers but not center line bunkers (single bunkers in fairway middle) so I assume he was removing cross-bunkers from Madrid?
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Alfonso Erhardt

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 04:47:02 PM »
Paul,

At first he only lengthened the course (1924). In the 40s he removed many of the bunkers that Colt laid out, especially cross bunkers in long par 4s and 5s. He also redesigned two par 3s that were completely surrounded by bunkers.

His greens were all flattened out in 1966 by Harris and the centerline bunkers did not last more than 7-8 years. Strategic trees he brought into play in some holes, however, were not brought down.

Thomas MacWood

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 07:11:17 PM »
His redesign of Porthcawl was another one that drew considerable criticisim. I think Paul hit on the main complaint, some of his wild greens, and not necessarily from a putting standpoint, but from approachability standpoint. I think that was the main complaint at Sunningdale. Ironcially I don't think Simpson was that good of a golfer.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 05:41:40 AM »
Paul,

At first he only lengthened the course (1924). In the 40s he removed many of the bunkers that Colt laid out, especially cross bunkers in long par 4s and 5s.

He seemed to take pleasure in redoing Colt's work. I'm sure that came from his initial displeasure at the design principles - He really was not  a fan of overusing bunkers as hazards and of any penal elements whatsoever (such as cross bunkers).

But sometimes I wonder whether it could have gone a step further. Note that this is based on pure speculation.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back