News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JMorgan

Paul Carey

Re: Dev Emmet's House for Sale
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 10:26:05 PM »
and finance it with an "Alt-A" loan from Fannie Mae....oh never mind :o

TEPaul

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 02:10:21 AM »
Nice place!

The 11 mil + price tag doesn't suprise me but the taxes of $58 grand PER MONTH sure does. Are they kidding me? That has got to be a total misprint.

I'll be going up that way in a few days so maybe I'll call and make an appointment and check the place out and report back to you dreamers. But I've seen plenty of places up there like that in my day and if I go take a house tour of Emmet's "Sherrewogue" it will probably be more about checking out its real estate agent, Regina Rogers, than the place!

Hey, George Holland, Regina Roger's office is on Forest Ave. in Locust Valley. I don't need to go make an appointment to see "Sherrewogue" to check her out. You just walk down the street and into her office and check her out and report back to me immediately on Skype. You might even want to conference her in with Wayne and anyone else who might need to be in-the-know! If she knew what we know about Dev Emmet she may even want to raise that price a couple of million. Tell Regina we'll take her out to dinner and fill her in on architectural details of Devie Emmet's Women's National or something. If Regina doesn't fall asleep on us before dessert, then I think she just has to be our gal. And look at her record---eg she's some kind of Long Island real estate sales champion. She's even advertised as a high school or college long distance runner. Tell her between courses at dinner, just to work it off, we'll take her outside, give her a ten yard head start and see if we can catch her in about a hundred yards and all that that entails! All that must mean she is up-and-at-'em super early like you and me. If she's really into Emmet and this architectural stuff with "Sherewogue" let's take her to The Creek the next morning for your usual 5:30 am "steam". My God, you've got the key to the place anyway and there's definitely noone around at that hour to question our methods.

Oh, by the way, Jorge, tell her if we are going to treat her to important Devie Emmet architectural details, dinner, between dinner-course sprints and a sensual/super-sweaty 5:30am Creek Club "steam", I will not put up with that tacky red real estate blazer she has on in that real estate photo----I want her in one of those tops where I can see at least six inches of her tum-tum at all times!

George, you know danged well you talk too much, so listen to me now, you just walk down the street and tell Regina we can teach even a real estate champion like her some things about "Let's make a deal" that she's never dreamed of and that can definitely put her and her career on the moon!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 03:11:13 AM by TEPaul »

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 03:41:28 AM »
i want that.

Thomas MacWood

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 06:37:28 AM »
JM
You are an Emmet afficianado, do you know much about Emmet's private course? It doesn't appear from the aerial that the course is presently up and running. I wonder if it is restorable. I would think the course would contain many of Emmet's ideas, especially early ideas.

JMorgan

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 10:18:51 AM »
Tom,

Emmet's nine-hole course is long NLE, and with land division of the original parcel, service roads, etc., not restorable -- though in theory a little archeology would probably uncover some interesting stuff. 

The course had eight greens. He used sheep to maintain it, mowing the greens once a month/rolling twice a week. 

You would be standing on the first hole if you stepped back 20-30 paces  from where the realtor's picture was taken over the pond (which was much larger in the 1890s).
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 08:05:29 PM by JMorgan »

TEPaul

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 12:58:10 PM »
I know what you mean, Shivas. My plight in life has always been that I'm massively UNDERestimated. Don't worry, I'm used to it.   ;)

I mean you know, what is a misunderstood genius like me to do on here anyway? My philosophy and policy on GOLFCLUBATLAS.com's DG is to just accept that some on here are incorrible idiots and to just alternately attack then and then humor them. What else is there to do, as it seems impossible to actually educate them?   ;)

But Devie Emmet's old place has a real estate agent, Regina Rogers, who definitely looks to me to be Skypeable and that's why I mentioned it.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 01:08:18 PM by TEPaul »

TEPaul

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 01:19:22 PM »
Shivas:

Credit to where credit is due, I say.

Skype is not something I probably would have come to on my own. This kind of thing is due to my good friend and fellow researcher, The Creek Club's historian, George Holland.

George just might be the most hyper-active man on earth and he can be positively electric and ultra aggressive in his research methods and anything else in life he tries to do. Basically George no longer needs sleep. He is at it and on the architecture research hunt at all and any hour of the night or day.

I've tried to convince him that a day is actually twenty four hours and not twenty four minutes but it isn't working, he just doesn't get that concept.

He is the one who introduced me to Skype and this amazing application called "Go To Meeting" where he actually takes possession of my mouse and my computer from New York.

Regina's personality and success seems to be the "always-on-the-go" type like George Holland but I guarantee you George will wear her out in less than a day.

danielfaleman

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 12:48:52 AM »
The 11 mil + price tag doesn't suprise me but the taxes of $58 grand PER MONTH sure does. Are they kidding me? That has got to be a total misprint.

It's $58 grand per month mortage payment after a 20% down payment; annual property taxes would be around $100 grand, plus $10 grand additional for the Head of Harbor "village property tax".

Head of Harbor one of the pretiest towns you'll ever visit.

Thomas MacWood

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 10:04:53 AM »
Tom,

Emmet's nine-hole course is long NLE, and with land division of the original parcel, service roads, etc., not restorable -- though in theory a little archeology would probably uncover some interesting stuff. 

The course had eight greens. He used sheep to maintain it, mowing the greens once a month/rolling twice a week. 

You would be standing on the first hole if you stepped back 20-30 paces  from where the realtor's picture was taken over the pond (which was much larger in the 1890s).

JM
Do you know when Emmet built the course?

JMorgan

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 11:26:01 AM »
Tom,

JM
Do you know when Emmet built the course?

Tom, he began building it late 1897 but didn't complete it until 1901.  (So concurrent with Island Links/GCGC.)

TEPaul

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 12:31:00 PM »
Shivas:

That Go To Meeting application is cool but I need to watch that New York George Holland like a hawk as the cursor whips around on my computer controlled by him from NY. I have no doubt if I take my eye off it for a second he will swipe all my money and he'll be gone for good.

Thomas MacWood

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 11:25:48 PM »
JM
From what I understand Emmet's brother-in-law Stanford White lived nearby and had his own 9-hole course. Any idea where he lived and if that course still exists?

JMorgan

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2008, 06:11:53 AM »
JM
From what I understand Emmet's brother-in-law Stanford White lived nearby and had his own 9-hole course. Any idea where he lived and if that course still exists?

Tom, Box Hill.  I hadn't heard that re 9-hole course, though the gardens and house are well-documented. 

Thomas MacWood

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2008, 06:58:02 AM »
In one of White's biographies it said SW eventually had a nine-hole course laid out at Box Hill, just like his brother-in-law's had done. It also said he and Charles McKim not only played there quite a bit, they also played at GCGC. Evidently the Garden City Hotel was one of White's summer retreats.

Robert Emmons

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2008, 09:11:34 AM »
I thought Dev and Stanford were married to Stewart sisters. the Stewart's basically owned Garden City...RHE

JMorgan

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2008, 09:28:26 AM »
In one of White's biographies it said SW eventually had a nine-hole course laid out at Box Hill, just like his brother-in-law's had done. It also said he and Charles McKim not only played there quite a bit, they also played at GCGC. Evidently the Garden City Hotel was one of White's summer retreats.

Interesting Tom, which biography says that? 

JMorgan

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2008, 09:29:24 AM »
I thought Dev and Stanford were married to Stewart sisters. the Stewart's basically owned Garden City...RHE

Bob, Emmet's wife also owned much of Head of the Harbor and St. James.

Thomas MacWood

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2008, 09:45:47 AM »
JM
'Stanny' by Paul R. Baker. I also found this article on the net that briefly mentions the golf course on page 3.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1026/is_n1_v154/ai_20979634/pg_1

Robert
It was the Smith family. Emmet and White married Smith sisters. Smithtown LI is named after Richard Smith who owned a huge chunk of LI. He pre-dated the Revolutionary War. The Smith's owned on lot of LI back in the late 1800s too, but I'm not sure if Garden City was part of that or not.

JMorgan

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2008, 10:01:29 AM »

Robert
It was the Smith family. Emmet and White married Smith sisters. Smithtown LI is named after Richard Smith who owned a huge chunk of LI. He pre-dated the Revolutionary War. The Smith's owned on lot of LI back in the late 1800s too, but I'm not sure if Garden City was part of that or not.

Tom is correct. 

Also Garden City wasn't part of The Bull Rider's original parcel as far as I know.

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2008, 12:11:58 PM »
I have alway's been interested in Emmet's Eagle's Nest estate course he did for one of the Vanderbilt's out on Long Insland, but have struggled to find information or get anyone to respond to me from the estate museum out there.

Chris

Thomas MacWood

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2008, 12:14:10 PM »
Chris
I have never heard of that course before, what do you know about it?

Robert Emmons

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2008, 12:26:29 PM »
The Vanderbilt museum in Centerport was the home of William K Vanderbilt and is known as Eagles Nest. The golf course is still visible around the estate. The most interesting tee was on the roof of the Hall of Fish...RHE

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2008, 12:39:52 PM »
Chris
I have never heard of that course before, what do you know about it?

Tom,

Emmet built the course for William K. Vanderbilt Jr.  Vanderbilt was very big into yachting/sailing and thus every one of the nine holes on the course was named after one of his yachts.  Eagle's Nest (Vanderbilts summer home is on Centerport, Long Island and is now a museum) .  Vanderbilt chose Centerport, LI because it has the deepest harbors of anywhere along LI and he could anchor his yachts close to his home.

Robert,

I was not aware the course was still there.

Chris

Robert Emmons

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2008, 12:47:57 PM »
Chris,

Two or three holes including the tee on the Hall of Fish...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back