News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff_Brauer

viking classic pairings tomorrow
« on: September 20, 2008, 02:06:17 AM »
With 4 players tied for second, there is a chance that the PGA Tour may have a Gay Pride twosome tomorrow.  (Brian) Gay and (Dickie) Pride that is....... :D
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Rich Goodale

Re: viking classic pairings tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 04:08:47 AM »
Reminds me of the classic Henry Longhurst story.  When struggling with climbing a TV commentary tower after have imbibed more than several gins and tonic, he was asked by his producer:

"Are you going to be all right, today, Henry?"

"Yes!  Just as long as they don't pair Hunt and Coles."

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 07:16:15 AM »
Or the classic cricket commentary when West Indian Michael Holding was batting against England's Peter Willey - "the batsmans Holding the bowlers Willey".
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 07:17:24 AM »
That is a great line from the master.  If you follow pgatour.com, you'll be hard pressed to determine that the Viking Classic exists.  Click on the leaderboard link at the top left and you'll go to Ryder Cup, rather than Viking Classic.  Remember back when Ricky Barnes beat Hunter Mahan to win the US Am at Oakland Hills?  How the roles have reversed.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Bruce Leland

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 08:55:30 AM »
The announcer's always seemed to struggle when announcing that former Minnesota Gopher and Green Bay Packer linebacker Mike Hunt made a tackle.
"The mystique of Muirfield lingers on. So does the memory of Carnoustie's foreboding. So does the scenic wonder of Turnberry and the haunting incredibility of Prestwick, and the pleasant deception of Troon. But put them altogether and St. Andrew's can play their low ball for atmosphere." Dan Jenkins

Bill Gayne

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 09:00:30 AM »
Four or five years ago Bob May, Davis Love and Notah Begay were a group.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2008, 09:19:28 AM »
Notah Begay had the shot of the day on PGA Tour.com yesterday - a chip in on 12. But I think someone else made a hole in one, which normally would trump that, wouldn't it?

BTW, the greens at the Viking Classic look as if they have ice damage, even though this in in Mississipi, not Minnesota.  Any word on that?

Mike_Young

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2008, 09:59:39 AM »
Jeff,
The guy mentioned in the note below is a neurosurgeon in Athens and plays golf with us....and the roomate mentioned is Chair at ANGC....this is lewis grizzard writing below...

Greatest headline in the history of sports journalism . . .

On the eve of the UGA/South Carolina game 41 years ago, I was hanging out with three of my fraternity brothers (the Hound, Tex , and Bake), drinking a few cold PBRs at the old Callaway Gardens Apartment on the Atlanta Highway . We were discussing the upcoming game against the Gamecocks and lamenting the fact that we were going in with several key players out with injuries, including our starting DE, Billy Payne and his roommate, MLB, Happy Dicks.

About 10:00, another fraternity brother, Lewis, came in after he got off work. Our buddy was inactive at the time because he had gotten married over the summer to his high school sweetheart, Nancy. In addition to taking a full load at the university, he was working two jobs to help pay for (as he called it) "this expensive habit". A talented young man, he was writing two columns daily - one in the morning for the Athens Banner Herald and one in the afternoon for the Athens Daily News.

Lewis walked in, went straight to the refrigerator, got a beer, plopped down in a chair, pushed his glasses back up his nose and announced, "Gentlemen, with any luck at all, tomorrow morning you'll witness journalistic history. I have submitted my column and if it gets by my editor - and there's a good chance of that happening, since he "took drunk" earlier this evening - you'll enjoy the greatest headline in the history of sports journalism."

He refused to tell us what it was, and to be honest with you, we all forgot about it. As Lewis went home to his lovely, young bride, the four of us went back over to the fraternity house to get a head start on the weekend.

The next morning, as usual, I went straight for the Sports Section. As I pulled it out, I could do nothing but smile, because our buddy had pulled it off. To this day, Vince Dooley calls it his most memorable column ever - all because of the headline, which read:

DOGS TO PLAY COCKS WITH DICKS OUT

There's no doubt about it, it was "the greatest headline in the history of sports journalism".

"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2008, 10:06:18 AM »
Four or five years ago Bob May, Davis Love and Notah Begay were a group.

So that would be a "May Love BeGay Threesome?"

Or would it be the Love May Begay threesome.....

It might even be the BeGay May Love threesome.

Ahhh, endless comic possibilities, that's what its all about!

MY,

Too funny to be true.....

JohnV

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 08:14:06 AM »
Jeff,

You got your wish.  From PGAtour.com, the next to last pairing:

12:46        Gay, Brian             Pride, Dicky

A shame that CBS isn't televising it as I'm sure the David Feherty would have something to say about it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back