News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Bert

Re: Sorry, but...
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2008, 12:49:41 PM »
Interesting strategy on Azinger's part to send the "grinding halt" team out first this afternoon.  We could be watching matches at 8PM tonight!

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2008, 01:37:35 PM »
Note from yesterday re: Holmes and pace of play.

My wife and I watched J.B. tee off on the second hole Friday afternoon, then got in the car and drove to the golf course, played 18 holes behind a foursome, walked into the bar, and saw J.B. teeing off on 18. I asked someone if this was the evening replay of that afternoon's round. Nope. I asked if there had been a storm delay. Nope.

It took Holmes and Boo another half-hour to finish their round.

He's an abomination.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Kalen Braley

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2008, 02:45:53 PM »
Note from yesterday re: Holmes and pace of play.

My wife and I watched J.B. tee off on the second hole Friday afternoon, then got in the car and drove to the golf course, played 18 holes behind a foursome, walked into the bar, and saw J.B. teeing off on 18. I asked someone if this was the evening replay of that afternoon's round. Nope. I asked if there had been a storm delay. Nope.

It took Holmes and Boo another half-hour to finish their round.

He's an abomination.

Rick that sums it up best..an abomination who needs some personal hygiene skills  :)

John Moore II

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2008, 03:48:27 PM »
Well, the worst thing is, Steve Stricker's group was put on the clock yesterday. HOW SLOW WERE THEY PLAYING?? IF 6.25 HOURS IS NOT SLOW ENOUGH TO BE PUT ON THE CLOCK, WHAT IS?? Were Stricker and party on pace to take 7 hours? Have mercy people. Those spineless Officials just don't want to mess with them. Is it too much to ask for at least 4.5 hours??
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 12:40:11 AM by John K. Moore »

Tim Bert

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2008, 05:14:47 PM »
For all the grief we're giving Holmes, his group is two holes ahead of the second match.  Didn't someone say Stricker/Curtis were put on the clock yesterday?  It appears that group is a bit behind again today.

Doug Sobieski

« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2008, 08:54:13 PM »
Those dumb ass Officials just don't want to mess with them. Is it too much to ask for at least 4.5 hours??

John:

Given the use of the logo under your name, I'm surprised that you'd openly criticize fellow PGA members that harshly. Ouch!  :o

The Holmes match in the afternoon today was put on the clock and were informed as they walked from the 6th green to the 7th tee. The officials out there are constantly monitoring the pace of play, and light fires when applicable. Tough to hand out penalties in an event like this. The norm is for the Chairman of the Rules Committee to first inform the captains of the problem via radio, then make the players aware.

John Moore II

« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2008, 12:39:41 AM »
Doug--Maybe I am just getting myself in trouble with the use of 'dumb ass' here recently. They probably not dumb asses really, but in big tournaments, etc., there is this general aversion to clock people. John Vander Borght said they actually DQ'd people at the US Am for slow play. Good. There needs to be a concerted effort to prevent slow play. You want to make a different, DQ someone on Sunday at Augusta when the whole world is watching.

-We expect players to get around the local course in 4 hours, but yet we allow guys to take 6 on TV. Thats why golf takes so long. Everyone uses a cheater line (ok, I do too), everyone has some long pre-shot routine, and other stuff.

No, the officals personally are not dumb asses. Not at all. But as a whole, we have a general aversion to conflict. Boo/JB's whole group should have been put on the clock Friday and they weren't. Somebody dropped the ball in that case.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 12:43:56 AM by John K. Moore »

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2008, 06:27:04 AM »
I saw an interview where Padraig said he was working on speeding up his play.  Anyone who watches more pro golf than I do, care to comment?  I followed him round Wentworth last year and he seemed no worse than the others.  Interesting to see if his success has come AFTER speeding up?

Sorry but...    wouldn't it be great if they played foursomes with the correct etiquette, where the players not on the tee, wait on the fairway.  It would go a long way to show the world how to ply a great version of the game.

Sorry but... could someone please remove Furyk's hat when he shakes hands at the end of the game, as he seems incapable of doing it for himself.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Sean_A

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2008, 07:30:05 AM »
I saw an interview where Padraig said he was working on speeding up his play.  Anyone who watches more pro golf than I do, care to comment?  I followed him round Wentworth last year and he seemed no worse than the others.  Interesting to see if his success has come AFTER speeding up?

Sorry but...    wouldn't it be great if they played foursomes with the correct etiquette, where the players not on the tee, wait on the fairway.  It would go a long way to show the world how to ply a great version of the game.

Sorry but... could someone please remove Furyk's hat when he shakes hands at the end of the game, as he seems incapable of doing it for himself.

Its quite annoying when people insist on sticking together in foursomes.  It defeats one of the main purposes of the game.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Chechesee Creek & Old Barnwell

Tom Birkert

« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2008, 07:40:32 AM »
Padraig has speeded up recently, but he's still not close to quick. However, he looks like Usain Bolt compared to Holmes

I don't actually blame Holmes, who acts like he has OCD. I blame the Tour for allowing him to get away with it. Quite simply, he should be put on the clock and then penalised repeatedly. That would get the message over loud and clear.

He was being skewered on Sky yesterday by the on course commentator and the main commentary team for his slow play, and I found it amazing to hear he'd been on the clock for the last 11 holes of his win at the FBR Open - why wasn't he penalised?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back