News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kenny Baer

Philadelphia Golf Trip (October 2nd - October 5th)
« on: September 15, 2008, 04:16:25 PM »
I am heading up to Philly in 2 weeks to see a buddy of mine and play as much golf as possible. 

I arrive in Philly early on Th. morning on October 2nd and am going to try and play as much golf as possible.  Renewing an old golf rivalary with a buddy of mine from college.

My list of places to try to play; and I mean TRY goes

1) Pine Valley
2) Merion
3) Huntington Valley
4) Philadelphia Country Club
5) Philadelphia Cricket Club
6) Manufactuers Golf Club
7) Aronomink
8) Wyncote

Any other suggestions; I am going to call my pro tomorrow (from a pretty exclusive club in Atlanta) and see what he can do for me.  My buddy has no contacts.

Any suggestions as to places I should play that maybe are not on my list; or what clubs should I tell my pro to call.  Some I am sure I should not even have him bother.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

John Kavanaugh

Re: Philadelphia Golf Trip (October 2nd - October 5th)
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 04:31:06 PM »
Lehigh is a Golfweek top 100 and an easier nut.  I'd like to hear an unbiased opinion.  Rolling Green vs Lehigh would be a great trip to base a thread upon.  On the public side Cobb's Creek is a must play.  A little knowledge of that course and you will never be lonely on this site.

Kenny Baer

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 04:34:46 PM »
John,

Thank you very much; that is exactly what I was looking for.  Leigh and Cobbs Creek are now on my list.

You are from Atlanta; correct?

Where do you usually play?

I have felt like I have nothing to add to the post as of late because everything is about courses I have never played.  I saw that people wanted to compare Myopia to Garden City.  W/O playing either course that is impossible to do.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 04:46:32 PM »
Kenny,

I live on the Illinois/Indiana border, St. Louis deep, and have a son attending Auburn thus the Atlanta connection.  I usually play Victoria National which is profiled on this site.  I have an open invitation to anyone who posts under their full real name so feel free to contact me if you are ever in the area.  It might even fit with your pending Honors trip.

I have never been to Philly and recommend Lehigh, Rolling Green and Cobbs Creek simply because of the interesting discussion each course has provided in the past.  Cobbs Creek, not so interesting, but lengthy anyways.

Kenny Baer

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 04:51:52 PM »
Sounds awesome; I would love to play Victoria.

Same goes if you are ever in Atlanta and want to play Atlanta Country Club.

A great golf course; 1st ever players Championship was held there that Nicklaus won and then the Atlanta Classic was there for 20 + years. 

If you are ever down here DO NOT hesitate to email me and I will be more than happy to host you.

Bill Shotzbarger

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 04:56:32 PM »
If you don't know any members you'll have to cross the top 3 off of your list.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 05:08:22 PM »

Same goes if you are ever in Atlanta and want to play Atlanta Country Club.

I'd like to see something by Mike Riley.  He was just hired at another courses where I play, Norwood Hills in St. Louis, and I would like to see his work.

Kenny Baer

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 05:11:38 PM »
Just let me know;I would be more than happy.

ACC is a classic right in front of you golf course; in a beautiful parkland setting.

It is rare in that every hole is secluded from every other hole.  Most holes you literally can only see the hole you are on; and also it is in a neighborhood and OB is not in play.  You can't see the houses.

Kenny Baer

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 05:12:12 PM »
If you don't know any members you'll have to cross the top 3 off of your list.

I thought HV might be possible; that is bad news.

Cory Lewis

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 05:18:17 PM »
Since 1 & 2 aren't likely you should try Lancaster, it's an hour and a half from Philly but it's just as good a Flynn course as your 3,4 and 6.
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Kenny Baer

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 05:19:47 PM »
Cory,

Thx I have heard great things about it

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 05:23:27 PM »

ACC is a classic right in front of you golf course; in a beautiful parkland setting.

It is rare in that every hole is secluded from every other hole.  Most holes you literally can only see the hole you are on; and also it is in a neighborhood and OB is not in play.  You can't see the houses.

Kenny,

There will be people who will try to change your mind about the value of what you say above.  Fight them with all your will.  One of the most frustrating things about spending large amounts of time on this site is that you may find yourself loving less what once made you happy.  It's not like what you love is wrong, it changes no more than your wife when you go to your her high school reunion and meet the guy who got her cherry, you know it's not the same even though nothing has changed.  If you were a friend I would ask you to turn and run before it is too late, but hell, I want to play your course...so stick around and be careful.

Kenny Baer

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 05:27:04 PM »
John,

Which part of what I said?  A beautiful Parkland setting that each hole is seperated from the next; I can't imagine that being controversial;

I guess there are houses on the course.....

I appreciate the advice!!!!  I will try to hold strong.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2008, 05:31:15 PM »
You will only be a short drive away from Doak's Beechtree in Maryland before they turn it into a housing development...

D_Malley

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2008, 05:33:58 PM »
can the pro make your restaurant reservations too???

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2008, 05:40:41 PM »

The first and worst thing you said was "ACC is a classic right in front of you golf course."  First of all that makes zero sense since classic golf courses are not right in front of you and second, right in front of you is a huge mistake on this site reserved for Tour Player commentary.

Parkland setting is not a negative but not a positive either.

For some reason that I do not completely understand seclusion is now considered poor architecture by the "in" crowd on this site.  I'm torn on this issue myself.

At least OB isn't in play and you can't see the houses but God forbid if a 14 handicap would ever lose a ball in the buffer zones.

Besides that it was spot on.

note:  Some people less understanding than me might even see this as an access thread.  I know better.

Kenny Baer

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2008, 06:03:39 PM »
"ACC is a classic right in front of you golf course." 

What I meant by that is their are no blind shots and you will know what to do on each tee, or at least what your options are; there are no hidden stuff; I have been following long enough to know that be very very bad. 
I wasn't saying that is good or bad I was just saying that is how it is; at least that is what I meant.
On GCA i know a 10 ft left to right putt better not break as advertised or the golf course stinks. 

Kenny Baer

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2008, 06:05:02 PM »
John,

I hope you know I am being facetious with all this.  I know some of my opinions will change the longer I post but I look forward to learning more about the game.

Sean_A

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2008, 06:12:48 PM »
Kenny

If you like centreline bunkering and good land movement you could do a lot worse than Lederach.  Its a cart course so it may work well for a 36 hole day with another course. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2008, 06:19:10 PM »
Kenny,

You will do fine.  It might surprise you to know that obvious options are also not a good thing.  The "in" crowd likes the term "lighthouse bunker" while I prefer "textbook architecture"...the problem being that the lighthouse appeals to the uneducated while the textbook pleases the aficionado.  You will learn that what is obvious to us is not to the uneducated and only what we see is acceptable.  Personally I love the lighthouse and hate the textbook.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2008, 06:20:52 PM »
Kenny

If you like centreline bunkering and good land movement you could do a lot worse than Lederach.  Its a cart course so it may work well for a 36 hole day with another course. 

Ciao

I second this 100%.  The architect, Kelly Blake Moran, is one of the jewels of the site.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2008, 06:20:59 PM »
I'll second Lederach.  I'd also suggest Glen Mills.

Michael Blake

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2008, 07:15:34 PM »
  Leigh and Cobbs Creek are now on my list

One knock against Cobbs Creek is that your swing is restricted by the bullet-proof vest you need to wear.

I third Lederach.  If you can't do any of privates you initially listed.

Kenny Baer

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2008, 07:32:44 PM »

One knock against Cobbs Creek is that your swing is restricted by the bullet-proof vest you need to wear.

Bullett Proof vest?  No problem; I just happen to carry one in my golf bag.  JK

Joe Bausch

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2008, 07:35:55 PM »

Oh, Michael, please don't say such things like that about Cobb's Creek!  It may not be on the Main Line, but I've never once felt unsafe there (nor heard any gunshots).

I'll 4th Lederach, and also suggest KBM's Morgan Hill if you don't mind the traveling.

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back