News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Bourgeois

If Herbert Fowler designed a course during golf’s Golden Age, just down the road from Alister MacKenzie’s Pasatiempo – indeed, if said course opened in the same year (1929) – in the golf-rich area of Monterey Bay, and if that course lived a good 33 years, then would not this course be known far and wide?

Not to gild a lily born in golf’s Golden Age, but what if this course was commissioned by a swashbuckling character, a man responsible not only for a golf course but for an entire mega-development?  And what if, after this character suffered a public bankruptcy almost unbelievably, right at the time the course opened, another prominent millionaire purchased the course, a man whose son became a famous explorer and whose wife was a society columnist?

Surely a course like this, open to the public, down the road from the home course of another famous designer, born out of a course-building boom in America’s arguably most-heralded golfing locale, sponsored by a larger-than-life figure – surely this course would have earned some meager renown, would have escaped the slipstream of the temporal and found at least a purchase in the historical, an agate type’s measure of remembrance?

But no.  And so like any good 1920s detective story, we must look for the twist, the “either / or”: What if Fowler in fact did not design it, a case of mistaken identity?  Or…what if he designed not one but two courses, for the same sponsor, in the same area – of which only one was built?  What if the course, upon coming into existence immediately and then with depressing regularity afterwards, changed hands in a property version of Three-Card Monte?  Would that obscure the origins of the course and consign it to the ash heap of history?

This then is the story of Monterey Bay Golf & Country Club, commissioned and funded by San Francisco speculator H. Allen Rispin, maybe designed by Fowler, and opened 1929.  Confusingly, it is also the story of “Capitola-by-the-Sea,” designed by Fowler but never built, perhaps an unintentional veil cast over Monterey Bay, or perhaps the only course Fowler designed for Rispin.

As with Emma Thompson’s character(s) in “Dead Again,” we are left to wonder who is who – or, resisting the urge to personify these fleeting courses as characters, which is which.

Provenance

According to local historian Carolyn Swift (the source of information on Capitola, Rispin, as well as the photographs), Rispin originally wanted his golf course close to home.  A 1922 map shows plans for a course across Soquel Creek from his mansion, on the site of a beet sugar farm.  This area is south of Soquel Road, roughly a half-mile inland from Capitola Beach and Monterey Bay.

In fact, an undated Fowler advertisement listing courses laid out or remodeled by Fowler includes “Capitola-by-the-Sea: plans for eighteen-hole seaside links.”

So Fowler did design a course, in Capitola, near the sea (Monterey Bay), for Rispin.

A golf course would have fit into Rispin’s grand plans to turn Capitola, regarded as California’s oldest resort (dating to 1874), into a grand Spanish Colonial Revival retreat.  Purchasing Capitola in 1919, the San Francisco speculator’s plans included paved streets, a yacht club and fishing lodge, a waterside Venetian Court complex, a boathouse and beach lagoon, and the golf course.  In ambition and subsequent fate, Rispin’s arc sadly tracked not Paris Singer of Singer Island and Palm Beach but rather D.P. Davis of Tampa and Carl Fisher of Miami Beach.  Rispin’s fall, when it came  in 1929, was complete.

But we are getting ahead of the story.  It is not known how Rispin came into contact with Fowler.  It could have been earnest prospecting by Fowler – he did remodel Old Del Monte down the road and certainly would have heard of Rispin’s grand plans for making Capitola into a high-end development.

More likely, Fowler would have leveraged stronger connections: his Burlingame CC opened in 1922 just up the road in San Francisco.  Burlingame comes up periodically in articles about Soquel, Capitola, and Santa Cruz.  One of its prominent members was Robert Hays Smith.  Smith, whose son Nicol gained temporal fame in the midsection of the Twentieth Century as an explorer but before that would assume duties managing Monterey Bay G&CC, invested in Capitola alongside Rispin in 1919.  Perhaps the Capitola-by-the-Sea commission begat the Burlingame job.  Or perhaps it was the other way around.  No matter, the connectivity hints at a business relationship stronger than short-term transactional.

Monterey Bay GC might well have been a drive-by or mail-in for Fowler, at least as far as actual construction goes  – but if Fowler wasn’t there for the creation, one suspects a relationship strong enough to overcome that immense distance between England and California, strong enough to produce a decent outcome.  Assuming of course Fowler designed the course in the first place.

At some point, Rispin gave up on the Capitola site and decided to develop a 315-acre parcel roughly one mile north-northeast, in the neighboring community of Soquel.  Did Fowler make a return trip to California sometime in the mid-to-late 1920s to inspect this property and draw up plans for a new course?  Or did Rispin show Fowler this property during the design of Capitola?  If so, did Fowler recommend the dramatic topography of the Soquel property?  Did Fowler draw up plans for both sites in 1920-22?  Assuming Fowler drew up the Soquel plans during the early 1920s, is it realistic to assume Rispin would have waited seven or so years to begin construction?  And when construction went ahead on the Soquel property, did Fowler visit?

It is not known exactly when construction began on the property; however, according to Swift, “most of [Rispin’s] financial resources in 1929 were spent toward the creation of the Soquel golf course.”

The course, occupying 130 acres, opened in mid-July.  One week later, Rispin’s holding company announced it was liquidating its portfolio, golf course included.  The Frank Meline auction firm was commissioned to sell 1,500 business and residential lots, the golf course and a host of other holdings, notably the Rispin Mansion. 

Several weeks before the auction occurred, this article appeared in the Hayward Daily Review.  It is the sole reference linking Fowler to this course I have been able to find:

Mark Bourgeois

Could Fowler actually have designed this course?

The case against:
*Cornish and Whitten do not list it (nor do they list Capitola-by-the-Sea; furthermore, they list two Fowler courses opening in 1928, Berkshire’s Red and Blue courses; the next opening comes in 1930, Manor House Hotel, with Abercromby
*After the early 1920s C&W list no California courses by Fowler
*The Times of London reported on16 October 1929 that Fowler had “taken up” his appointment as secretary of the Ranelagh Club

The case for:
*Fowler designed at least one course for Rispin
*The Hayward Daily Review article
*C&W list no 1929 course openings
*Abercromby could have done the heavy lifting in Fowler’s absence – or it might have been Aber’s commission from the start
*No Times editions besides 16 October reference Fowler in 1929
*The Times reported on 9 August 1929 that Fowler’s predecessor as secretary of Ranelagh, Colin Aylmer, had resigned

Unknown (to me)
*Whether Rispin owned Soquel tract at time of Fowler’s Capitola plan
*Whether Fowler shows up in passenger manifests traveling to United States in 1928-29
*Fowler’s whereabouts for much of 1928-29

Pictures of the course, courtesy of Carolyn Swift – do these bunkers look like Fowler?

I will post on the subsequent fate of this course when I get a chance!

Mark

Jed Peters

Mark:

Don't expect much response. We don't get our panties all in a bunch about this stuff like the east coasters!

Bob_Huntley

Could this have been the original site?

http://www.seascapegc.com/golf.cfm

Bob

Carl Nichols

Mark:

Don't expect much response. We don't get our panties all in a bunch about this stuff like the east coasters!

SOME east coasters.

Mark Bourgeois

Bob

I don't think so. Fowler's advert listed "Capitola" and Carolyn Swift says a 1922 map shows plans for a golf course in Capitola proper and across from Rispin's house.

As for the course that actually was built, that site can be found on Google Maps by looking for golf-themed roads like "Putter" and "Fairway" on the north side of Soquel Road. The course succumbed to housing around 1962 - although apparently one of the two clubhouses exists today. (I have pics of the clubhouses I will post later.)

I will post a link when I get a chance - the topo and the photos show a wild site. A pattern of ridge and arroyo run along a rough north-south axis. Very alluring.

Mark

Mark_Rowlinson

Great post - just what's best about this site - and we've just resurrected a lost MacK in London. What next?

Kalen Braley

Mark B.

Google Earth certainly shows a very undulating piece of property with that massive ridge line and arroyos.  There are a few ridglines that jut off of the main ridgeline and I can almost imaging holes jutting out to the edge and back.  For those who have played Pasa not far away, that gives one a good idea of the terrain...

Looks like a fantastic site for some wild holes indeed.

Sean_Tully

Mark

I have come across some articles for the Capitola Course(s), I have it as a 36 hole development. I have the articles and will take a look at them when time allows. The course is outside my scope of research, so I never followed up on it. Fowler was quite prolific in CA for the early part of the 1920's and then just disappears. I will have to check my architect list to see if I have any names for the Monterey Course. From my research it would be too late for Fowler as he seemed to have picked up his stakes as early as 1926.

My newspaper research has stalled for the last year or so, but I left off in 1927. It will take me some time before I can get any info on it.

Thanks for sharing.

I have been looking into a course that was also in Soquel (could be the same course) that was connected to some cabins and an Inn. I have an advert for it, but the name escapes me at the moment.

Tully
Tully

Mark Bourgeois

Tom thanks for those. I had seen the 2005 one but not the other! Also it was a post of yours that pointed me to the advert in Shackleford.

I figured something must have been posted on this course. Sorry for any redundancy or "credit stealing" here...

Sean that inn was the Prescott and they bought the course circa 1942 -- but around that time it started to "shrink" due to housing encroachment.

When I get a chance I will post more.

Mark

Rich Goodale

Marco

You are a star.

As those links kindly posted by Tom indicate, I've been interested in this NLE since I learned about it while visiting the local museum in 2001, but have never been able to seduce anybody to do some legwork on it, until you!  Keep up the good work and let us know what you learn.  AS I remember, the whole project involved a country club and beach club (with vestiges of the latter maybe still existing).  If you ever get back there, do check out the local museum as they have a number of documents, posters, etc. on the project.  I have always speculated that MacKenzie might have b een involved (given the proximity to Pasatiempo), and some of those bunkers in the pictures certainly hint at that.  And you are right in your repy to Bob about the location--it was north/east of Soquel Drive (and of Apros Seascape).

Keep up the good work.

ForkaB

Thomas MacWood

Mark
Do you think there were two different projects, one in the early 20s and one in the late 20s? Fowler made two or three trips to California in the early 20s, but was semi-retired in the late 20s. Simpson is also a possibility depending on the year.

Bill_McBride

How does the Fowler timeline tie in with Crystal Springs Golf Club?  It's up the mountain side from Burlingame CC.

Sean_Tully

Mark

That was it, Prescott Inn.

Bill- I have Fowler doing prelim stuff there at Crystal in Nov of 1920. I have him pretty much disappearing from the scene in 1923, some years earlier than I recalled. I have a lot of info that I still need to sort and add to my time line it is ridiculous.

In my time line I have a man named S.C. Hardin  that was given credit for the design of MBG&CC.  I have only one other mention for him for a course that was never built in SF. For some reason I want to say he was based out of St. Louis.

Tully

Thomas MacWood

Fowler made three trips to the States in the twenties - 1920, 1921 and 1922.

Was Monterey Bay built on the same site as Capitola GC?

Mark Bourgeois

Tom

I do think there were two separate projects, the first Capitola by Fowler which never saw the light of day, the second by someone not Fowler.  The simplest explanation is that newspaper article attribution of the second project to Fowler is a tyop.

Or maybe not a typo: possibly someone of less notoriety than Fowler designed it but the auctioneer conveniently got the earlier project confused with the second one and fed that to the reporter.

But, honestly, I have no idea!

Rich

I was searching old newspaper articles about Sharp Park for Neil Crafter, came across Jack Fleming's name, stumbled over to Yosemite, and then -- mirabile dictu -- the search engine (or should I say "search" engine) turned up that Hayward article.  Got pretty far into this, then thought I probably was reinventing the wheel -- remembered to see if anything was on GCA.com. Lo and behold, your thread came up.

Mark

David Stamm

Great thread! I seem to remember reading in an old article something about a Santa Cruz CC. Could this be in some way a connection? Was there a Santa Cruz CC up there?
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Sean_Tully

Great thread! I seem to remember reading in an old article something about a Santa Cruz CC. Could this be in some way a connection? Was there a Santa Cruz CC up there?

Two different golf courses.

SCCC is now called Pogonip and it is a nature area. I have walked the property twice and could make out some of the old bunkers and greensites. The course is west of Pasatiempo off the highway that goes to Boulder Creek.

Tully

David Stamm

Two different golf courses.

SCCC is now called Pogonip and it is a nature area. I have walked the property twice and could make out some of the old bunkers and greensites. The course is west of Pasatiempo off the highway that goes to Boulder Creek.

Tully

Thanks Sean. Do you know who did it?
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Sean_Tully

Bendelow

Won't try to date it with out my info in front of me, but it was in the early teens.

Closed down during the depression. The clubhouse is still there but in disrepair and you can only imagine how cool a site it was for a golf course then and now.

Tully

Mark Bourgeois

Sean

You are right! I just received documents which include a route map showing "SC Hardin & Co."

The routing looks quite interesting, with a number of short holes -- I assume a few of those pars listed next to the holes are typos.  Combining the routing with the pictures of 2 and 5 gives us a better picture of the opening holes. As interesting as 2 looks in the picture, going off the routing map what a hole 3 must have been!

Here is an aerial from the 1929 auction flyer confirming the inland location of the course, in Soquel:

So I guess that clears up the Fowler mystery.  But I have been unable to find anything on an SC Hardin, although C&W list a Jeff Hardin, who might be SC's son.  The look of those bunkers is striking; could someone of such anonymity have conceived and built them?  Apparently so!  I will keep digging...

Also, Rispin apparently was desperate to get the course built, as a lure to sell lots.  His financial position by mid-November 1928 was precarious; newspapers reported him repurchasing his mansion.  His plan was to use it as a sweetener by transforming it into a majestic clubhouse for the members:
“He proposes the addition of fifty rooms to the present building for the accommodation of such club members and their families as may desire to make protracted stays in the vicinity of their golf grounds, and to further enhance the attractiveness of the place he contemplates dredging and widening the river along its entire water frontage to provide boating and fresh water swimming for the club guests." -- Santa Cruz News, mid-November 1928.

Apparently, financial difficulties obviated this.  Small wonder: according to the auction papers, the course alone (not including clubhouses) cost $150,000 to build!

Also, reading between the lines it sounds like Monterey Bay was conceived and opened as a private club, with the transition to public course coming shortly afterwards -- I understand it had two clubhouses.

These look like pics of the same structure, though, yes?

Still need to share the story of what happened to the club after it opened!

Mark

Bill_McBride

Bill- I have Fowler doing prelim stuff there at Crystal in Nov of 1920. I have him pretty much disappearing from the scene in 1923, some years earlier than I recalled. I have a lot of info that I still need to sort and add to my time line it is ridiculous.

Tully

Thanks, Sean.  I need to get back to Crystal Springs, that is such a lovely piece of land, another victim of I-280 unfortunately. 

Sorry I missed you out at Meadow in April when Peter Pittock and I staged a stirring duel.  That place was looking muy fantastico, great work by you guys!  ;D

Sean_Tully

Mark

That is a great find! Been looking for something on that course and you digging up that  routing map is great, I can look at those old routing maps all day.

Bill

Glad you enjoyed the course. Too bad about Crystal, but still a fun course, but.....

Tully

Sean_A

This is an interesting thread and raises a few questions.  

1. The Simpson Society believe that Simpson joined Fowler in 1910.  Darwin (in 1915) gives partial credit to Simpson for Woodcote Park (1912) - referring to Simpson as Fowler's partner.  We know that Simpson accompanied Fowler to USA in 1920.  My question is, and it may have direct impact on Mark's investigation, when did and how did Simpson begin to influence Fowler?  Incidentally, Woodcote Park was originally intended to be the country and golfing home of the London Club (RAC).  

Also, I am looking for a four part series that Fowler was meant to write for the (at the time) new Golf Illustrated & Outdoor America mag.   Behr wrote a blurb about the series being featured in later volumes - I am guessing 1915/16.  If anybody could point me in the right direction I would be much obliged.  

A few interesting tidbits (that I haven't seen reported on this site) I found along my journey of discovering Fowler.

1. O Club remodelling of present course (1921) and to build a seaside course and a par 3 course.  I guess Fowler lost this job.

2. Rancho GC, property of Ambassador Hotel was to be completed by Fowler soon (1920).

3. Beverly Hills CC remodeled and a new 18 to be constructed by Fowler & Simpson (1920).

4. Strauss Hotel (near Beverly Hills) course to be built by Fowler (1920).

5. Presidio was to get three new holes by Fowler (1920).

It would seem this 1920 trip of Fowler & Simpson was a dandy for getting work.

Ciao

New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Chechesee Creek & Old Barnwell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back