News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_Tully

Going through some research and I found a photo album of the housing development in Dana Point from 1926-27. There is a mention of a golf course and there were a few photos that showed the course(nothing to verify style). WOndering who was involved there as the architect? I seem to recall Tommy mentioning some research that had Mackenzie in the area, and the timeline shows that he was in So Cal at the time as well. Not sure if his info matches the same timeline as the dates of the course as noted in the photos.

I went and looked at some current maps and it hard to see where it was based on the housing. It was to the NE of The Street of the Blue Lantern near the intersection of Stonehill and Street of the Gold Lantern.

Tully
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 02:40:12 PM by Sean_Tully »

Jon Spaulding

Re:Dana Point Golf Course NLE
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 05:07:31 PM »
Going through some research and I found a photo album of the housing development in Dana Point from 1926-27. There is a mention of a golf course and there were a few photos that showed the course(nothing to verify style). WOndering who was involved there as the architect? I seem to recall Tommy mentioning some research that had Mackenzie in the area, and the timeline shows that he was in So Cal at the time as well. Not sure if his info matches the same timeline as the dates of the course as noted in the photos.

I went and looked at some current maps and it hard to see where it was based on the housing. It was to the NE of The Street of the Blue Lantern near the intersection of Stonehill and Street of the Gold Lantern.

Tully

Wow! I'm sitting in my office about 1 mile from Stonehill and GL.....never heard this one before! If you can post up a photo or email to me I can probably id the location. I'm not aware of any housing on the hill that dates that far back, other than some in SJC and a small part of DP closer to the beach.
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Sean_Tully

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 05:25:56 PM »
Jon,

Regarding the housing community, its western edge was on Blue Lantern road. The golf course was to the North East and from the photos the topo of the area seemed hilly. The homes are the Mediterranean style along some curvy roads with a lot of stone work. The photos are in a special collection and I would of had to pay to get them copied or reproduced.  The development was going by 1926 so that should give you a tip on where it starts and ends to some degree.

I am not familiar with SoCal, but if you have access to some aerials from the late 1940's you may see the course getting cleared and ready for homes. I have an interesting aerial that shows a course in the bay area in the process of being subdivided. A shame as it was a Behr/Whiting course.

Wait for some other replies. Tommy N. might be able to help us out. I tried to locate the area on google maps and it sure has changed!!

If you are really interested in it the info can be found at the State Library in Sacramento. They have a photo album and a development map. I looked at the map for a while, but was more disappointed in that the course was not shown. The name of the guy involved in the development was Woodruff. Or you can try the local historical society.

Tully

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 06:00:19 PM »
Jon,

Regarding the housing community, its western edge was on Blue Lantern road. The golf course was to the North East and from the photos the topo of the area seemed hilly. The homes are the Mediterranean style along some curvy roads with a lot of stone work. The photos are in a special collection and I would of had to pay to get them copied or reproduced.  The development was going by 1926 so that should give you a tip on where it starts and ends to some degree.

I am not familiar with SoCal, but if you have access to some aerials from the late 1940's you may see the course getting cleared and ready for homes. I have an interesting aerial that shows a course in the bay area in the process of being subdivided. A shame as it was a Behr/Whiting course.

Wait for some other replies. Tommy N. might be able to help us out. I tried to locate the area on google maps and it sure has changed!!

If you are really interested in it the info can be found at the State Library in Sacramento. They have a photo album and a development map. I looked at the map for a while, but was more disappointed in that the course was not shown. The name of the guy involved in the development was Woodruff. Or you can try the local historical society.

Tully

The plot thickens.....Woodruff is a familiar name. "Sidney Woodruff, the developer of Hollywood(land) and
later, the lantern street area of Dana Point, invited the Duke to Dana Cove to teach children here to surf during his visit, according to Alice Davis, Woodruff’s daughter."

You've certainly got my interest; suppose I'll ask Grandpa and the historical society; attached are a couple of non-aerials, no Mac-bunkers present. However, if Mac ever went to Tijuana, he would have had no choice but to head down Camino Capistrano (the 5fwy with horses) which is adjacent to DP.

1927 postcard

looking west

self explanatory/looking southwest
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 06:05:07 PM by Jon Spaulding »

Sean_Tully

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 06:20:59 PM »
That would be the same Woodruff as it mentioned Hollywoodland in the advert.  The homes were a little more extravegent in my photos and whomever took them did a very nice job. Too bad the photos of the course were so non-descriptive. They were from the tees and one would be hard pressed to see any identifiable features as is too often the case from that period.

Regarding my positioning of the course...
it is definately inland
I could not recall the names of the streets so that is more general info.

I would be interested in what you find.

Tully

Sean_Tully

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 03:23:24 PM »
Jon or anyone who may be interested...

If you are interested here is a source of info that may prove interesting as it was actually created by Mr. Woodruff and is at UC Irvine. Here is the info

Dana Point Syndicate records of S.H. Woodruff, 1911-1937 (bulk 1920-1930)

Collection number:
MS-R 60

Creator:
Woodruff, S.H. (Sidney H.)

Repository:
University of California, Irvine. Library. Special Collections and Archives.
Irvine, California 92623-9557

Interested to see who they have listed as the architect of the course and if there are any better photos, if anything we can get the location of the course pinned down.

Tully

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 04:11:15 PM »
As I communicated with Tull, Dana Point may or may not have existed, but if it did, it wasn't for very long. MacKenzie visited the site, and from other reports, Hunter may have been with him, but other visited there too: Max Behr and Billy Bell.

I do know this for a fact, there was a golf club house built, and I have a drawing/image of it that I'll post later when I get home tonight. The site of the golf course was in fact exactly where Tull describes it and one of my failings is that I haven't taken the time in over three years to go over to UCI and go through the two rather large boxes of Woodruff's papers.

Sean_Tully

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 05:25:24 PM »
Tommy

At the State Library in Sactown they had a nice album that showed the homes in the development and some of the area. It the back it also included a couple of photos of a golf course. There was no date given, but judging by the development it was early as they still had a lot of romm for homes. The photos were from the tees and showed very little in the way of anything descriptive. Hopefully there is some good info in the Woodruff stuff at UCI. If I can swing it I will try to get some time there while in Anaheim.

Tully

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 09:12:53 PM »
As I communicated with Tull, Dana Point may or may not have existed, but if it did, it wasn't for very long. MacKenzie visited the site, and from other reports, Hunter may have been with him, but other visited there too: Max Behr and Billy Bell.

I do know this for a fact, there was a golf club house built, and I have a drawing/image of it that I'll post later when I get home tonight. The site of the golf course was in fact exactly where Tull describes it and one of my failings is that I haven't taken the time in over three years to go over to UCI and go through the two rather large boxes of Woodruff's papers.

Let me know if/when you're headed to UCI. I'd love to rummage thru the archives. Been out of town for a few days so have not contacted the historical society as of yet.

Also, on the NLE topic, does Pogonip in Santa Cruz have any merit? I played with a local the other day and he mentioned it.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 09:14:51 PM by Jon Spaulding »

Sean_Tully

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 01:33:47 AM »
Pogonip- the name did not strike me intitally. As it turns out it was the old Casa Del Ray Course that was designed by Tom Bendelow and I believe it later became Santa Cruz Country Club. It had the dark ages look to it from the few photos that I have seen of it. It was taken over by the parks system at some point and the old clubhouse is still there the last I heard, I wonder if there is any old remnants of the course?

Tully

ForkaB

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 02:34:32 AM »
There is some information about a 1920's golf club development near Capitola (just south of Santa Cruz) in the local museum.  I was sprog-laden when I saw it 6 years ago and couldn't spend any time.  Anybody know anything about it?

Sean_Tully

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2007, 03:11:55 AM »
There is some information about a 1920's golf club development near Capitola (just south of Santa Cruz) in the local museum.  I was sprog-laden when I saw it 6 years ago and couldn't spend any time.  Anybody know anything about it?

Rich

That would have been the capitola golf and country club. It was to have 36 holes that were to be designed by Herbert Fowler. Work was to be started in July of 1923. Have not seen anything else on it after that. I will have to stop in and see what they have on the course.

Tully

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back