News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian Cenci

Re: Tribute to Michigan Golf Courses (pics)...
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2008, 09:11:01 PM »
A-ha! 

#10 is The Grande, #11

Tree and birdhouses should have tipped me off.  Played there Sunday!

correct!  pretty interesting course...worth a look

Dan Moore

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2008, 10:03:11 PM »
Is the Grande by Ray Hearn?  The bunkers look an awful lot like those at Flossmoor CC which Hearn is renovating. 
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

George Freeman

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2008, 10:38:34 PM »
is #15 Barton Hills??
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

George Freeman

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2008, 10:39:39 PM »
Barton Hills hole #4 to be specific?
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Sean_A

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2008, 03:04:36 AM »
Tony,
I think many of your guesses were pretty good. I agree #22 looks awesome, I'm not surprised its Greywalls.

1. #10/11 at Arcadia
4. Looks like it could be #6 at Angels Crossing, but its an odd angle that doesn't show the green so hard to be sure.
6. #1 at the Dunes Club
8. #7 (?) at Kingsley
9. Wuskowhan Players Club #4
11. Lost Dunes #2
17. Well...it sure looks like a Jim Engh bunker and its not Tullymore so must be True North.

Sean,
Its interesting how folks have different tastes. I'd have chosen #22 as most interesting and the one you picked I barely looked at until you re-posted  ;D  No idea where it is though...

Andy

I don't think #12 is the best looking, but the bunkering configuration and shaping is very interesting and this intrigues me.  I am guessing its Franklin Hills (the clue Brian gave was a bit veiled), but I can't place it at all and it would be about the only private course shown - so I have more than a little doubt. 

There are a handful pics there with bunkering everywhere - even the hairy ones don't appeal because in all these, imo, its the bunkering which is the focus rather than the terrain.  The picture which I think best shows cracking golf is The Gailes. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Brian Cenci

« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2008, 07:09:21 AM »
is #15 Barton Hills??

It is Barton Hills...#4

Brian Cenci

« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2008, 07:11:19 AM »
Tony,
I think many of your guesses were pretty good. I agree #22 looks awesome, I'm not surprised its Greywalls.

1. #10/11 at Arcadia
4. Looks like it could be #6 at Angels Crossing, but its an odd angle that doesn't show the green so hard to be sure.
6. #1 at the Dunes Club
8. #7 (?) at Kingsley
9. Wuskowhan Players Club #4
11. Lost Dunes #2
17. Well...it sure looks like a Jim Engh bunker and its not Tullymore so must be True North.

Sean,
Its interesting how folks have different tastes. I'd have chosen #22 as most interesting and the one you picked I barely looked at until you re-posted  ;D  No idea where it is though...

Andy

I don't think #12 is the best looking, but the bunkering configuration and shaping is very interesting and this intrigues me.  I am guessing its Franklin Hills (the clue Brian gave was a bit veiled), but I can't place it at all and it would be about the only private course shown - so I have more than a little doubt. 

There are a handful pics there with bunkering everywhere - even the hairy ones don't appeal because in all these, imo, its the bunkering which is the focus rather than the terrain.  The picture which I think best shows cracking golf is The Gailes. 

Ciao

It is Franklin Hills....great terrain and the restoration work looks great.

Brian Cenci

« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2008, 07:13:21 AM »
Is the Grande by Ray Hearn?  The bunkers look an awful lot like those at Flossmoor CC which Hearn is renovating. 

I believe it is a Hearn.  The bunkering is really jagged out there...almost too much IMO at times.  Overall it is a pretty decent public golf course.

Peter Pratt

« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2008, 08:32:34 AM »
Is #14 Belvedere?

Thanks for these photos, Brian. They bring back many great (and future, I hope) memories.

Brian Cenci

« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2008, 09:04:17 AM »
Is #14 Belvedere?

Thanks for these photos, Brian. They bring back many great (and future, I hope) memories.

Yea, it is #9 at Belvedere

Chuck Brown

« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2008, 11:42:18 AM »
Pic #12 is the 1st at Franklin Hills.  The traffic light just visible through the trees to the left is the intersection I drive through daily.  It's a nice area, and a wonderful bit of topography for a golf course.  I see that the photo was taken on an overcast, flat-light day.  You'd see quite a lot more roll in that fairway otherwise.
The restoration was first-rate.
Thanks for all the pictures.

Matt Dupre

« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2008, 11:59:01 AM »
Brian,

Is that the 10th green at Angels Crossing? (#4)
I played Kingsley once 3 years ago, and I'm having trouble placing that photo - can you fill in the detail?

Brian Cenci

« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2008, 12:02:12 PM »
Pic #12 is the 1st at Franklin Hills.  The traffic light just visible through the trees to the left is the intersection I drive through daily.  It's a nice area, and a wonderful bit of topography for a golf course.  I see that the photo was taken on an overcast, flat-light day.  You'd see quite a lot more roll in that fairway otherwise.
The restoration was first-rate.
Thanks for all the pictures.

Chuck,
     It was very overcast.  So much that Dave and I, as always, were the only ones dumb enough to play on a rain soaked early November day last year.  We did have the entire course to ourselves though.  I'd love to play the course in prime season when condition is right.  The restoration work was great there.  It is a pretty neat place and goes under the radar as well.

-Brian

Brian Cenci

« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2008, 12:05:18 PM »
Brian,

Is that the 10th green at Angels Crossing? (#4)
I played Kingsley once 3 years ago, and I'm having trouble placing that photo - can you fill in the detail?

#4 is of the 10th green at Angel's.  In reducing the size of the photos I definetly lost some of the quality.  I've played there a few times and of the 25 pics or so I have on;y a few of them you can actually see the hole and my several early morning rounds all you see is the sun glistening of the dew.

The picture of Kingsley Club is sitting on the 7th tee.  What you're seeing is the 7th fairway and in the background the large hazzard on the 8th.  I just love the way these holes fit into the existing landscape and topography.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2008, 03:26:37 PM »
Brian,

Thanks for a great thread.   Michigan is certainly blessed with some tremendous courses and I wish I got to this thread earlier because I was lucky enough to have played quite a number on your list in the past week and they are all quite visually memorable and diverse.

Brian Cenci

« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2008, 03:48:39 PM »
Brian,

Thanks for a great thread.   Michigan is certainly blessed with some tremendous courses and I wish I got to this thread earlier because I was lucky enough to have played quite a number on your list in the past week and they are all quite visually memorable and diverse.

Where did ya' play and what were some of your favorites / comments / thoughts?

-Brian

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2008, 04:20:10 PM »
Brian,

I had a great six days...in order, I played;

Arcadia Bluffs
True North
Bay Harbor (Links/Quarry)
Kingsley Club
Belvedere
Boyne Highlands (Heather)
Boyne Highlands (Hills)
Charlevoix Golf Club (the old 9-holer)
LochenHeath
High Pointe
Tullymore

I'll try to post some comments this weekend, or perhaps just put my "Doak Scale" score on each and see what interest/discussion that generates.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back