News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Huckaby

All great advice from Sean.

Re Muirfield, is the ability to book just 18 a local thing, or new?  When I went it was definitely the full 36 plus lunch or nothing.  But it was several years ago.  In any case, man I still find that to be very fun, particularly for the one-time visitor.  But you are right that N. Berwick is not to be missed.  Decisions, decisions....

;D

Daryl David

Re Muirfield, is the ability to book just 18 a local thing, or new?  When I went it was definitely the full 36 plus lunch or nothing.  But it was several years ago.  In any case, man I still find that to be very fun, particularly for the one-time visitor.  But you are right that N. Berwick is not to be missed.  Decisions, decisions....

;D

You can book 18 only.  I have done it twice mainly due to not wanting to play foursomes in the afternoon.  Would much rather head to North Berwick for an afternoon round than hit alternate shot.  Too high a price to pay for the whole lunch in a suit and tie thing.

Tom Huckaby

;D

You can book 18 only.  I have done it twice mainly due to not wanting to play foursomes in the afternoon.  Would much rather head to North Berwick for an afternoon round than hit alternate shot.  Too high a price to pay for the whole lunch in a suit and tie thing.

Excellent!  Always better to have options.

I for one really enjoyed the whole day there.  But then again I was with a group of 12 and it was us against the locals, more or less... man it was fun.  I may well be over-romanticizing it.  I do believe if one has the time, it is worth the money to do the whole day.  But if time is pressing, well... it's a lot of money and Gullane and N. Berwick need to be seen....

TH

Chris Kane

Brian:  a word of friendly advice - treat it as a once in a lifetime trip.  Do not take anything for granted.   Many are the women who are understanding before marriage, especially with marriage promised, few are those who continue this understanding very long post-marriage, very very very few are those who show any understanding once the kids arrive.

Funnily enough Tom, I've always been taught never to treat anything as a once in a lifetime trip, because to do so would drive you totally crazy whenever you miss something.

Chris Kane

11 & 12. Play TOC come hell or high water.  Apply for a tee time in a few weeks I think is the deadline for applications.  This date should be what your entire trip revolves around.  If you don't get a time, devote two days to the cause if need be.  Its not like there aren't other courses of interest in the area.  Call while traveling to get on the ballot and call later to see if you were successful.  Show up in the am for a pick up game.  If you don't get on one day play Kingsbarns or the Castle course.  If you can play TOC twice its a bonus.  If you are looking for 36 in a day play something a bit more quaint in the area like Elie.  Skip Carnoustie.  Again its extra drive time when other courses are right on the doorstep

Agreed.  You'll be able to make bookings for Kingsbarns and the Castle course contingent on your success in the ballot, so enter it each day, and try to walk on early in the morning if you aren't successful.

Sean_A

Brian:  a word of friendly advice - treat it as a once in a lifetime trip.  Do not take anything for granted.   Many are the women who are understanding before marriage, especially with marriage promised, few are those who continue this understanding very long post-marriage, very very very few are those who show any understanding once the kids arrive.

Funnily enough Tom, I've always been taught never to treat anything as a once in a lifetime trip, because to do so would drive you totally crazy whenever you miss something.

Chris

You are so right.  It fits the same thing I said.  You can't play it all in two weeks so don't get up in the list ticking routine.  Play some of these courses twice - it won't be regretted. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tom Huckaby

Sean/Chris:

In terms of the practicality of how to do this best, I agree with you.

My advice was approximately 1% about golf trips and 99% about marriage. 

Think of it that way.  If you are married and especially if you have kids, you will understand.

TH

Sean_A

Sean/Chris:

Think of it that way.  If you are married and especially if you have kids, you will understand.

TH

AwsHuckster

I work on a different principle regards marriage/family.  I like to do short trips - hit n runs as JakaB calls them.  Once a year I do a 4-5 nighter and that is limited by me and by choice.  I get bored playing too much golf and 5 days is about the max. 

Regarding our young Brian, I suggest he set precedent now in his marriage where golf is concerned.  Its better to go into the marriage with a habit than to develop one along the way!  Its better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

CJ Carder

11 & 12. Play TOC come hell or high water.  Apply for a tee time in a few weeks I think is the deadline for applications.  This date should be what your entire trip revolves around. 

Great point Sean.  I do recall doing that very same thing two years ago and the date is coming up soon.  Brian, I think you can check the St. Andrews Links Trust website for that.  But definitely make sure you get your application in ASAP.  The advice I got with that application is, make sure every I is dotted and T crossed.  Don't try to switch out names, and make sure each person has a defined handicap and home club to list.  

I for one really enjoyed the whole day there.  But then again I was with a group of 12 and it was us against the locals, more or less... man it was fun.  I may well be over-romanticizing it.  I do believe if one has the time, it is worth the money to do the whole day.  But if time is pressing, well... it's a lot of money and Gullane and N. Berwick need to be seen....

Tom, I don't think you're over-romanticizing it one bit.  I thought the Muirfield lunch was terrific and really a neat experience that set the day apart from just about any other day we were there.  The food was actually good and edible and we had plenty of time to relax and change back to golfing attire so we weren't completely stuffed heading back out for the foursome.  I know I've said this before on other threads, but I just can't say enough great things about Muirfield.  If I could, I'd do the full day tour 3-4 days a week easy.

Mark makes a great point re weekends - those will be your toughest days to find access for.  To that end, are you setting this up yourself or using a travel company?  The former can be done and is kinda fun, the latter can make more dreams come true.

Also very true.  And the funny thing is, I'm not sure the cost is really all that different.  I'm sure it is some, because they have to make money obviously, but I'd pull my hair out trying to contact all these clubs, arrange tee times, book reasonable lodging establishments, etc.  PM me if you need a travel company recommendation - the one we used last summer was top notch all the way.

Tony_Muldoon

The Southwest to County Down is a huge drive and a lost day. You are better off re-routing by landing in Shannon, playing the courses in the southwest (Lahinch, Ballybunion to Old Head) then traveling over to the European Club up to Co. Louth and from there into the North and then to Scotland by ferry.  This route should prevent  lost travel days.

Rory I missed your first post, but welcome to the board.

Connaughton is not that commmon a surname even in Ireland, is there any chance you are related to, or the creator of these magnificent new Greens? A full report will follow on another thread, but there's anew hidden gem being created.

Let's make GCA grate again!

Tom Huckaby

Sean/Chris:

TH

AwsHuckster

I work on a different principle regards marriage/family.  I like to do short trips - hit n runs as JakaB calls them.  Once a year I do a 4-5 nighter and that is limited by me and by choice.  I get bored playing too much golf and 5 days is about the max. 

Regarding our young Brian, I suggest he set precedent now in his marriage where golf is concerned.  Its better to go into the marriage with a habit than to develop one along the way!  Its better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission.

Ciao

Fully agreed.  I treat it quite the same.  I did manage a few massive trips like this in the first few years of marriage, but since the kids came it's been nothing but hit and runs.  And that is just fine.

The point is that it's just funny how precedents get forgotten, and nothing is really ever grandfathered in forever.

So my concern was when he said he might do it in 10 years... like that's an outside BAD thing... I believe he will find that in 10 years he'll still be wishing for a massive trip like this.  So yes, best to get it in NOW.

TH

Kalen Braley

Huck,

Precedents aren't forgotten, you've just been re-programmed and beat down by the steel ball at the end of that chain.

Like my buddy always says...in the first year of marriage, someone is getting trained, and if you ain't doing the training, well you can figure out the rest for yourself!  ;D

Rory Connaughton

Tony,

If you are referring to Eddie Connaughton, I suspect that we are related but not closely.  My father is from Dublin (by way of Longford) and my mother is from Cork but they emigrated to the US in 1969.  Most of my family remains in Ireland and my sister is married to a guy from Mullingar where they live.  If you think Connaughton is an uncommon name in Ireland, try Pennsylvania!  Very curious about your photos.  Are some of St. Anne's?

Sean_A

Sean/Chris:

TH

AwsHuckster

Ciao

Fully agreed.  I treat it quite the same.  I did manage a few massive trips like this in the first few years of marriage, but since the kids came it's been nothing but hit and runs.  And that is just fine.

The point is that it's just funny how precedents get forgotten, and nothing is really ever grandfathered in forever.

So my concern was when he said he might do it in 10 years... like that's an outside BAD thing... I believe he will find that in 10 years he'll still be wishing for a massive trip like this.  So yes, best to get it in NOW.

TH

Huck

The ironic thing is I didn't play golf when my wife and I married nearly 18 years ago.  My wife had no idea (and to be fair I didn't either) that I was a dormant golf freak.  I had to fight the hard way to BREAK precedence.  Well, I didn't have to fight too hard as I expect I would have gone down heavily if it came to blows.  When I first started doing trips to the UK, strangely enough about a year after we were married, I got away with week trips for golf because I couldn't hack hangin about the outlaws place for a two week holiday (my wife is English).  So I was given dispensation to head out into the wilds until I was bored.

Ciao

Doug Wright

Just put it in the prenuptial agreement!
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Jason McNamara

Brian:

I am surprised that you aren't trying to play Carne, Wick, Woodhall Spa, and Royal Jersey all on the same trip.  :)

Sean has a good idea re the Larne - Troon ferry, esp. since it's less than 2 hrs.

Tom Huckaby

Sean, yours is a different model, a different set of facts if you will.

We shall see what young Brian manages, or even wants to manage.  One size does not fit all, for sure.  But I do still believe that taking future trips for granted would not be wise.  Not that he's doing that... but well... even thinking in terms of getting back in 10 years is not all that wise.  Of course you guys are right, you can drive yourself crazy thinking you are missing things... but I'd still rather experience as much as possible rather than assuming I'll get back, and leaving stuff for then.

Note Dan King thinks of this completely opposite from me.  But his kids are grown and he's independently wealthy.  Talk about a different set of facts....

;D

Tony_Muldoon

Rory all from Arklow, 15 minutes from the European Club.  Still I'm pleased you've heard of Eddie Conaughton who was news to me.  When I saw them, I asked some members who was redesigning the greens? One  turned to me and said "I think he's called John Deere".
Let's make GCA grate again!

Rory Connaughton

Tony,

Based on those photos, Arklow looks like a must play especially if the EC is on the itinerary.  How does it compare to Rosslare?

Tom Huckaby

Huck,

Precedents aren't forgotten, you've just been re-programmed and beat down by the steel ball at the end of that chain.

Like my buddy always says...in the first year of marriage, someone is getting trained, and if you ain't doing the training, well you can figure out the rest for yourself!  ;D

Please.  I am the greatest trainer there is in this respect.  I also just know which battles are worth fighting, and which prices are worth paying.

I believe you know what I am doing in a few weeks; you do not know what I've been able to manage in recent years even with kids.  I do get around a bit.  None of this happened by accident.

The point remains that taking future trips for granted remains unwise... even looking 10 years out.... prices do need to be paid, no matter what training gets done early.

TH

Kalen Braley

Huck,

Please.  I am the greatest trainer there is in this respect.  I also just know which battles are worth fighting, and which prices are worth paying.

I believe you know what I am doing in a few weeks; you do not know what I've been able to manage in recent years even with kids.  I do get around a bit.  None of this happened by accident.

The point remains that taking future trips for granted remains unwise... even looking 10 years out.... prices do need to be paid, no matter what training gets done early.

TH

Huck, I like the way you spin baby...spin, spin, spin.   ;D

But yes, in the end I must agree, you've managed far more trips than me, so you got scoreboard. 

Tom Huckaby

Kalen:  well done.

Spin is a good thing... but scoreboard is better.

;D

Mark Pearce

My $0.02:   

3) I love seeing hidden gems but the way I plan my trips is to see as many "great" courses as I can, as I'm still trying to understand what "great" is.  Decades from now when I retire I'll go back and play my favorites again and finally discover some of those hidden gems.  I treat every golf trip as if it's the first and last time I'll be there.  

Can you understand what great is without playing the second tier courses?  Who's to say that great and Open Rota courses are the same thing?  Is Troon really great and Elie not, simply because one is long and hard enough to host the Open?  Shouldn't a once in a lifetime trip to the UK at least include some experience of courses like Elie, Crail, North Berwick and Cruden Bay?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Chris Kane

Tom, surely there is a difference between a once-in-a-lifetime and once-in-20 years?  Presuming you'll never go back somewhere seems very negative - he may not go back there for a very long time, but the better attitude is to presume that he'll get the chance to see the things he missed another time.

It doesn't just apply to golf.  I backpacked around Europe for five week last year - the list of things I was disappointed to miss is longer than the list of things I did see.  I have no idea if and when I'll make it back there, but I didn't let that affect how I planned the trip.  The biggest mistake one can make is trying to do too much in too short a time period.

I will defer to your greater experience of marriage and kids (I have none!), but if I've been taught correctly, kids grow up and become independent adults!

Mark Pearce

;D

Wow.  I don't think I have ever disagreed more with such a simple post.  Muirfield is an experience.  It's a whole day.  If I was flying from the States for a weeks golf I'd bring my jacket and tie just to make sure I could do the whole 36 holes and lunch.  Frankly, if you're visiting the UK to experience British golf then a day at Muirfield (with jacket and tie and lunch) is an unmissable insight into a part of that.  Of course, you can always just play the courses and sod the culture -  a version of JK's hit and run but that wouldn't be for me.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back