News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_malone

Re: Stonewall Olde, North and Merion East.
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2008, 11:09:44 AM »
 Jamie,

I have heard that . The technique I heard for August was less chemical dependent, I think. Either way, members need to be informed that the temporary bad look is part of a long term benefit to the course.
AKA Mayday

Scott Stambaugh

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2008, 09:15:43 PM »
And, most people on here are quick to critisize/debate archirecture because (I think) that is one of the premises of this site.  By the time people on this site are debating a particular architect, the check has already been cashed.  Ripping the condition of a course can have a negative impact on a Superintendent and his staff.  I always appreciate the Tour players who are quick to critisize the quality of a golf course if it is not to their satisfaction on a particular week.  People lose their jobs over stuff ilke this.  Although, I'm pretty sure not the case with this event.

Scott

Scott,

I agree one feature of this site is to criticise the design, but I think maintenance and design are intertwined and therefore both subject to scrutiny on this site.  Superintendents I know have made my modest, if somewhat mediocre designs much better through their maintenance efforts.  With regard for this site I doubt seriously any superintendent is subject to dismissal because of opinions posted here. 

I also dispute your implication that architect's are not vulnerable to negative comments because they have already cashed their checked and moved on.  While I doubt any architect is hurt by what goes on here, certainly negative comments could under your theory affect their prospects for future work.

Fair enough.

It just seems odd to me to bring this to a public forum after spending all day with a member from the club.

Scott

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2008, 08:50:33 AM »
I would gladly accept an invite to play Merion after aeration and I promise NOT to call it a muni feel!
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

JESII

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2008, 08:54:22 AM »
Maybe it could be its own thread, but I'd like to hear about Stonewall...I've played the Old once, 8 years ago, and the North twice last year. I would like to hear how they compare and contrast within one club.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2008, 08:27:26 PM »
JES - Stonewall looks great.  (I play across the street).  We have a some folks that play both clubs regularly, and the only negative I've ever heard is that they're having challenges with thistle in some of their fescue areas (as are we). 

Stonewall old gets a fair amount of play (the red caddy t-shirts are easy to spot).   Personally, I love th 4th hole over there. 

Stonewall south (the new course) doesn't seem to get a lot of play.  Don't know why, becuase the course looks really cool - great vistas, great angles, etc.  I've never played it, though.

I guarantee that there are some folks here that know a LOT more about Stonewall than I do.  Wayne posted a great photo-filled thread last year- Let me see if I can find it.

Here it is (but the pics are off the original website Wayne used):  http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,24529.0.html
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 08:31:04 PM by Dan Herrmann »

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2008, 02:13:50 PM »
I would gladly accept an invite to play Merion after aeration and I promise NOT to call it a muni feel!

Whats wrong with a 'muni' I like TOC ;)
Jamie,

I have heard that . The technique I heard for August was less chemical dependent, I think. Either way, members need to be informed that the temporary bad look is part of a long term benefit to the course.

Correct Jamie. Reaching for the pill bottle (chemicals) is just supressing the symtoms. If you don't get to the root of the problem Poa will come back in time. Poa a. is rarely sown but appears on all courses that can sustain cool season grasses. To keep it in check it is better to encourage conditions that favour the desired grasses and supress Poa a. although a little in the sward can be an advantage.

ChipOat

« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2008, 07:52:31 PM »
I played Merion about 2 weeks ago (pre-aeration) and the condition of the fairways was terrific (as were the greens).  I know because I spent a lot of time admiring my playing partners' tee shots with envy as I walked toward my ball in the rough (or a creek).

I don't know for certain, but I suspect Wayne Morrison's explanation re: poa annua control is accurate.  As to the unfilled divot holes - I'm surprised to hear it but can offer no explanation.

Matt OBrien

« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2008, 08:09:39 PM »
I played merion on saturday and I thought that the greens were puttable. For only being a week after punching the greens, they were great. The weather has been perfect for the greens to heal and it was far from "Muni." The fairways were perfect im most areas and the areas that they were killing the poa were about 50 yds from the green on most fairways and it didnt even come into play. I would play Merion in those conditions anyday over any "Muni" course. If the course doesnt aerate the course now then the next time you get invited to play there it might all be dead. (thats if you ever get invited back)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back