News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Blain

Suggestions on where to play in Philly
« on: August 21, 2008, 09:29:12 PM »
My wife and I are traveling down to Philadelphia to play Stonewall and Merion next Tuesday and Wednesday. We will be leaving Monday from central New York and would appreciate any suggestions as to a good place to play (that is on the beaten path) on the way down on Monday. We'll be staying near Stonewall Monday night.

We are both in the golf business and generally don't have a problem getting on either private or semi-private courses. I know many private clubs have outings on Monday but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in adavance for any help -

John

Ed Oden

Re: Suggestions on where to play in Philly
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 09:54:16 PM »
John, I asked a similar question a few months back.  If you search you will likely find the suggestions I received.  I would do the search for you but can't do so very well on my blackberry.

Ed

Ian Andrew

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 09:57:44 PM »
For something completely different Huntingdon Valley would be my recommendation. There may be better Flynn courses but that one offers a real interesting look at how to make em' really hard without length.

There are many great holes there.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 10:04:53 PM »
For something completely different Huntingdon Valley would be my recommendation. There may be better Flynn courses but that one offers a real interesting look at how to make em' really hard without length.

There are many great holes there.

I would play Ian's renovation of Scranton CC. Travis course on the way to and from Philly, I have not played it, but that would be my pick.

Ed Oden

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 10:18:14 PM »
John, I should have added to my earlier post that Applebrook was the only private club I could find that was available for play on Monday.  I was scheduled to play there but unfortunately had to cancel unexpectedly.  Best of luck!

Ed

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 10:20:49 PM »
A little bit closer to Stonewall would be the public Lederach by Kelly Blake Moran near Harleysville. No problems about access on a Monday. This course has been discussed here many times.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Bob Harris

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 07:57:29 AM »
RiverCrest GC and Preserve, a private club in Phoenixville, is also open on Mondays.

wsmorrison

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 08:42:51 AM »
JP

Mondays are tough around here since the privates are generally closed.  Ian's suggestion of Huntingdon Valley is excellent, though I doubt they are open for play.  Someday you should play all 27 holes.

Ian's work at CC Scranton is excellent and if they're open that too would be a great place to play.

Glen Mills GC (in Glen Mills) is a public course on the grounds of a private school  It is an excellent Bobby Weed course on some severe terrain, but great fun none the less.

You could try and arrange play at Merion West.  The course is open everyday all year round as long as weather allows.  It is short (5989 yards) but lots of fun.  You'll never see anything like the stretch between 6-8, the quirky corner.  Since you're already playing the East, your connection may be able to help you with the West on a Monday.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back