News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Re: Gillette Silver - An American Rater
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2008, 02:29:25 PM »
Did the asphalt plant close early this year?
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Joe Hancock

« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2008, 02:57:35 PM »
This reminds me...sniff, sniff....of the good old days...sniff.....

Thanks, John, for the tears of joy......

Joe

" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2008, 03:11:43 PM »
Mike, Joe -

you may have missed it, but Gillette has asked that we not post trivial or non-architectural comments on this thread. He has a slow modem, and he's also developing a holistic approach to sanitizing needles, much in line with his belief that acupuncture is a dish best served cold.

I for one plan to honour that request.

Also, note Gillette's interesting take on the "fear bias" in judging courses. I believe -- but John will know better -- that Gillette is suggesting that the more fear a course engenders (e.g. fear of its shot-testing challenges; fear of offending an established and sophisticated membership and of being found lacking) the higher that course will rank in the end, given the grateful relief and gratitude a golfer feels at having made the grade after all.   

Peter
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 03:25:11 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2008, 10:43:37 PM »
Did the asphalt plant close early this year?

Or, better question, has JakaB been sniffing the asphalt?  ??? :o

CHrisB

« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2008, 11:45:01 PM »
Gill is also an expert in the arts of acupuncture and ventriloquism. He can make bunkers speak to you in the voice of the architect.

Rumor has it that if you take care of his airfare, Gill will accompany you to the Bandon Sheep Ranch, where he will walk the course with his loveable Tom Doak ventriloquist dummy, who will explain to you the numerous possible 18-hole routings of the property and share the inspiration for the design. Here's a picture of Gill and "Tommy D" from an old Craigslist ad I ran across:
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 11:48:23 PM by Chris Brauner »

BCowan

« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2017, 10:27:02 PM »
This is one of the funniest threads I've read on here.  Does Gillette prefer the Golden Age, The Dark Ages, or minimalism?   

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back