News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

John Pflum

Semi OT: Report from Cincinnati Event (Longish)
« on: July 30, 2008, 06:34:59 PM »
Close the books on another successful RSG Cincinnati Golf Classic.  Each year is better than the last and this year was no exception.  I had a great time this year and I hope that everyone who participated feels the same way.  I’d like to thank everyone who attended and I hope you all can come back next year!

There are a lot of stories to tell and there is not enough time to tell them all.  I will, however, try to give my highlights of the weekend.

Photo Galleries:

Rob Pyle
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rockpyle/

The Host’s
http://www.pbase.com/jpflumjr/rsg_cincinnati_2008

Friday

The event opened at my home course – Hickory Woods.  It is a nice parkland style course on the east side of town.  It won’t get any awards for breathtaking design or Augusta-like conditions but it a fun course and the staff are excellent. 
I had my “Shot of the Weekend” on my approach into the par 5 18th hole.  I busted a drive right down the middle and had only 200 yards into the green.  I was in the last group and all of the other players gathered around the last green (as in tradition after all the rounds).  The approach shot plays a club extra since the shot is all carry over a deep valley.  I nutted a three-wood right that landed on the front of the green and trickled just off the back edge.  I missed the eagle chip but I had a nice tap in bird. 
   After the round we gathered around the car of one Mr. Rob “Rock” Pyle, home brewer extraordinaire.  He brought a sampling of excellent home brews: a light wheat, a dark wheat, and a super delicious stout. 
   The Friday afternoon round was just a five minute drive down the road at O’Bannon Creek Golf Club.  This is a GREAT private club that we play just about every year.  My father has been a member there for about five years and they are very accommodating to my event.  The course conditions are always excellent and it is a stern test of your game. 
   I renounced my US citizenship for 4 hours and joined the Canadian side for the traditional Pesky Canadian vs. USA match.  The USA team jumped out to a quick one up lead thanks to a nice birdie on the first hole and cruised from there.  We Canadians were four down at one point but came back to making it a respectable 2&1 loss. 

Saturday – Tournament Day

The Tournament is the highlight of the event and it also causes me the most stress.  There is a lot to get done prior to teeing off and I rarely get any spare time.  This year was no exception.  I handed out the last of the scorecards to the competitors and headed for the first tee.  It’s my event so I always play in the first group and I always tee off first.  I thinned one down the left side of the fairway and we were off. 
   It was brutally humid for the first few holes.  It is typically damn hot for my event but that is the trade off I get for the lack of water falling from the sky.  At least you can play when it’s hot.  <smile>

THE RESULTS!!!!!!!!

The 2008 RSG Champion Golfer for the most Net Stableford Points is:

Mark Georg from Pennsylvania

Mark played a fantastic round.  He had NO net double bogeys the entire round.  He is truly a deserving Champion. 

The full net standings:

1.   Mark Georg
2.   Keith Torrance
3.   Dave Osborne
4.   Rob Pyle
5.   William King
6.   Gary Hayenga
7.   Nick Mock
8.   John Pflum
9.   Mark Koenig
10.   Joe Pflum
11.   Jack Pflum
12.   John V. Mock
13.   Bert Robbins
14.   David Sneddon
15.   Thor Himself
16.   Joe Darmogray

The 2008 Supreme Golfer for the most Gross Stableford Points is:

Mark Koenig from Texas

Mark now holds both titles for the RSG events held in Ohio however they were not won in the same calendar year.  Does that count as the “Ohio Slam”?  Discuss amongst yourselves. 

Full gross standings:

1.   Mark Koenig
2.   Keith Torrance
3.   Mark Georg
4.   William King
5.   David Sneddon
6.   Gary Hayenga
7.   Dave Osborne
8.   Rob Pyle
9.   John Pflum
10.   Nick Mock
11.   Jack Pflum
12.   Joe Pflum
13.   Thor Himself
14.   Bert Robbins
15.   John V. Mock
16.   Joe Darmogray

Epilogue

We played another round of golf on Sunday morning but there were no matches and beers on the line.  It was hard to get motivated to play well and there were not any good scores in my foursome. 
   I’d like to thank everyone who made the trip to attend my little event.  Even though it is a lot of work I love doing it so I can play golf (by definition) with my friends.  A few people deserve special thanks:
•   Mark Koenig – he developed a fantastic spreadsheet and without his help there is no way I could use the scoring system I have.
•   Rob Pyle – for brining plenty of his wonderful home brew beer.  It was amazingly delicious and I can’t wait to taste the Dead to Pflumenweissen.  <smile>
•   Bert Robbins – I think that Bert had the longest trip (time wise) and he donated a couple of awesome Cleveland Hybrids for the prize table.  Thanks, Bert!!!!
•   Thor Himself – for doing his usual job of keeping the rain away. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Traditional “Things I Learned at RSG Cincinnati 2008”:

•   Whacking yourself in the ankle with your putter leaves a nasty bruise.  (I did this on Friday morning and it still looks pretty nasty.”
•   Overheard in the parking lot on Saturday afternoon: “I know a lot of strippers…..”
•   Wager placed:  Mark Koenig will caddy for Michelle Wie on the LPGA tour within the next` ten years.  Loser has to buy a round of golf at Spyglass or some other kick ass course. 
•   Criss Titschinger will now be known as “Creamer” after playing a pink driver with a pink shaft.  He knocks the crap out of it. 
•   You know it’s going to be a good weekend when Bill-O shows up on the first tee with doughnuts for everyone. 
•   Three etiquette violations will get you DQed in next year’s event (Keith Torrance).  <smile>
•   Rob Pyle gets darn serious in a Meat vs. Bones match as he yells at his opponent’s ball to nestle down in the rough. 
--
jvdp

Criss Titschinger

Re: Semi OT: Report from Cincinnati Event (Longish)
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 08:04:31 PM »
I'm glad my pink driver and cracking joints could leave a lasting impression on the group.  I even distracted myself in the afternoon round.  Maybe I should see a doctor about that...

Thanks for the invite, John.  I had a blast and was especially impressed with O'Bannon Creek.  I'm looking forward to next year and hoping I get more than just one day in.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 08:27:43 AM »
I live right down the street from O'Bannon Creek and although I dont belong there, I will soon. I have played there a few times, have they made the greens any faster? I am too busy trying to play 40 NEW courses every year.
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

JLahrman

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 09:12:09 AM »
John,

Sounds like a good time and sorry I wasn't able to attend.  We will have to meet up sometime soon.

O'Bannon is a tricky little course, lots of interesting shots (and a few holes I don't care for).  Overall it's a nice simple facility, not much to do there except play golf which is nice.

As for ol' Hick...I've played there about a million times.  If your expectations aren't too high you'll have a good time there.

John Pflum

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 09:44:16 AM »
I'm glad my pink driver and cracking joints could leave a lasting impression on the group.  I even distracted myself in the afternoon round.  Maybe I should see a doctor about that...

Thanks for the invite, John.  I had a blast and was especially impressed with O'Bannon Creek.  I'm looking forward to next year and hoping I get more than just one day in.

Criss,

What did you think of the obimination, er I mean "design element", they are putting in on hole #11? 
--
jvdp

John Pflum

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 09:49:45 AM »
John,

Sounds like a good time and sorry I wasn't able to attend.  We will have to meet up sometime soon.

O'Bannon is a tricky little course, lots of interesting shots (and a few holes I don't care for).  Overall it's a nice simple facility, not much to do there except play golf which is nice.

As for ol' Hick...I've played there about a million times.  If your expectations aren't too high you'll have a good time there.

Yep -- that's a good assessment of Hickory.  It is a nice fit for an outing like this especially the warm up round.  It's pretty inexpensive and a slow start into the weekend.  You don't want to start with Coldstream and then go downhill from there.  :-) 

Just curious -- which holes at O'Bannon don't you like? 
--
jvdp

JLahrman

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 10:53:16 AM »
Just curious -- which holes at O'Bannon don't you like? 

As a note, I haven't played there in about ten years, but here are some of the holes I wasn't crazy about:

#2 - entire hole is open except for the creek and the trees that pinch the fairway, which creates sort of a hallway effect even though there are hardly any trees on the hole.

#10 - the green just seems to be too goofy and out of character with the rest of the course

#13 - I like short gambling par 4s, but this one is what, 250 yards?  And unless I'm misremembering to a Clemens-like degree, you have to hit such a banana ball to get it up by the green that there isn't much to be gained by going for it when you can hit an iron out left and still have a 50 yard pitch in.

#14 - I just never liked this hole, I don't know why.

I do think the par 3s are very solid.  Additionally, there are some good par 4s although mostly on the front side.  I like the front much more than the back.  It's a course that's generally fun to play, although I think you have to go to the tippy tips to get it to stretch to 6500 yards.  You don't need to hit driver, or woods at all for that matter, very often.  But I'm glad to play there.  Put me down for next year, I will make it work somehow.

What are they doing to #11?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 11:07:55 AM by JAL »

John Pflum

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 11:19:55 AM »

Two words: Water fall

They dug an extra pond (that really should not effect the play of the whole unless you have a wicked slice) short and right of the green essentially for water to take care of course conditions.  Someone decided it would be cool to have a water fall between the two ponds.  Ugh. 
--
jvdp

Kalen Braley

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 11:22:47 AM »
Sounds like you guys had a blast, and a Stableford system sounds great to me for us high cappers!!!

Throw in some laughs and beer out of the trunk and this is my kind of gathering!!!

JLahrman

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 11:34:01 AM »

Two words: Water fall

They dug an extra pond (that really should not effect the play of the whole unless you have a wicked slice) short and right of the green essentially for water to take care of course conditions.  Someone decided it would be cool to have a water fall between the two ponds.  Ugh. 

Lovely.  I'm sure it will be tasteful.

John Pflum

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 11:55:50 AM »
Have you seen/hear what they are doing at Kenwood?  I was there a couple of weeks ago for an outing (hoping to get out there again in the next couple of weeks).  They converted one of the (bad) par 4s into a severely downhill par three with a cascading man-made creek running down the whole right side.  I haven't seen it in action yet but I suspect it won't fit in with the rest of the course. 
--
jvdp

JLahrman

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 12:02:12 PM »
Which hole?  And I'm no Kenwood expert, I think I've played each course once.

Criss Titschinger

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 12:31:24 PM »
Criss,

What did you think of the obimination, er I mean "design element", they are putting in on hole #11? 

Made me laugh.  Definitely not a fan.  I did like how the work on 11 and other holes (15?) was being done in house.

What I liked about O'Bannon was that it was a pure golf club.  There's not many private courses in the Cincinnati area that don't have a country club element to them as well.  I can only think of Miami View and Traditions as the others, but I may be missing one.

I agree with an earlier post about the par 3s; very strong selection.

John Pflum

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 01:12:51 PM »
Which hole?  And I'm no Kenwood expert, I think I've played each course once.

I can't remember for sure.  It is somewhere on the back nine of the "ladies' course", I believe.  It is that goofy par four that plays way down the hill, then takes a 90* turn to the left directly up the hill. 
--
jvdp

JLahrman

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 01:56:29 PM »
I do remember that hole, maybe #15 or #16 and that would be the Kenview course I believe.  And it is kind of a goofy hole, but it doesn't sound like what you're describing will be much better...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back