News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Joel Zuckerman

One round in Athens, Georgia
« on: July 30, 2008, 01:12:14 PM »
Have played Athens CC.

Any suggestions at to what else in the neighborhood is worth seeking out?

Thank you!

RJ_Daley

Re: One round in Athens, Georgia
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 01:16:38 PM »
Mike Young's Long Shadow, without question.  I can't say what weather or conditions are like right now.  I'm sure some ATlantans will chime in.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

J_McKenzie

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 01:21:50 PM »
Joe,

If you haven't played the University Golf Course, I would highly recommend that you give it a go.  I understand that it is in great condition and probably not overly crowded since school is out.  A Robert Trent Jones, Sr. course that was recently renovated by Love Golf Design.  A very solid test of golf.

John

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 02:28:59 PM »
Longshadow is a must play, don't miss, not far south of Athen at Madison on I-20.  You will love all the strategery on this course.

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 02:30:03 PM »
What about Jennings Mill?  Any opinions?

Kyle Christensen

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 04:26:45 PM »
Played at Long Shadow last Sunday. The course is excellent and the fairways are really growing in nicely. Layout is  a blast, and the greens roll very true out there.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 04:37:33 PM »
Definitely make the drive to Long Shadow.  It's 30-40 minutes from Athens.  It's a great golf course.   
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,31505.0.html

There's also a great BBQ place just north of I-20 worth checking out.  I don't remember the name, though.  Maybe Mike Young can chime in.

Adam Russell

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 06:32:29 PM »
I go to school at UGA, so I've played everything within about a fifty mile radius of the city. The problem with Athens is that it has no other real options besides ACC. Jennings/UGA are bland courses that I've never felt like I got my money's worth at, especially UGA. And if your going to drive to Madison, you might as well go to Cuscowilla. But for something closer than that, try Mike Young's Lane Creek in Oconee County. It's a course I've always had a blast at. It's about 15 minutes from downtown, or less from the southside of town if your near 441. Cheap, simple, with some good fairway movement and great approach shots into greens. Also have good short par-4's.  Don't want to be a downer, but there's really no courses that I would consider worth a trip inside the city proper.
The only way that I could figure they could improve upon Coca-Cola, one of life's most delightful elixirs, which studies prove will heal the sick and occasionally raise the dead, is to put rum or bourbon in it.” -Lewis Grizzard

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 06:40:42 PM »
I go to school at UGA, so I've played everything within about a fifty mile radius of the city. The problem with Athens is that it has no other real options besides ACC. Jennings/UGA are bland courses that I've never felt like I got my money's worth at, especially UGA. And if your going to drive to Madison, you might as well go to Cuscowilla. But for something closer than that, try Mike Young's Lane Creek in Oconee County. It's a course I've always had a blast at. It's about 15 minutes from downtown, or less from the southside of town if your near 441. Cheap, simple, with some good fairway movement and great approach shots into greens. Also have good short par-4's.  Don't want to be a downer, but there's really no courses that I would consider worth a trip inside the city proper.

Adam, have you played Longshadow yet?  I consider it not far behind Cuscowilla.  The land is just as much fun, there's a whole lot going on, and #17 might be as fun as any par 3 you ever played.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 08:17:12 PM »
Another vote for Longshadow.  It is not to be missed, every bit on the same level as Cuscowilla and far, far less expensive.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 09:32:41 PM »
Liked Long Shadow as much as Cusco...

Actually, had more fun at the former, but the front nine of the latter has some brilliant moments.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 09:37:39 PM »
Doesn't Mike Young pretty much buy dinner and drinks for anyone foolish enough to visit him?

It could very well be worth it, if that's the case.....

;D

" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Bill_McBride

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 09:39:34 PM »
It does appear that Young needs some love today.

Actually, I wore a Young/Rymer Design cap today, I looked marvelous.  ;D

Joe Hancock

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 09:52:31 PM »
It does appear that Young needs some love today.

Actually, I wore a Young/Rymer Design cap today, I looked marvelous.  ;D

Now I wish I would have brought my Fa' Tass cap with me out here in Idaho......
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Mike_Young

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2008, 10:17:41 PM »
Some guy wearing my hat????
Gee and I been trying not to post for a month.....have been in meditation with 3 ODG's including one of the fruitcakes....so I can't post when doing such....we have been discussing how they designed cart paths before golf cars.....and then the one that grew the roses was telling me how he grew weed in each rosebush.....I mean you spend a month talking to these ODG's and you realize just how messed up they were.....a drunk, a stoner and a cake decorator....gee....TE would have been big time back then.... ;D ;D
I got goobers wearing my hat all over the place.....
Hell yes will buy dinner for anyone that will play my stuff.....
Mike
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Joe Hancock

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2008, 10:24:17 PM »
Gee and I been trying not to post for a month.....have been in meditation with 3 ODG's including one of the fruitcakes....so I can't post when doing such....we have been discussing how they designed cart paths before golf cars.....and then the one that grew the roses was telling me how he grew weed in each rosebush.....I mean you spend a month talking to these ODG's and you realize just how messed up they were.....a drunk, a stoner and a cake decorator....gee....TE would have been big time back then.... ;D ;D
Mike

Classic!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2008, 10:33:55 PM »
Mike

Classic!

ROTLMAO = rolling on the floor laughing my ass off!  There is no emoticon that carries this message.

Adam Russell

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2008, 10:39:53 PM »
Hey Bill, you got me all wrong. I'm in the fan club, I was just saying if  your going to go down in that area, play Longshadow AND Cusco. They're 1-1A to me. Which is saying something considering the price difference. Lane Creek is underrated, it's like the 1/2 Longshadow- 1/2 the price, 1/2 the drive, but still so much fun.
The only way that I could figure they could improve upon Coca-Cola, one of life's most delightful elixirs, which studies prove will heal the sick and occasionally raise the dead, is to put rum or bourbon in it.” -Lewis Grizzard

Bill_McBride

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2008, 10:47:13 PM »
That's good, Adam.  I didn't fee the love there, and as you can see, Young freaked out.  God knows what Rymer did.

These guys are "sensitive" artistes.

Adam Russell

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2008, 11:00:53 PM »
Bill,
 Young knows. He FEELS the love.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2008, 08:47:41 AM »
Mike
Joel,
I'm willing to throw in a money-back guarantee that you will love Long Shadow.  If you play it & don't like it, let me know & I'll send your green fee back to you.

That & dinner with Mike.....how could you resist?

Mike_Young

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2008, 04:07:09 PM »
Well...heard from Joel....
He's getting a dinner monday nite.... ;D ;D ;D
might even give him a hat...
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Kalen Braley

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2008, 04:14:37 PM »
Mike
Joel,
I'm willing to throw in a money-back guarantee that you will love Long Shadow.  If you play it & don't like it, let me know & I'll send your green fee back to you.

John,

I forgot to tell you, completely slipped my mind.

I went out there this past weekend for a quick jaunt...and I must say it was just awful.  I don't know who this Mike Young guy thinks he is putting ODG architecure everywhere out there.  The undulating fairways and greens, the bunkers being placed right where I want to hit it, and being requred to think before just about every shot was too much!!  It was too much!!  It was horrid

P.S.  Please forward the check to Utah  ;D

John Mayhugh

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2008, 05:13:27 PM »
Mike
Joel,

John,

I forgot to tell you, completely slipped my mind.

I went out there this past weekend for a quick jaunt...and I must say it was just awful.  I don't know who this Mike Young guy thinks he is putting ODG architecure everywhere out there.  The undulating fairways and greens, the bunkers being placed right where I want to hit it, and being requred to think before just about every shot was too much!!  It was too much!!  It was horrid

P.S.  Please forward the check to Utah  ;D
I'll need to see a receipt. ;)

Jay Flemma

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2008, 05:55:08 PM »
I agree with Brother William...Long Shadow.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back