News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Jay Flemma

Re: The Bad News about Beechtree
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2008, 12:57:31 PM »
It's a dark day for the game and for golf architecture in general.  Tom, is there any word on the fate of Bulle Rock?

Scott Weersing

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2008, 01:20:57 PM »
This is one of the rare cases where they have customers for the houses already. There have been other courses that threatened to close and build houses but none that I know of in 2008.

I think it is a case of opportunity. They got permission to build houses on the course. There are other courses, such as Glen Annie, which can't get permission to close and build houses. See, http://www.noozhawk.com/noozhawk/article/3050/

Another reason Beechtree is closing is that you cannot have two high-end courses in the same area. With Bulle Rock nearby, then it becomes two courses, which to the mass golfer, seems to be the same product.

Is Bulle Rock a better course?

Can you have two high end courses in a non-tourist area? Perhaps in Wisconsin or Minnesota.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2008, 01:44:50 PM »
Tom,

Where would you put this course on your personal favs list of courses that you've done?

I really like the looks of the meandering/rolloing topology and looks a blast to play. Any other insights other than it was a life-saver in getting back to work after a dry spell?

Kalen

Philippe Binette

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2008, 01:52:20 PM »
Too bad they don't plow over 0's instead...

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2008, 02:00:31 PM »
Thank you Tom.
I'm looking forward to playing there soon.
Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2008, 02:09:30 PM »
On a side note as to why this is happening due to the BRAC program.

What happens when/if Obama gets elected and puts the kei-bosh on this thing.  They plow under the course, build some homes and they sit empty after that!!   :'(

David Lott

« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2008, 02:18:36 PM »
Yeah, but many of the great architects have lost gems--it's part of the cachet.

Nonetheless, it must feel bad to have something you put so much creative energy into be obliterated so quickly.
David Lott

Carl Rogers

« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2008, 05:04:21 PM »
Tom,
I will get there this fall.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2008, 08:16:31 PM »
We really should have a treehouse gathering.

I know Sept/October is tough with football, but it'd be a great send-off

Adam_Messix

« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2008, 08:32:42 PM »
I must say this is a sad, but understandable story.  Being a native of the area, it amazes me the amount of housing need that's being anticipated.  I will make every attempt to play one more round at Beechtree this fall.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2008, 08:39:21 PM »
Just did some looking around, and here are the numbers for actual people affected by the changes at Aberdeen Proving Ground:

"The proposed net personnel impacts include the loss of approximately 600 permanent party military, 300 civilian employees, and 2800 military and civilian students, and a gain of more than 5300 civilian employees."

(Aberdeen, MD currently has a population of about 14,000)

Just what we need  - another 10K+ (including families) here in the I-95 corridor :(

Cory Lewis

« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2008, 08:51:50 PM »
We really should have a treehouse gathering.

I know Sept/October is tough with football, but it'd be a great send-off

I might be interested in arranging something like this.  I'll talk to my old boss and see what I can find out. 
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

macm75

« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2008, 12:10:47 AM »
I heard about this a couple weeks ago and I was so hoping it was a bad rumor.  I just came here to read if it was true. 
Sad.  I live outside Philly and I have been convinced, since Beechtree opened, it is the best design and most enjoyable public course in my area.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2008, 09:44:23 AM »
I agree Dan.  We should have a GCA day there...maybe stay overnight and play Bulle Rock.

Weren't we once discussing a rejoinder to the Dixie Cup?  The Mason Jar or something?  How about it?

Matt_Ward

« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2008, 11:15:13 AM »
One of the really neat items in playing Beechtree was when people also played Bulle Rock which is quite close by. The distinctions between the two courses always made for lively talk here on GCA and elsewhere.

Public golf was helped immensely by Beechtree in the greater Baltimore area. So much of what called itself public golf prior to its emergence was nothing more than spotty municipal type courses.

It will be missed.

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2008, 12:34:45 PM »
I'm in for a GCA day at Beechtree...just pick a date.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2008, 02:20:44 PM »
Jay - last time I checked, Marland was SOUTH of the Mason-Dixon line :)

Matt - not just Baltimore, but certainly metro Philly and DC too.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2008, 06:21:34 PM »
OK Dan, that's fine...put the branding department on it and come up a slogan, and I'll show up.

Matt ward or Tom Doak...What about Bulle Rock?  Same fate???

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2008, 07:52:44 PM »
Jay - Bulle Rock is being approached big  time by housing, but I'm guessng it's more of a Baltimore commuting place than DOD workforce housing (whatever that'd be).  Some pretty expensive stuff there, in other words.

There's a lot of land along US40 - I wonder why the developers didn't go there...  It's actually closer to the Bay.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2008, 10:18:59 PM »
Dan, et al:

Do not be surprised once the housing situation has stabilized -- whether short or longer term -- that more golf site locations in the northeast -- especially those at or near primary interstates like 95 and others are targeted for purchase.

The golf slump will make the housing slump seem tame.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2008, 08:10:28 AM »
Matt - good point.

Jay brings up the right future-looking question - is Bulle Rock next?

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2008, 09:09:07 AM »
It's a shame.   Beechtree is a blast and I'd personally play it 8 to 2 vs Bulle Rock.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2008, 06:25:46 PM »
So lets get answers to the two Qs...when is the Beechtree Treehouse Meeting? and is Bulle Rock in trouble too?

Dan Chapman

« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2008, 11:19:05 PM »
Unreal.  I literally just checked into a hotel room in Aberdeen so I can play the course tomorrow morning.  This is the first I heard of this.  I've been hoping to play this course for awhile and now that I'm finally here I see this.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2008, 04:01:12 PM »
How did you enjoy your day there?  Did you play Bulle Rock too?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back