News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom_Doak

The Bad News about Beechtree
« on: July 24, 2008, 11:13:35 PM »
It's official -- last Friday a plan was approved to build 750 housing units on the site of Beechtree Golf Course, only ten years after the course opened.

I happened to be traveling down the east coast today and stopped in and played the course (after a 2-inch rain last night).  It was better work than I remembered, a lot of fun to play.  I will be sorry to see it go, but I understand how the numbers work.  The course was not entirely unsuccessful -- they had been playing around 18,000 rounds a year recently -- but it wasn't enough to make keeping it open more attractive than plowing it under.

A lot of the result just has to do with location, location, location -- there are a lot of places in America where golf courses are struggling right now, but there aren't a lot which can absorb a 750-unit development.

I would encourage everyone to play the course this summer or fall before it's gone, but it is a goner, and that's not going to change.

JSPayne

Re: The Bad News about Beechtree
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 11:17:19 PM »
Signs of the times.....wow.

I know you seem very understanding of the whole situation Tom, but I can't even really imagine how it must feel to see such labor and design ingenuity go to waste. There may always be chances for new endeavors, but each experience is unique and losing the end product would seem to me like losing a part of yourself.

Congrats on a job well done and here's to hoping it won't be completely forgotten.
"To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing it's best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle any human being can fight; and never stop fighting." -E.E. Cummings

John_Conley

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 11:18:14 PM »
Tom, I was just there six weeks ago.  The first time I've played one of your courses.  I loved it.  The pin was back right on 10, which is a great place to see it on my one and only visit.

This brings up an interesting thought.  How many courses on any list (Top 100 this or that, Best in State) actually went out of business in the last 25  years?  I can't recall any others.

A modern NLE.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 11:21:56 PM »
Sorry for your loss, Tom.  Wait, our loss!  As you would have noticed, that neighborhood is in the midst of a dramatic transformation -- maybe at the end of the day it could have done quite a bit more rounds and still gotten taken out.

Mark

PS Here's the story:
http://www.wbaltv.com/newsarchive/16943983/detail.html
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 11:26:29 PM by Mark Bourgeois »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 11:39:32 PM »
As I was telling my intern today after we played, I don't feel the loss nearly as much as everyone assumes.  For us, it was a very important job ... it ended a dry spell of work, and we have been busy pretty much ever since.  And it was an important place for us to practice our craft and get better at it, and it was Brian Slawnik's first job with us.  But, we've built a lot of others since, and losing one of them is not the end of the world to me ... I've been around long enough to understand that there are a lot of MacKenzie and Ross NLE's so I am in good company.

I DO feel badly for all the staff at the course who have worked hard to make it a success, and who will now all be looking for work at the end of this year.  Most of them probably don't want to build houses.

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 11:40:57 PM »
I had the good fortune of playing the course several years ago while on a business trip in the area...truly enjoyed the experience (it was my first Doak course).

Tom...sorry to see your labor of love going the way of the dodo, I can't imagine the feeling.  But...at least you brought joy to the many folks who had the opportunity to take a crack at her.  Thanks!
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 11:47:55 PM »
The golf industry is in very bad shape currently.  Hard to believe anyone is thinking of a housing development in the economy especially with the recent housing numbers.  There is an 11 month supply of homes on the market.

I think a second edition of "Lost Links" with courses lost in the last 5 years playing a major role.

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 11:59:36 PM »
There is a much bigger reason here...a bunch of military folks (BRAC Realignment) have been assigned/reassigned to the local Aberdeen, MD area near the course. 

As a course owner, you can make much more money bringing in the bulldozer than you can discounting green fees.

Capitalism wins again, just like in the Ian Andrew thread about "should" you build a course....

John Moore II

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 12:11:58 AM »
Chhip--not sure they would have needed to discount fees, but its certainly worth more as land.

Tom--Not to take away from Beechtree, but have you heard any recent word on Charlotte Golf Links. I heard mentioned the other day it may be nearing the end. Thanks.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 02:11:33 AM »
This really is a bummer.

The course review looks very very good.  What a shame!!

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/beechtree2.html

James Bennett

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 03:47:21 AM »
I have played two Tom Doak courses - St Andrew's Beach and Beechtree.  Kiss of death perhaps?  It seems my photo's will last much longer than these two fine courses.

James B

Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Rich Goodale

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2008, 07:04:14 AM »
I drove by Beechtree last week on the way from DC to Boston, and wish I had stopped by to have a look.  My guess is that this is just one of the first of the good courses on their way to NLE in the current socio-economic cycle.  In business terms, golf is very much an aging "industry."

Tom_Doak

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2008, 07:16:14 AM »
J. Kenneth:

We've known from the beginning that Charlotte Golf Links would probably have a limited life -- the developers of the course only leased the land from the landowner, and the term of the lease was (I believe) 25 years.  It was negotiated 17 years ago, because my son was a baby the first time I was down there, so they should have 7-8 years left.  After that, the way Charlotte is developing, I'm sure the land would be worth too much to renew as a golf course.  But, by the same token, I don't know if the landowner would want to buy out the lease to develop the property any earlier than that.

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2008, 07:41:05 AM »
This brings up an interesting thought.  How many courses on any list (Top 100 this or that, Best in State) actually went out of business in the last 25  years?  I can't recall any others.

A modern NLE.

Another is described below unfortunately John, and it is another Doak gem.

I have played two Tom Doak courses - St Andrew's Beach and Beechtree.  Kiss of death perhaps?  It seems my photo's will last much longer than these two fine courses.

James, given your track record, I'm keeping you away from Ballyneal, Barnbougle, and Kidnappers among others :)

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

rjsimper

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2008, 07:43:39 AM »
Has a date of closure been announced? Just the end of this season (Dec 7?)

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2008, 08:10:11 AM »
This really hurts.  Beechtree is my favorite publicly accessable course.  I love the Sahara hole, love #18 (much more than Bulle Rock's #18), and love the "feel" of the place.

This is actually the second NLE in 5 miles of Aberdeen.  If you recall, the 2nd course at Bulle Rock never saw the light of day, even though some holes were apparently built. 

How many McMansions does this country need?

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2008, 08:34:56 AM »
Dan: I don't think they have mansions in mind.  Us government workers don't make enough to get in that league.

BCrosby

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2008, 08:51:42 AM »
I actually find the closure odd.

In this housing market, it makes more economic sense to add to the housing stock than keep a golf course open? My uninformed guess is that this might be more about stopping the bleeding at the course and less about rushing in the D-8's for home construction. But that's just a guess.

Bob

Paul Perrella

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2008, 09:11:34 AM »
Put me on the list of people sorry to see Beechtree as a future NLE. I took a group of friends from upstate NY on a 5 day trip for my 50th birthday and we all thought Beechtree was extremely fun to play. I think that if I had put as much effort as Tom D. obviously puts into his courses I would feel like I had lost a friend.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2008, 10:38:55 AM »
Sorry to hear Tom.
Thank you for the update.

As a result I will be playing there in 2 weeks.

Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil & Tiger.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2008, 10:44:23 AM »
I'm with Bob - golf course and residential development would seem to compete for lowest and worst use in the current economy.  That said, if the course stays open through year end and construction of infrastructure takes a year or so the project could conceivably be well timed - though I can't fathom a bank be willing to provide development financing in the current environment absent abundant borrower equity.  In my opinion,  the bottom of the residential real estate market will remain elusive throughout 2008. 

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2008, 10:57:06 AM »
Fellas

This is not a macroeconomic deal it's a microeconomic one.

People with jobs are moving there and there's not enough housing.

Add in the brutal difficulty of zoning and permitting there and they will have a huge jump on the competition, assuming there's much of any. (THAT is the macro angle.)

By the time these things hit the market the credit crunch will have eased enough for the purchasers to mortgage.

David Stamm

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2008, 11:30:26 AM »
This is a shame, but I understand the economics. It's my understanding that Tallgrass isn't far behind.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2008, 12:10:33 PM »
Tom,

If or since you can't upset the current owner --- would you share what you like and didn't like about how the course turned out?

What did you want to do but couldn't - if anything?

In looking at the website and routing - some of the illustrations look like the illustrations of Texas Tech - is there any similarity?

Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil & Tiger.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2008, 12:45:40 PM »
Mike:

The only similarity between Beechtree and The Rawls Course is that Don Placek drew both of the maps you're looking at.  You can't get the artist's style out of the drawing ... Don being the artist in that case.  The golf courses are VERY different.

There were a lot of environmental restrictions on this property because of streams running through it and the proximity to Washington DC and the EPA headquarters.  I learned what "super silt fence" is.  We couldn't get as close to the creeks as I might have liked, but I never expected that we would.

In hindsight, playing the course yesterday, I looked at the wide fairways and the 6500-sf greens and wondered to myself if the story would be any different if we'd saved some maintenance dollars by making both smaller.  I doubt it would have made the difference, though.  I do think that the decision to build a big clubhouse was a bigger mistake financially, but it was Mr. Knott's money and he could afford to do it if he wanted.

Bob Crosby, I don't think there was much bleeding going on at the course.  As far as I could figure they were taking in $1.3 million in green fees every year and they didn't have any debt on the property ... it wasn't paying off the funds invested in construction, but it shouldn't have been operating at a loss with those numbers, should it?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back