News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Tim Nugent

Re: The Bad News about Beechtree
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2008, 04:41:56 PM »
Tom, my condolences.  What do you surmize the low rounds to? Since this was a minimalist course, the construction costs should have been low and you have mentioned that the CH might have been a shade on the high side.  Did they charge too much? Extrapolating your #'s suggest a $75 greens fee - fairly reasonable.  Were they relying on corporate golf outings? Just seems strange that a good public course in an area of average level public courses would struggle to get 20k rnds.  What does Bulle Rock get and how many rnds are they doing?
Also, just curious, doyou know if this place managed in-house or by a mgmt co.?
Coasting is a downhill process

Dan Chapman

« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2008, 11:31:08 AM »
I really loved the course, very fun to play.  I had played Bulle Rock a couple of months ago and didn't enjoy it as much as others seem to.  I caught it on a day when it was sopping wet so I know that didn't help.  It's really ashame that Beechtree has to go as it is a great experience.  I hope to get down there again before it closes for good.  You could definitely tell that the staff is pretty distraught about the news.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2008, 02:00:03 PM »
Tim:

The posted weekend green fee was $95 ... but with discounting in the spring and fall and weekday afternoons, the average green fee was more like $70 to $75.  That's one part of the equation that most pro formas forget, and it only makes people miss the revenue estimates by 25-30%.

As to why they only played 20,000 rounds, I suspect that the $95 green fee is too high for regular play for many golfers, and they didn't attract enough rounds from further away due to competition (both from Bulle Rock and from the many newer courses around the south/west side of Philadelphia).

Jim Franklin

« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2008, 03:06:45 PM »
I spoke to the owner yesterday and financially, selling the course was too good to be true. It is a deal he could not turn down and I don't think anyone here could either.  He was certainly upset selling, as he loved the course and thinks Mr Doak did a tremendous job (which he did), but when push came to shove...

I asked him about Bulle Rock and he says they will keep the one course, but already have homes going up by the proposed second course. So Bulle Rock should survive.

I am all for a GCA going away party at Beechtree. They will be open through Thanksgiving for play.
Mr Hurricane

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back