News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris_Blakely

Re: Best Golf Club in a completely Urban Setting
« Reply #75 on: August 05, 2009, 03:13:00 PM »
While I have not played the course, only viewed the pictures, I would think the Reverse Jans National would be a lock for this!!! ;D

Phil McDade

« Reply #76 on: August 05, 2009, 03:19:36 PM »
While I have not played the course, only viewed the pictures, I would think the Reverse Jans National would be a lock for this!!! ;D

Chris:

It goes without saying...

Kind of like that old joke about Playboy asking college students to vote for the nation's best party school, but exempting the University of Wisconsin from the ballot, because professionals shouldn't be part of the competition.

The Reverse Jans is less a golf course in an urban setting than an urban setting supplemented by a few greens, tees, and fairways.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #77 on: August 05, 2009, 03:23:48 PM »
Phil - that is an old joke.. they were saying about the alma mater of myself and Messrs. Benham, Spaulding and Pieracci prior to my arrival at the school in 1981.

Seriously.. that was exactly stated about THE UNIVERSITY OF SANTA CLARA (as it was known back then) in 1981.

Phil McDade

« Reply #78 on: August 05, 2009, 03:26:51 PM »
Tom:

That's why I called it an old joke...and used it with the university I can see out my back door (well, just about...). I assume it's pretty much applicable to any four-year campus with undergraduates...

Besides, back on point, doesn't your beloved Santa Teresa GC belong in this thread somewhere? Or did I miss it earlier?

Brad Swanson

« Reply #79 on: August 05, 2009, 03:34:24 PM »
Best I've played in this setting would be Denver Country Club.  Its an oasis in the middle of town. 

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #80 on: August 05, 2009, 03:39:24 PM »
Tom:

That's why I called it an old joke...and used it with the university I can see out my back door (well, just about...). I assume it's pretty much applicable to any four-year campus with undergraduates...

Besides, back on point, doesn't your beloved Santa Teresa GC belong in this thread somewhere? Or did I miss it earlier?

Got it!  It was just funny to me as it is told as a very serious, non-apocraphyal tale about my alma mater.

And no, my belove Santa Teresa does not belong in this thread.  It's neither great nor completely urban.

;D

Bart Bradley

« Reply #81 on: August 05, 2009, 04:10:07 PM »
Noone commented on my Durban post..so I thought I'd offer some proof...NOW this is an urban site!

George Freeman

« Reply #82 on: August 05, 2009, 04:11:05 PM »
I'll second the Old Course and Beverly in Chicago.

Franklin Hills in metro Detroit would also be on my list.  An awesome course stuck square the middle of the urban sprawl that is Southfield, MI...(techincally located in Franklin, MI).
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Robin Doodson

« Reply #83 on: August 05, 2009, 04:29:59 PM »
My vote goes for Royal Queensland in Brisbane. The gateway bridge actually goes over the golf course. you can't hear yourself think for the traffic.

Ben Sims

« Reply #84 on: August 05, 2009, 10:16:53 PM »
I'm tossing Peachtree Golf Club into this argument.  SFGC might be in there too. 

JWinick

« Reply #85 on: August 06, 2009, 12:01:40 AM »
What about Bali Hai in Las Vegas?  Adjacent to the airport, Mandalay Bay, and on the Strip, it is a solid tract in a loud setting.

Tim Bert

« Reply #86 on: August 06, 2009, 04:54:52 PM »
What about Bali Hai in Las Vegas?  Adjacent to the airport, Mandalay Bay, and on the Strip, it is a solid tract in a loud setting.

Love the par 3 that almost convinces you that you are in a tropical paradise... if only the big Texaco (or was it Shell) sign wasn't looming over the scene.  Kind of like the Citgo sign at Fenway of golf courses.

Jeff Spittel

« Reply #87 on: August 06, 2009, 05:38:07 PM »
I doubt it qualifies for a best design nomination, but my home club of BraeBurn in Houston (a redesigned Bredemus) is in a pretty crappy area. Westwood across highway 59, which was also originally designed by Bredemus, is adjacent to an a shopping center affectionately known as Sharpshooters Mall. 
Fare and be well now, let your life proceed by its own design.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #88 on: August 06, 2009, 11:20:29 PM »
If The Old Course is in an urban setting, I'm a donkey's saddle.  St. Andrews is a town, not a city, and does not qualify as an urban setting.

Triggs is a great nomination...we have nothing like it in Buffalo.

The best I've played is Carolina Golf Club in Charlotte.  Urban and dangerous.  Don't leave your clubs in your truck for even a second.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Doug Siebert

« Reply #89 on: August 07, 2009, 01:13:46 AM »
My vote goes for Royal Queensland in Brisbane. The gateway bridge actually goes over the golf course. you can't hear yourself think for the traffic.

Yikes!  How high is that bridge?  I can just see one of my mile high drives flying over it while I hold my breath hoping to not hear the sound of tires squealing and chain reaction collision replacing that of the traffic!  :o
My hovercraft is full of eels.

DMoriarty

« Reply #90 on: August 07, 2009, 02:00:00 AM »
How about Shoreditch in London . . .urban enough?

Or the Bay Area Urban Golf, here in Oakland

http://www.urbangolf.org/movies/ugmovie1.html
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 02:04:32 AM by DMoriarty »
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Carl Johnson

« Reply #91 on: August 07, 2009, 09:20:06 AM »
The best I've played is Carolina Golf Club in Charlotte.  Urban and dangerous.  Don't leave your clubs in your truck for even a second.

Agreed, and I'm the guy who turned his back for only slightly more than a second and had his clubs stolen from the bed of his pick-up.

hick

Re: Best Golf Club in a completely Urban Setting New
« Reply #92 on: August 07, 2009, 03:20:36 PM »
Thorny Lea in Brockton, Massachusetts is very urban.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 10:31:24 PM by Mat Hickey »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back