News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Foley

Interesting greens at a reasonable price
« on: June 21, 2008, 09:33:52 PM »
Name the best / most interestigly contoured greens on a public course with green fees less than $75?

I,ll start with Morgan hill.
Integrity in the moment of choice

Bart Bradley

Re: Interesting greens at a reasonable price
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 09:35:09 PM »
Pinion Hills...I think this has the best greens/greens fee ratio in the country.

Bart

Adam Clayman

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 09:42:20 PM »
Bart mentions an excellent choice. Others off the top of my head would be Black Mesa and Wild Horse.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

DMoriarty

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 09:47:48 PM »
Bart,  I agree that Pinion Hills is a tremendous deal, and when I have been there (years ago) it was in great shape, but do you really find the greens to be interesting?   As I recall they are almost all made of of three distinct terraces at different levels, many "Mickey Mouse" greens in shape at least.   Just my opinion.

And for my homer opinion . . .   I cannot think if many courses with more interesting greens than Rustic Canyon at any price, so I think it would have to be on  this list.

Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Bart Bradley

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 09:49:57 PM »
Bart,  I agree that Pinion Hills is a tremendous deal, and when I have been there (years ago) it was in great shape, but do you really find the greens to be interesting?   As I recall they are almost all made of of three distinct terraces at different levels, many "Mickey Mouse" greens in shape at least.   Just my opinion.

And for my homer opinion . . .   I cannot think if many courses with more interesting greens than Rustic Canyon at any price, so I think it would have to be on  this list.

David:

Pinion's greens are far from my favorite but the category is quite limiting...public and less that $75 ...it was the first thing that came to my mind as greens on a cheap public course that were different and with lots of contour.  I would be open to changing my mind.

Bart

Adam Clayman

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 09:52:13 PM »
David, I'll throw in a distinction. Pinon's greens are very interesting on approach. Putting on them less so. Rustic is a great call and are very interesting to putt.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 09:53:37 PM »
I always thought Apache Stronghold had some excellent greens.

Sand Creek Station (Brauer) has some very cool greens for less than $40l

Michael Moore

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 09:55:53 PM »
Walter Travis's Cape Arundel Golf Club in Kennebunkport, Maine.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

John_Conley

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 09:58:46 PM »
Name the best / most interestigly contoured greens on a public course with green fees less than $75?

John, North Palm Beach was recently renovated by resident Jack Nicklaus and the greens are pretty cool.  It is less than $75 in the summer and probably more than that in-season for a non-resident.

Certainly a nominee for this topic.

John_Conley

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2008, 09:59:43 PM »
Indian Creek is my nominee for the DFW Metroplex.

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2008, 10:01:35 PM »

John,

Indian Creek definitely had some killer greens.

John Moore II

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2008, 10:01:59 PM »

John, North Palm Beach was recently renovated by resident Jack Nicklaus and the greens are pretty cool.  It is less than $75 in the summer and probably more than that in-season for a non-resident.

Certainly a nominee for this topic.

I have been told by people that the greens at NPB are out of scale, as in the contours are a bit extreme for the size of the greens. I was never able to play it while in Florida though.

I would say the best I have played within the contraints is Tanglewood Park (Championship), course hosted a PGA Championship in 1974 and the greens were very unique, none seemed to be the same.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2008, 11:06:59 PM »
This one is easy.....Indian Canyon in Spokane, WA.

Thats the main reason you play the course where putts seemingly break uphill and on some 10 footers you are just praying to 2 putt.

Eric Pevoto

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2008, 11:21:03 PM »
I'll add Lederach.  Galen Hall would be a second.  Well below $75
There's no home cooking these days.  It's all microwave.Bill Kittleman

Golf doesn't work for those that don't know what golf can be...Mike Nuzzo

Matthew Delahunty

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2008, 11:41:05 PM »
Machrihanish

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2008, 12:00:12 AM »
Are there any cheap public Maxwells in TX/OK/KS?

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2008, 12:00:38 AM »
I always thought Apache Stronghold had some excellent greens.

Sand Creek Station (Brauer) has some very cool greens for less than $40l

Apaches are good but not always..... :-\...never? in good shape. Rustic is a good choice. Papago here in AZ has some pretty wild greens, and if you can find any Stantz course for a resonable price, they are certainly unique. 

RJ_Daley

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2008, 12:10:37 AM »
Of course I'd put up Wild Horse, and also Rustic Canyon.  Lawsonia fits the affordble bill with great greens also.  Don't forget Angels Crossing for wild and exciting greens in affordable territory.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2008, 05:37:01 AM »
I'll add Lederach.  Galen Hall would be a second.  Well below $75

I'll second Lederach, which can be played for 25 bucks before 8 AM M-F through the rest of the month.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

James Boon

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2008, 06:22:40 AM »
John,

I'm sure you are looking for courses in America, but thought I'd mention one over here in England. I played Rutland Water yesterday and for £20 played on some of the most interesting greens I'd seen for a while. I played with the designer, and he has already posted a series of photos on a previous thread...

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,31427.0.html

One of the main reasons for the undulations on the greens was that they didn't have the budget to provide a full drainage system under the greens and so they are designed to naturally shed water. I'm sure Ben can comment further...

Cheers

James

2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Ben Stephens

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2008, 08:01:24 AM »
James, thanks for the mention about Rutland Water's greens!! I must admit that James was the victor in our match!

Most members at Manton (which Rutland Water is better known as locally) say that the course is harder when it is dry! This is probably because it is harder to hold the ball on the greens and there is more break at higher speed. James and I are due to have a rematch in the near future when it is definitely dry after playing James's home course.

We both played in atrocious wet conditions off the whites (playing around 6700 yards) yesterday. I am pleased to say there was not one area of standing water on a single green and they were in great nick especially the newer 21 month old greens on the back nine (in play just over a year!)

The greens subsoil structure is very simple due to budgetary reasons - the outlined green area subsoil was cleared out and then a basic layer of good quality topsoil was added + used to shape the greens and then 6 to 8 inches of fine rootzone (mixture of sand and very fine top soil) was added on top of the topsoil layer. The slopes of most greens were influenced by the existing surrounding landscape so that the flow of subsoil water will continue to flow in the same direction over an large area. This approach has also enabled me to create large interesting greens on a low budget using a mixture of fescue and bent grass variety.

Ben

Phil McDade

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2008, 08:27:50 AM »
Lawsonia, for sure.....(it maxes out its green fee at $85 w/ cart at weekend play in high season, but you can walk it mid-week for $55 and walk it for as little as $28 in the off-season -- maybe the best bargain in golf.)

Langford/Moreau's Spring Valley, near Salem WI  on the Wisconsin/Illinois border, has terrific greens, kept at a very good pace, at a max. (all-day!) green fee under $25.

C. Squier

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2008, 10:00:54 AM »
Add Kankakee Country Club to your list of Langford/Moreaus, Phil.  Great greens and probably $30 at most. 

Tom_Doak

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2008, 10:11:17 AM »
High Pointe and Quail Crossing would both challenge most of the courses listed to date.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2008, 10:16:13 AM »
Hard to beat the Eden Course at St. Andrews, which is about $75 at current exchange rates.  Stateside, I like Pajaro Dunes for that price.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back