News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Re: Top 10 Golf Course Architecture Books
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2008, 07:55:04 PM »
Peter Wagner, Bill
The second book by George C Nash is General Forcursue & Co. The third book is Whelk's Postbag. Never knew about them until I heard McB chucking in the R&A. They are not really GCA.

The Augusta book is by Byrdy, not Birdy.

That's "chuckling," not "chucking."

John_Conley

These are a few of my favorite things
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2008, 08:35:37 PM »
Patrick:

Dr. Klein's book on Ross is excellent.  For a lighter read, consider "Rough Meditations" by the same author.

"Driving the Green" by Strawn is in my library but I've only skimmed it.  He writes about the project to build a South Florida course (Ironhorse?).  Not as much about design as the modern field of golf architecture.

I like books about golf courses.  If those are included in what you are looking for I'll add "Golf Courses of the MGA" - a way for me to live vicariously as one of the fortunate that gets to play all the New York area private clubs.

"Missing Links" by Wexler is awesome.  Love it.

Many of the books about architecture are less interesting to me than the pictures.  Not that you've ever done it Ave Maria boy, but imagine someone reading the interview about turn-ons and turn-offs before looking at the centerfold!   :D

:o Did he just say that?  :o

This website is named for Ran's favorite golf book as a child, one I too pored over forever.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2008, 09:09:49 PM »
Bill,
I added l to your chucking. I thought about the map, Also the many member suggestions about certain hole redesigns.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2008, 10:21:46 PM »
You have seen it in some of the recommendations, but I have to emphasize The Spirit of St. Andrews, by Alistair MacKenzie. This book will help you understand why the greatest golf courses challenge the expert golfer while at the same time allowing the average golfers to enjoy their rounds. It helps you understand why architecture went wrong in the middle of the twentieth century. It will help you understand why silliness such as seen at Johnny Miller's Thanksgiving point just doesn't cut it.

Or, you can just study the 16th at Cypress Point, or the 10th at Riviera in detail and make your own discoveries, much like Hogan found it in the dirt. ;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Patrick Hodgdon

Re: These are a few of my favorite things
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2008, 10:46:13 PM »
Thank you for all your responses everyone. Once I get this wedding thing taking care of at the end of the month my first priority will be looking to acquire everyone's recommendations here.

Many of the books about architecture are less interesting to me than the pictures.  Not that you've ever done it Ave Maria boy, but imagine someone reading the interview about turn-ons and turn-offs before looking at the centerfold!   :D

:o Did he just say that?  :o

I'm sure thats one of your research responsibilities for your consulting services right John.  ;)

And did you forget where and with who I spent my summers growing up???  ::)

« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 11:00:27 PM by Patrick Hodgdon »
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Bill_McBride

Re: These are a few of my favorite things
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2008, 11:15:28 PM »

"Driving the Green" by Strawn is in my library but I've only skimmed it.  He writes about the project to build a South Florida course (Ironhorse?).  Not as much about design as the modern field of golf architecture.

It's even more specifically about golf course construction after the arduous permitting process is completed.  After reading it, I'm not sure why anyone would try to build a golf course in that area!

Tony Ristola

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2008, 01:08:50 AM »
Anatomy of a Golf Course is a good book, but a regurgitation of much of what had been previously written, so I wouldn't put it on any Top 10 lists.
I'd put Tom's Confidential Guide up there; right near the top. I'd put The Spirit of St. Andrews at the top, and Tom's book right behind it. It's a landmark book because it was an honest shot from the woods at a time we'd been fed years and years of marketing styled pablum.

Driving the Green is a tremendous book. If read with a critical eye, John Strawn reveals a lot of the ills of modern architecture. I was shocked to see Art Hills have it on his website some years ago. In the Top 10? If you want to learn about the potential challenges and pitfalls... then certainly.

Master's of the Links is excellent too. A superb collection of old and contemporary articles, and Geoff's intro's to each sets the tone. The contemporary articles are as good as the oldies, with Brad Klein and Gil Hanse submitting real winners.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 01:28:33 AM by Tony Ristola »

Doug Sobieski

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2008, 09:48:10 AM »
Here is what Ben Crenshaw thinks are the most important.....

1. Golf Architecture in America
2. The Links
3. The Architectural Side of Golf

How do I remember this? In 1993, after he won at Bay Hill and about two hours after the finish, he and I were by ourselves in the locker room. I was 25 at the time, and really starting to develop my interest in architecture. I got to spend about 45 minutes with just the two of us talking about great golf courses. I asked him to write down the most important books that I needed as I was starting to develop my library. I still have that piece of paper in his handwriting tucked into my copy of Golf Architecture in America. That was one of the coolest encounters that helped shape my interest in the subject.

David Stamm

« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2008, 10:06:37 AM »
Here is what Ben Crenshaw thinks are the most important.....

1. Golf Architecture in America
2. The Links
3. The Architectural Side of Golf

How do I remember this? In 1993, after he won at Bay Hill and about two hours after the finish, he and I were by ourselves in the locker room. I was 25 at the time, and really starting to develop my interest in architecture. I got to spend about 45 minutes with just the two of us talking about great golf courses. I asked him to write down the most important books that I needed as I was starting to develop my library. I still have that piece of paper in his handwriting tucked into my copy of Golf Architecture in America. That was one of the coolest encounters that helped shape my interest in the subject.

Great story, Doug! Yet another reason why he's such a class act.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2008, 11:41:32 AM »
Patrick — The lists given are very good. While not fully architectural related, I recommend The Mystery of Golf by Haultain. You can almost find copies on www.alibris.com, which — by the way — is an excellent source for all these titles.

Mark Fine and I appreciate the mention of our book. Obviously there are plenty of choices, the good news being that you are forming a collection.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

John_Conley

« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2008, 04:34:45 PM »

Driving the Green is a tremendous book. If read with a critical eye, John Strawn reveals a lot of the ills of modern architecture. I was shocked to see Art Hills have it on his website some years ago. In the Top 10? If you want to learn about the potential challenges and pitfalls... then certainly.

Tony, that's why I mention it.  Anyone who plays a course and spouts off about how it doesn't have this or I would have done that is ignoring the realities of the field.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2008, 04:36:19 PM »
and now Volume Four as well  !

and I second Matt's recommendations

Volume Four is available on Amazon for $32.97.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back