News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carl Nichols

Re: Your home course......
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2008, 10:44:59 PM »
My home course is a very solid test of golf, and the members don't get bored playing it regularly, but it's definitely not the course I would've picked if the only criterion had been design--there were many other considerations involved.  They keep it in great shape, I like all of the guys who play regularly, and they have a terrific pace of play policy, so I'm very happy.

David Stamm

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2008, 12:00:25 AM »
My home course was Torrey Pines for quite a while and had played both courses together about 100 times. Since then, my home course would probably be San Clemente. It's fun, decently maintained (although the greens are slow) and a good value. It's by no means a strategic gem, but I enjoy it. I play Coronado every now and then as well as Marine Memorial.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Adam Clayman

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2008, 12:16:20 AM »
Lou, I thought the crux was playing them frequently.
 I agree that all courses can provide strategic options. However, I feel those with more shot options, are the better designs.

I took the head coach of our local H.S. team to Ballyneal. He was once a juinor champion. I waxed his ass str8 up.( and I suck) He just could not adapt to the nature of the that style of golf. In his case the short grass was truly a hazard. He was so out of his element he kept making bad decision after bad decision.

Also agree that even the worst design has something of merit. (snide comment omitted)
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Ed Oden

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2008, 12:25:02 AM »
I am fortunate enough to belong to 2 clubs.  One is an old Ross design which has suffered from many of the same problems noted by Ken at his club:  shrunken greens and fairways, lost bunkers, too many trees.  The net result has been an almost total loss of strategy.  We are nearing completion of a restoration which hopefully will be reclaim the strategic values of the original architecture.  My second club is a newer Fazio design.  Contrary to what most on this site might expect, it is loaded with strategic architecture.  Club selection, positioning for the best angles to attack the greens and, in particular, specific pin placements are critical.  I am still discovering its nuances and while I expect I will eventually bettter understand her ways I also doubt I will ever have her completely figured out.  Isn't that great? 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back