News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kirk

Ballyneal June 29-30
« on: June 05, 2008, 01:11:05 AM »
I have a trip planned to Ballyneal, during which I should be able to accommodate up to 4 more players on Sunday, June 29th, and Monday, June 30th.

Let me know if you would like to play, either on this thread or in an instant message.  I am on the road tomorrow, so I may not respond immediately.

Jim Nugent

Re: Ballyneal June 29-30
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 01:55:32 AM »
Has Ballyneal 'matured' now?  Does the course play the way Tom envisioned and designed it, or will that take more time? 

In general, how long does it take courses to grow to adulthood?  I assume there is no hard and fast rule, but are there some general guidelines? 

Adam Clayman

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 09:44:39 AM »
Jim, I assume you mean the turf maturing? It has.
 The drainage there is remarkable and if the spring rains end soon, John's dates should be perfect to see some humming. If anyone goes, the first clue will be a brown patina on the high spots within the first fairway. Oh yeah, and when your perfectly struck aerial approach bounds behind the rear of the first green. :o

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

John Kirk

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 09:51:22 AM »
Bump.

Jim,

To the best of my knowledge, it should take about five years for the fescue/bent/bluegrass blend to fully mature.  The grass is in its fourth year.  By last fall, the grass had filled in nicely, and course playing conditions were excellent.  Each spring, it seems to take a few weeks before the surfaces dry out and speed up a bit.  The course is always dry and firm; the speed of the surfaces is largely a function of recent rainfall.  Weather conditions will dictate whether the fescue will go dormant (brown) in the summertime.

I'll know more by the end of the weekend.

Jim Colton

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 10:12:23 AM »
John,

I'm definitely interested.  Sending a PM now.

Jim

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 10:53:32 AM »
JK - check your PM please...
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Daryl David

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 11:36:03 AM »
Just got back a few days ago.

The course is in superb shape.  Fairways are filled in and rolling at decent speeds.  By the end of June, I would suspect they will be very firm and fast.  The greens are now at a speed that make the contours a ton of fun and they are already firm enough that it is hard to find a ball mark. 

After a winter of playing desert aerial golf, it took me sometime to adjust to playing the ground game in front of the greens.  I had forgotten how difficult it can be at Ballyneal to recover from behind the green after making the mistake of flying it to the pin.  Once burned a few times and adjusting, I was in bump and run nirvana! 

Richard Choi

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 01:02:02 PM »
Man, I am JEALOUS!!!

If the airplane ticket costs weren't so sky high, I would fly down to be part of this... :(

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 02:36:21 PM »
I'll be there myself on 6/24 and 6/25, thanks to another generous invitation. :D

I look forward to comparing notes with any and all who make it there with John.

My mother keeps razzing me with quips about tornados ruining my trip... ::)
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Daryl David

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 03:38:49 PM »
Man, I am JEALOUS!!!

If the airplane ticket costs weren't so sky high, I would fly down to be part of this... :(

Come on Richard!  Hop in the car and drive.  Assuming you are in the Seattle area, it's only 1400 miles each way.  With lots of No Doz you could make it in 20 hours.  Total cost for gas assuming 25 MPG and $4.25 per gallon makes it $476.

Of course you could fly Southwest to Denver and catch a ride with the other guys over to Holyoke.  That ticket is $425. 

Decisions, decisions...... ;D

Richard Choi

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 03:46:32 PM »
Don't temp me David,

I have actually driven from Salt Lake City to Seattle non-stop (just under 10 hours), so Colorado would not be out of the question... :)

Kalen Braley

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 03:55:32 PM »
Don't temp me David,

I have actually driven from Salt Lake City to Seattle non-stop (just under 10 hours), so Colorado would not be out of the question... :)

You must have been hauling some major you-know-what Richard.  I've done the drive from SLC to Spokane several times cruising at a good clip and my best time was just under 9.5 hours.  Google Maps puts the SLC to Seattle trip at 120 miles longer.  :o  :o

Joe Bentham

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2008, 04:08:42 PM »
Don't temp me David,

What do you drive?  A spaceship?

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2008, 04:12:30 PM »

10 hours!?!?!  Wow, you drive fast!  It took about 9 to 10 hours for us to get from SLC to Lewiston, ID.  Its another 4 from there.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2008, 04:36:05 PM »
Richard,

Going from SLC to Seattle, you "gain" an hour so to speak when you roll back the clock going to PST.  So if you left at noon and got in at 10:00, thats still an 11 hour drive.   ;D

I know I know, Just making sure you remembered.   ;)

Richard Choi

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2008, 05:28:33 PM »
I did just under 10 hours, honest. I was picking up a car that I bought on-line and I wanted to see what the baby could do. :)

There were long stretches of straight desert roads where I had the gas pedal floored. Let's just say I know how my car handles at 100 mph...

John Kirk

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2008, 08:14:17 PM »
Thanks for all the quick responses.  I have been traveling today.  After dinner i will begin to respond to my messages, while watching the basketball game.  I'm pretty sure everyone who has responded thus far can be accommodated.

From this point forward however, the offer is closed until I account for those who have responded.  Thanks.

John

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back