News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Name that hole X 3
« on: May 24, 2008, 09:27:38 AM »
Just a bit of Memorial Day weekend fun...

I'm hoping these 3 holes aren't too easy, and I'm pretty sure at least one of them will fool a couple of people on here.  Without further ado, name the course where each of these 3 holes exist on.  ;D

Mystery Hole 1

Mystery Hole 2

Mystery Hole 3

« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 09:29:22 AM by Kalen Braley »

David Scaletti

Re: Name that hole X 3
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 09:42:46 AM »
Kalen,

The first image I guess I should know, it's the 7th at that course but I won't spoil the fun. Although I'm sure plenty will know it. Not sure of any of the others.

Jordan Caron

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 09:46:49 AM »
Mystery hole #2
19th hole at Bear Mountain in Victoria.  If anyone wants a good laugh, check out the 2nd course being built there. 

http://www.bearmountain.ca/Home/Play/ValleyCourse2008.aspx
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 10:19:05 AM by Jordan Caron »

Phil McDade

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 09:48:28 AM »
Kalen:

Is the third one Whistling Straits? Maybe the opening hole as it moves out to Lake Michigan?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 10:01:48 AM by Phil McDade »

Allan Long

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 09:50:01 AM »
OK Kalen, I'll bite... How about letting me know if I'm on the right track.

#1 - On an island?
#2 - In the western part of an East Coast state?
#3 - On the West coast by an architect who is frequently discussed here?
I don't know how I would ever have been able to look into the past with any degree of pleasure or enjoy the present with any degree of contentment if it had not been for the extraordinary influence the game of golf has had upon my welfare.
--C.B. Macdonald

Pat Howard

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 10:15:35 AM »
#2 looks a lot like the 17th at Coal Creek (Newcastle) in Bellevue, WA. But the hole pictured appears to be a par 3 and Coal Creek's hole is a par 5. Very similar green surroundings and view...

Matthew Rose

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 11:30:36 AM »

I think the last one is Whistling Straits #6.

American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Jim Johnson

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2008, 11:45:48 AM »
I agree with Jordan ... mystery #2 is the 19th hole at Bear Mountain, Victoria B.C.

I think mystery #3 is hole #14 at Whistling Straits.

No clue on mystery hole #1.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2008, 12:53:58 PM »
#1 - Nirwana Bali. Beaut of a course which I've walked but sadly not played.
Cave Nil Vino

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2008, 01:09:48 PM »
Mystery hole #2
19th hole at Bear Mountain in Victoria.  If anyone wants a good laugh, check out the 2nd course being built there. 

http://www.bearmountain.ca/Home/Play/ValleyCourse2008.aspx

I don't get it, what's funny?

RJ_Daley

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2008, 01:33:20 PM »
While #3 looks like the #1 hole at Whistling, I don't think it has the front bunker as pictured.  Unless it has been put in since last I was there... I'll guess #3 is Kingsbarns.

#1 I'll guess something in Hawaii, and 2 something in Idaho...  ::)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jordan Caron

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2008, 02:20:11 PM »

The 2nd course.  They call it the Valley Course and judging by the 3D fly overs and talking with the superintedent, it's more severe and undulated then the first course and they call that the "Mountain Course".   The 4th hole looks like a ski run and the approach is to a green that slopes away from you....

Everyone thinks the first course is virutally unplayable (as do I) so I wonder what they will think of the 2nd course?  Besides that, alot of the bunkers on the 2nd course are in very odd places. 

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2008, 02:35:42 PM »

The 2nd course.  They call it the Valley Course and judging by the 3D fly overs and talking with the superintedent, it's more severe and undulated then the first course and they call that the "Mountain Course".   The 4th hole looks like a ski run and the approach is to a green that slopes away from you....

Everyone thinks the first course is virutally unplayable (as do I) so I wonder what they will think of the 2nd course?  Besides that, alot of the bunkers on the 2nd course are in very odd places. 

I would agree with the assessment of the 1st course, I played it the 1st year it was open, and my memory is way too many blind shots off the tee and there was always a double or triple bogey luring on a wayward shot.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Kalen Braley

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2008, 04:46:07 PM »
Hey All,

First two courses I figured someone would nail them and it so.

Mystery hole #1 = Nirwana Bali
Mystery hole #2 = Bear mountain

Mystery hole #3 appears to have stumped many of you as it did me when I first saw it.  It looks a lot like Whistling Straits but indeed it is not.  Its a tough one but we'll hold out a little longer and see if anyone can get it.

Kalen

Kalen Braley

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2008, 04:47:54 PM »
Some more hints...

Allan, sorry Mystery hole #3 is not a West Coast course.

RJ is getting warmer and has at least guessed the right continent.   ;D

RJ_Daley

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2008, 06:21:38 PM »
Is it the Castle Stuart that Gil Hanse is doing?  (#3)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Phil McDade

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2008, 06:23:22 PM »
OK. Kalen, I'm going to guess Machrihanish Dunes, then immediately rule it out. The green tint in your photo is all wrong for the lighter and wispier nature of the grasses in and around the Machrihanish area.

Jim Johnson

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2008, 07:11:37 PM »
Wow, I really thought that mystery hole #3 was the 14th at Whistling Straits...

Mystery hole #3:

Whistling Straits #14:

Uncanny. The tees for the next hole are similar, the trees in the background are similar, the smaller bunker in front of the green is similar, the sand in the middle of the photos looks similar, the contours of the greens look similar, the ocean's the same blue  ;D ... about the only thing not similar is the additional sand to the right-front of the green.

Amazing.

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2008, 07:25:38 PM »

Jason C.,

I gather someone from the Nicklaus group is doing the new course at Bear Mountain. Do you know who? Is Jack involved?

Do you know if the Norman course in that part of the world, ie. The Cliffs at Maple Bay, is actually proceeding?

Bob J

John Kirk

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2008, 08:11:33 PM »
Wow, I really thought that mystery hole #3 was the 14th at Whistling Straits...

Mystery hole #3:

Whistling Straits #14:

Uncanny. The tees for the next hole are similar, the trees in the background are similar, the smaller bunker in front of the green is similar, the sand in the middle of the photos looks similar, the contours of the greens look similar, the ocean's the same blue  ;D ... about the only thing not similar is the additional sand to the right-front of the green.

Amazing.

Great post, JJohnson.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2008, 08:14:55 PM »
I assume this is really a 'before and after' of #14 WS. Humorous!

Doug

Kalen Braley

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2008, 08:33:53 PM »
JJ,

You make some really good comparisons on that one.  I pulled the pic off the website for the course, so it possible the course is being dishonest and posting a pic from Whistling Straits.

However, if they really are in fact two different courses, I will give another big clue.  Both courses designers come from the same family.  So once again perhaps its a copy and the current course is being fraudlent by posting this photo on thier website.

Tim Bert

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2008, 09:19:19 PM »
I think most of that sand front-right is actually there.  Those photos are from two different angles.  The small pot bunker is the same.  You can see how far toward the back of the green the other bunkers are shown and in the first photo you can see what butts up against the right side of the back half of the green.

I think those are the same hole.

Jordan Caron

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2008, 10:07:02 PM »

Jason C.,

I gather someone from the Nicklaus group is doing the new course at Bear Mountain. Do you know who? Is Jack involved?

Do you know if the Norman course in that part of the world, ie. The Cliffs at Maple Bay, is actually proceeding?

Bob J

It's Jordan Bob :)

Talking with the Super and a Assistant Pro up there, Steve Nicklaus is/was the designer.  To me, it looks like not much time was spent on the course and I gather it was thrown together just so they could continue to market the Nicklaus golf to sell more housing.  Len Barrie the owner has down very well for himself and he has the Nicklaus name and a great view to thank for it because the golf course HAS to be losing loads of money.

As for Maple Bay, it's stalled right now.  The developer has run into financial problems as he was expecting to sell property and then flip it into construction of the course .  A friend in the industry took a helicopter ride over the area where Maple Bay is located and he didn't see much green!  Every article I've read the last few years has talked about Maple Bay opening "later this summer" and I have been reading these articles for 3 years!  A fellow co-worker knows the developer and I am trying to arrange a tour sometime this summer to see it as I hear the land is phenomenal.

The Island eventually turn into a golf destination as there are so many different geographic regions all over this huge island.  Gil Hanse, Rod Whitmen and Gary Browning have planned designs in the mid island so i'm excited although it will just take sometime.

Sorry to hi-jack your thread Kalen. 

« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 10:09:08 PM by Jordan Caron »

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2008, 10:07:26 PM »
Kalen,
gobble, gobble gobble !

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back