News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Huckaby

Re: Golf in Utah?
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2008, 06:39:38 PM »
Over a decade ago my golfnut friends and I used to make annual trips to Mesquite/St. George.  I played all the courses that existed back then that have been mentioned.. one that hasn't been mentioned is Green Springs GC - very good course with some crazy-hard holes but a lot of scenic beauty also.  In any case at least back then the whole area was a large fantastic bang for the buck.  I gather much of that is gone now... but still, there are a lot of great courses in the area.  At least back then it was anything but a tourist trap.

Just an aside - for those with kids of a certain age, well... major portions of High School Musical II were filmed at Entrada at Snow Canyon.  I believe I impressed and then embarassed my 13 year old daughter by figuring out the course pictured while we were watching the TV-movie... and then having my "guess" confimed in the credits.

;)

Jay Flemma

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2008, 06:41:44 PM »
Yeah Fuzzy Fezler worked on sand hollow, so it should have some great strategies.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2008, 06:54:18 PM »
Tom,

Its true, many of the featured courses are now pretty pricey in Southern Utah with triple digit green fees. 

Oddly enough Northern Utah is the place to go to get bang for your buck.  Outside of Thanksgiving Point, every course here can be played for under $50....most of those for under $35.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2008, 07:23:43 PM »
Golfweek ranks these as the best courses you can play (non-private).
1. Thanksgiving Point
2. Coral Canyon
3. Soldier Hollow (Gold) in Midway. Any comments on this course?
4. Hideout
5. Sunbrook (Pointe/Woodbridge)

mike_beene

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2008, 09:34:35 PM »
Kalen,I was actually wondering if the Great Salt Lake was lower.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2008, 10:12:04 PM »
Pete,

I'll have to go play Soldier Hollow....I've seen Coral Canyon and played The Hideout and TP so the list seems reasonable.

Mike,

It depends how far back you go in time.  At one point the entire Salt Lake valley was under water in an ancient lake called Lake Bonneville.  I'm not sure how the current lake levels stack up but we did have a good winter so I'm sure when it melts the lake level will increase.

Kalen

John Moore II

« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2008, 10:26:04 PM »
Kalen--Is Thanksgiving Point a great design and architectural golf course, or just a nice course that is fun to play and well maintained, but maybe a bit lacking in total design quality?? Thanks.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2008, 10:34:28 PM »
JK,

Here is the course review I did on the course a year ago.

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,28224.0.html

You will notice everything is brown due to being dormant from winter.  The course is now green and it is maintained pretty well.  The course is fun to play and also has a lot of strategy on many of its holes.

I can say I think its Johnny Millers best course, and its worth a play if one makes it to the SLC area.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back