News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

Where to play in or near Nottingham
« on: May 21, 2008, 01:55:12 PM »
I have a friend who is a pretty good player who will be there for a couple of weeks.  I have suggested a couple of trips to Ganton and Woodhall Spa, but those probably involve a whole day.  She plays out of a great club in Arizona if that will help on getting on courses.

Mark_Rowlinson

Re: Where to play in or near Nottingham
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 02:13:27 PM »
Notts (at Kirby-in-Ashfield) is a great course, a must play.
Sherwood Forest (at Mansfield) is a strong Colt course and a friendly club.
Coxmoor (at Sutton in Ashfield) is quite heathy and an engaging course.
Beeston Fields is only just outside the city to the west.
I believe that Nottingham City is well presnted - it's a public course a few miles north of the city centre.
Radcliffe-on-Trent used to be popular with BBC Cricket commentators when they had a Sunday off during a Nottingham test match.
Rushcliffe is well-reputed, but I don't know it personally.
I have a feeling that Lee Westwood started his golf career at Worksop - nice course.

Hope this is some help.

Tim Pitner

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 02:13:50 PM »
I'm just a caveman who's never played the course, but I would think Notts (Hollinwell) would fit the bill.  

Sean_A

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 06:13:06 PM »
Whittington Heath & Beau Desert (not far from Birmingham) are easily doable from Nottingham as well, but for ease and quality, Notts is the chap.  There is also Lindrick near Worksop, which is a short drive north from Nottingham. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

John_Conley

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 06:49:52 PM »
I'm just a caveman who's never played the course, but I would think Notts (Hollinwell) would fit the bill.  

I have played it and definitely recommend.

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 03:52:40 AM »
I would endorse the recommendations to play Notts GC (Hollinwell).  There's been a couple of threads on here about it and Ran's course profile is in the courses by country section.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

James Boon

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 08:54:08 AM »
Notts (Hollinwell) is an absolute must play and if in the area for a while, probably worth a couple of days golf at the least.

As already suggested, also to the north of Nottingham are Sherwood Forest, Coxmoor and Lindrick.

Woodhall Spa is well worth a trip, but as for Ganton, its about 2 and a half hours away and if willing to travel that far your friend could just as easily play some of the London sandbelt courses (Sunningdale, Wentworth etc) or a few links courses (Brancaster, Hunstanton) which are probably just as far away.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 09:17:05 AM by James Boon »
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Ben Stephens

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 09:07:03 AM »
Notts (Hollinwell) is definitely a must play - I played there 3 weeks ago during 'maintenance week' - I am sure the condition of the course would have vastly improved since then.

Lindrick is one of my favourites - its a quirky course due to hold local Open qualifying event soon.

There is also ('Royal') Wollaton Park.

There are lots of other golf courses within 1 to 2 hrs driving distance from Nottingham that is worth going to such as:

Leicester/Loughborough - Longcliffe and Charnwood Forest (a bunkerless nine holer)

Leeds - Moortown and Alwoodley

Derby/Peak District - Cavendish + James Boon's home course - Horsley Lodge.

Oakham/Rutland - Luffenham Heath and Rutland Water (my home course).

Birmingham - Forest of Arden and Little Aston.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 04:01:18 AM »
Lots of good suggestions here but Notts is unmissable if your friend is in Nottingham.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2008, 02:53:57 PM »
Yep, Notts or Lindrick

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back