News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Bert

Slightly OT - Alcatraz Influence at Pacific Grove??
« on: May 15, 2008, 11:04:56 PM »
My wife and I enjoyed a few days in San Francisco leading up to KP this year.  It was my first time in the city and my wife's first since she was very young.  We took the early bird ship over to Alcatraz and spent a morning there.  I thought it was a great use of a few hours time.  The views on the boat of the bay, the bridge, and the city are spectacular.  The audio tour is a good basic introduction.  Walking around and exploring the island on your own was the highlight for me.  It was interesting to me how few visitors actually took the walk through the recreation yard down the steps to the back side of the island where the views are as good as they get.

Anyway, back on track.  I snapped a few photos of the cells while I was taking the tour (not sure why I feel compelled to snap photos of everything instead of just limiting myself to great photos, but sometimes it pays off.)

Fast forward a few days.  I was enjoying a match that was slowly drifting out-of-hand.  Shivas and I had a stranglehold on our Pacific Grove match through 9 holes.  Then Shivas decided to replicate my game, which is never advisable.  7 holes later, we found ourselves in trouble against Mayhugh and Wilson.  The writing was on the wall; it was only a matter of time.  It was there, on our way to the 17th tee, where I found this inspired recreation of an Alcatraz cell on one of the best muni nines in the country.

For those that have had the opportunity to visit both, what do you think?  How would you split 10 restroom breaks between these two beauties?

Matt Varney

Re: Slightly OT - Alcatraz Influence at Pacific Grove??
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 11:18:13 PM »
Tim,

I have been to both places back in the Fall 2004 to visit SFGC, Cypress, Harding Park and play Pebble Beach.  No comparison I will take the bathroom at Pacific Gorve a much better setting with nice golf holes all around plus the ocean instead of rock island in the bay behind bars.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 11:27:31 PM »
Just a little TMI. Back many years ago they caught 26 men oral copulating in that little cell in PG. The kicker...one of them was a local minister.

It's known as fort  b j.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Matt Varney

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 10:54:46 AM »
That is a funny story - Fort B.J. what a great name with a story to tell.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back