News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Kelly

Re: John Feinstein on Goydos....
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2008, 06:09:37 PM »
If you didn't catch the segment in the eastern time zone, please do so as the sun moves west.

I think it's passing over the Midwest right now!
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Tom Zeni

« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2008, 06:11:02 PM »
Phil,

I agree. I recalled it and how he went into Tiger being the most underrated player on tour, due to his incredible winning. But, I was leaving room for those such as yourself, to have a chance to post his lines and thoughts. Kudos.

Tom Zeni

« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2008, 06:13:24 PM »
Dan,

Isn't PTI repeated on ESPN 2 at 6:30pm eastern, or sometime later in the evening? For those who didn't get to see it the first time, check your local listings.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 06:16:16 PM by Tom Zeni »

Dan Kelly

« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2008, 06:16:11 PM »
Dan,

Isn't PTI repeated on ESPN 2 at 6:30pm, or sometime later in the evening? For those who didn't get to see it the first time, check your local listings.

Tom -- I was just being ... funny?

Dan

P.S. What's PTI?

John_Conley

« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2008, 06:44:26 PM »
Did Goydos get a cut from the book A Good Walk Spoiled?  I will never understand how society lets people like Feinstein make a living off other peoples accomplisments or tragedies.  Oh yea, Goydos did get divorced, told a joke and has a sore foot....compelling stuff that should not be missed.

???

Society??

Subjects of books choose whether or not to grant interviews and financial arrangements are known in advance.

Individuals choose for themselves.  Society does not.

Tom Zeni

« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2008, 06:48:22 PM »
Dan, PTI is short for "Pardon The Interruption" an ESPN TV sports talk show with Tony Kornheiser and Michael Wilbon.

George Pazin

« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2008, 07:41:14 PM »
Which for he and his family is a very good thing   ;D

And for his readers...not so much.

Does everyone have to be the best?

Can everyone be the best?

Certainly by definition, no.

Obviously there's a market for his stuff or it wouldn't get printed.

There's a lot of variety out there in every bookstore, in every facet of life, really. How many on here can honestly say they give 100% to everything and everything turns out to be as good as anything out there? No one. It's simply impossible.

I've read a small sampling of Feinstein's work - 2 entire books and couldn't even really dent the Bethpage book. But I felt this article shared some things that made me appreciate Goydos more.

Feinstein can be summed up by one of the biggest cliches in sports: It is what it is.

Doesn't make him a giant like Jax, doesn't make his stuff not worth reading on occasion. Sounds kinda like your average poster in many ways.

:)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

David Kelly

« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2008, 02:17:30 AM »
Can everyone be the best?

Certainly by definition, no.

Obviously there's a market for his stuff or it wouldn't get printed.

There's a lot of variety out there in every bookstore, in every facet of life, really.

Thanks for pointing this out.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

George Pazin

« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2008, 10:09:04 AM »
Always happy to help. :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Dan Kelly

« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2008, 12:09:01 PM »
Always happy to help. :)

You're the best at that, George.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2008, 12:13:37 PM »
Did Goydos get a cut from the book A Good Walk Spoiled?  I will never understand how society lets people like Feinstein make a living off other peoples accomplisments or tragedies.  Oh yea, Goydos did get divorced, told a joke and has a sore foot....compelling stuff that should not be missed.

???

Society??

Subjects of books choose whether or not to grant interviews and financial arrangements are known in advance.

Individuals choose for themselves.  Society does not.

To give full disclosure...I was close to some people portrayed wrongly for profit in A Season on the Brink.  I don't think it is a surprise that many people who agree to financial arrangements are really being sold a bill of goods.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2008, 01:06:44 PM »

To give full disclosure...I was close to some people portrayed wrongly for profit in A Season on the Brink.  I don't think it is a surprise that many people who agree to financial arrangements are really being sold a bill of goods.

Boo hoo poor Bobby Knight finally gets called out by someone in the press because all the wimps in Indiana are too scared of him to say anything.

John,

As I said above, Feinstein is an excellent researcher. On his book about his season in The ACC he had information about Gary Williams from practices when he was the coach at BC where I was one of maybe 25-30 people in the gym. I did not even remember the stuff Feinstein wrote about, until I read it in his book and I was there.

Come on, you think you really know what happened at Indiana basketball when Knight was there. And don't start giving me some Bobby graduation statistics. I went to Boston College.  :-*

http://www.tobaccoroadreport.com/home/duke-and-boston-college-earn-t.php

John_Conley

« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2008, 01:35:16 AM »

Jaka, you are remarkably sympathetic to those you know and astonishingly insensitive to those you don't.  Hey, some brushfires are spreading...will you make us all feel good by making light of it again?

wrongly is a word added by you.  Others would argue just simply portrayed.

Your complaint rings similar to the closing scenes of Jamie (?) Johnson's (heir to J&J money) documentary on Growing Up Rich.  (That may even be the title.)  He showed interviews with people that consented and then was threatened with lawsuits because they didn't like the way they were portrayed.  The way they were depicted is 100% a result of their behavior.  If someone isn't comfortable with how John Feinstein crafts a tale they should stay out of it.  Knight's players probably didn't have any say in the matter, so I can see sympathy for them.  Perhaps his assistants too.  I'm sure Dan Dakich may wish some things were omitted or portrayed in a different light.

As for your comment...society didn't say that Feinstein gets rich and Goydos gets nothing for being portrayed in the book.  It is Paul's choice to participate.

Tom Zeni

« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2008, 02:42:49 PM »
Just one note on this controversy about players not getting anything when having their name in a book. In the same way that Hollywood stars don't get paid for having their pictures snapped, players are rewarded in the same fashion when mentioned..... Free Publicity. 

The more popular you are, or simply that people have interest in you because of being written about, the more logo's (for which you do get paid) you get to wear on your shirt and hat.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back