News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Re: John Feinstein on Goydos....
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2008, 01:32:15 PM »
The best I can tell Feinstein gave half the proceeds from his book about Bruce Edwards to Edwards.  I suppose after getting a less percentage from Watson all those years Edwards figured 50% was a good deal.

tlavin

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2008, 01:34:55 PM »
Did Goydos get a cut from the book A Good Walk Spoiled?  I will never understand how society lets people like Feinstein make a living off other peoples accomplisments or tragedies.  Oh yea, Goydos did get divorced, told a joke and has a sore foot....compelling stuff that should not be missed.

More cries for help from the frustrated Asphalt Contractor. First it is the raters who get free green fees, now it is the writer who gets paid for telling interesting stories rather than the "pundit" who get nothing!

PS. My view on John Feinstein is that he is an excellent researcher and an adequate writer who has a formula that works, but gets boring after a book or two.

I wouldn't call friends from coast to coast nothing.  Perhaps Feinstein can write a book about me...The worst architectural critic in the history of golf. 

We have all the source material he'd require right here!  But there'd be some stiff competition for that moniker.

George Pazin

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2008, 01:44:52 PM »
I realize I am but a lowly t-shirt printer, not A Man Who Builds Roads For The People, but I am thoroughly mystified that anyone would characterize a non-fiction writer as a man making his living off the tragedies or accomplishments of other people.

Simpleton that I am, I would think that in a mostly free market such as ours, it is up to the individual who decides to read said stories to peaceably agree to part with his cash in exchange for said stories. Seems fair to me, but again, I am merely a simpleton who doesn't mind parting with the occasional dollar or two in exchange for reading said stories. I guess in some ways that makes me even lower than the leach, as I am supporting the leach and in some ways leaching off of him.

As for the overweight jokester golf pro, leave out the pro part and you've described half the site.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2008, 01:57:26 PM »
I confess that while in an airport I bought the book Pistol.  I felt dirty reading gossip about his family and failures.  I couldn't put it down but did not finish it until my next flight due to the fact that I would rather live life instead of read about it.  I do see where reading on a plane is a valuable way to spend your time and may buy another book some day....I need to give fiction a try.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2008, 02:22:26 PM »
I am happy to see the death of the jovial overweight professional golfer always quick with a joke. 

Barney, what about us amateurs?
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

tlavin

« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2008, 02:24:46 PM »
I confess that while in an airport I bought the book Pistol.  I felt dirty reading gossip about his family and failures.  I couldn't put it down but did not finish it until my next flight due to the fact that I would rather live life instead of read about it.  I do see where reading on a plane is a valuable way to spend your time and may buy another book some day....I need to give fiction a try.

My recommendations:

In the Lake of the Woods, by Timothy O'Brien
Straight Man, by Richard Russo
Affliction, by Russell Banks
All the Pretty Horses, by Cormac McCarthy
Lonesome Dove, by Larry McMurtry

George Pazin

« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2008, 02:37:10 PM »

My recommendations:

In the Lake of the Woods, by Timothy O'Brien
Straight Man, by Richard Russo
Affliction, by Russell Banks
All the Pretty Horses, by Cormac McCarthy
Lonesome Dove, by Larry McMurtry

I'd recommend Animal Farm by Orwell. It was once thought to be brilliant political satire, now it seems to be regarded as a how-to book.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2008, 02:53:38 PM »

I'd recommend Animal Farm by Orwell. It was once thought to be brilliant political satire, now it seems to be regarded as a how-to book.

How stupid would I look sitting on a plane reading the first edition copy I bought during my book hoarding days.  I can just hear my seat mate saying under his breath..."Look at the fat man with the fancy liitle childrens book, I wish he would spend as much time at the gym as he does trying to make an impression so I could have a scooch more room."  I hate people who read the classics in their 40's. 

Lou_Duran

« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2008, 03:06:08 PM »
"I hate people who read the classics in their 40's"

Gosh, John.  I had you for a much older man.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2008, 03:12:16 PM »
"I hate people who read the classics in their 40's". 

I admire them.

Bob

Kalen Braley

« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2008, 03:18:10 PM »

I admire them.

Bob

Amen to that one Bob, amen...its never too late to discover or re-discover the classics.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2008, 03:21:04 PM »

I admire them.

Bob

To make my opinion more clear...I hate people who read the classics in their 40's in public.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2008, 03:24:13 PM »

I admire them.

Bob

To make my opinion more clear...I hate people who read the classics in their 40's in public.

Geez John, I didn't take you for a guy with thin skin who would worry what someone else would think of you for reading a certain book?  Do fat guys reading classics make you blush?   ;D  ;)

John Keenan

« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2008, 03:28:33 PM »
Rereading a classic such as Animal Farm in your 40's 50's or whatever will reveal a different book than the book you read at 18. Some hold up quite well some do not.

Add me to the list of those who admire readers of classics in their 40's and up.

On not liking John Feinstein books it is really quite simple do not read them if you do not like his writing. As with most authors some of his books are better than others.

John
The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2008, 03:42:04 PM »
Terry - you mentioned "All the Pretty Horses". I haven't read it, but a few years ago was stunned by McCarthy's "Blood Meridian" -- it was like discovering not only a new writer but a new kind of writing.

Peter

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2008, 04:16:36 PM »

On not liking John Feinstein books it is really quite simple do not read them if you do not like his writing. As with most authors some of his books are better than others.

I don't think it is that simple.  These Feinstein books are part of the problem with sports and the exploitation of athletics and athletes.  To simply ignore them would be irresponsible and lazy.

Will MacEwen

« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2008, 04:32:09 PM »

John

His best stuff has been really good - A Season on the Brink, and AGWS, for me.  Not many better sports books - maybe The Game for me.  His later stuff has disappointed, but few writers match their best work consistently, and when you have a contract to produce a book, you produce a book. 

David Kelly

« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2008, 04:52:14 PM »
Similar to David Halberstam's sports books, Feinstein's books often read to me like someone just fulfilling a book contract.  His articles tend to be better written because he does not have to work about padding them or doing his usual thumbnail biography of everyone in the book.

Also like Halberstam' first sports book (The Breaks of the Game) Feinstein's best book was his first.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2008, 05:44:50 PM »
I go away for a few hours, to watch my daughter's conference golf tournament, and return to find ... this.

Philip -- I agree with what you're saying. I make MY living off the publication of small stories, written by and about people you've never heard of (and never, otherwise, would). I love small stories. I just think -- continue to think -- that there isn't going to be a large enough market for the smaller golf "personality" stories, to justify them in the traditional media. On the Internet? Who knows? Go for it!

Rich -- I don't know what the Tour should do. If I were in charge, the Tour would be sending out personality profiles to every e-mailbox I know of whose owner has expressed an interest in golf. And I would be producing personality profiles for use during the golf telecasts.

All -- If I say I think Feinstein is a great writer, I'd be lying. If I say anything else, someone will detect jealousy. So I will say ... NOTHING!

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

John Keenan

« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2008, 05:51:30 PM »
Most writers sadly get to a formula and the books do it get stale. John Fienstein is occasionally on the radio here (KNBR sport and NPR) and he is an excellent interview.

Feinstein books mirror to a large extent what is occurring they do not cause it. If one does not like  the message no reason to kill the messenger. He shows the many sides of sports not all of them noble and pure. I have not read but understand that his book on the Patriot league is quite good. I enjoyed the football story Next Man Up. In general his books are good airline reads

The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

David Kelly

« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2008, 05:56:29 PM »
John Fienstein is occasionally on the radio here (KNBR sport and NPR) and he is an excellent interview.

While he may be a hacky writer, he is an A+ book seller.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

John Keenan

« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2008, 06:01:23 PM »
Which for he and his family is a very good thing   ;D

Tom Zeni

« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2008, 06:01:58 PM »
Getting back to Paul Goydos. If you weren't rooting for him during the Players, or a fan of his after reading Feinstein's article, hopefully, you just caught, or are about to catch PTI in your time zone.

Kornheiser and Wilbon spent the "5 good minutes" segment interviewing Goydos. He's a down to earth guy, and you can easily see why writer's go to him for a quote.  Tony asked how nervous he was on the course. Goydos responded in his deadpan manner, "I'm a very nervous person. When I went to sleep the night before the final round, I was dreaming I was nervous."

Tony also asked: We heard that you were offered six figures to wear a sponsors hat for Saturday and Sunday. Paul looked quizical and said, "are you counting decimal points?"

Mike asked, what this meant to Paul's daughters. He replied, probably 2,3, or 4 more trips to the mall.

Paul also had some other funny comments as well as insightful ones about winning on tour. If you didn't catch the segment in the eastern time zone, please do so as the sun moves west.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 06:03:34 PM by Tom Zeni »

David Kelly

« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2008, 06:04:12 PM »
Which for he and his family is a very good thing   ;D

And for his readers...not so much.

Phil McDade

« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2008, 06:06:03 PM »
Tom:

His best line was about why he hadn't won more. "Talent."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back