News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

MERION GC EAST- Just the Course New
« on: May 13, 2008, 11:02:47 AM »
What can I say that hasn't already been said?  I got to meet a few great guys; Wayne Morrison & Dan Herman. Its a tribute to my playing partners and the course that my terrible play didn't detract from the day - I enjoyed it immensely!  The one thing I am sure of is that I haven't seen a better course than Merion.  I played several Doak 10s and until now, none matched Ballybunion Old Sandwich.  In the case of both these great courses, missing a single hole is a mistake.  It isn't often that great courses live up to the hype and Merion is certainly as good as folks say. Secondly, I was very impressed with how the 100+ odd beaches were incorporated into the design.  Many were not noticeable, which of course begs the question if they are necessary or not.  Surely some can come out, but I didn't get the impression that the course was wildly over-bunkered.  Third, the drainage of Merion is outstanding.  There was something like 2 inches of rain the day before, but there was no evidence of it on the course.  Fourth, I was very impressed with how the greens "hid" the slopes.  The greens flow wonderfully into their surrounds.  The bottom line is that one needs to play the course many times to learn the greens because a ton o' putts can't be read.  Finally, after hearing so much about how tight the property is, I was amazed at how expansive the course seemed.  Not once did I get the feeling of being hemmed in or thinking that the course could use more space. 

This pic of #2 is indicative of my only real beef with the course.  I would rather see the bunkering be more in play with fairways extending out to them.  The heavy rough stops balls from making these bunkers more efficient.  BTW, the bunkers were beautiful - firm and not much sand.

Approach to #2.  See how there is a ridge running up the left?  This made me think that the putt ran downhill to this hole location.  This was the first time I heard about THE GRAIN!

#3, one of those much talked about holes.  It is most certainly not a Redan, but a good hole regardless.

The third shot at #4 - I am not sure what the front bunkers add to the hole.  The rough looks benign, but it is similar to a race track in its toughness, depth and lushness. 

I really liked the 5th.  Its old school with a grade level sloped green.  The creek is used well here as the best approach is from the left - near the water.  You also get a rare glimpse of what the bunkering would look like with fairways leading into them.  Also, take notice of the 3rd in the background.  There is something to be said for interior views.

The 6th is a bit of a reverse dogleg and plays longer than one may think.  The player can bounce one up here, but going long (as is the case on many holes) isn't a great idea.  Below is the approach form the right side of the fairway.

#8 is an odd hole.  The line is out off the right bunker even though the hole turns left.  The fairway cuts in significantly on the left beyond the blind left fairway bunker.  Below is the approach.  I thought the angle in was cool as the 9th pin can be seen and the 10th fairway is in the background.  Its incredible how the interior views offer a feeling of space when we know the property is fairly tight.   

#9 - all the stuff happening around the green detracts one's attention away from how great this green really is.  The big left bunker seems miles from the green, but it is spot on in play. 

#10, a very cool short par 4 legging hard left with the green angled away from the fairway.  The 11th tee is accented with this plaque.

The 11th was a delightful surprise for me.  I have no recollection of ever seeing pix of it before.  Its a lovely short par 4 over the brow of a hill.  Though, I think the hole would flow better if the fairway went past the creek.  Below is the approach.

A look at the hole from further back.

The 12th whips round to the right.  Anything in the rough makes it difficult to reach this hole as it plays uphill.  The green is a killer and I am not sure there are many pin placements if the greens are running quick.  The 13th is a cracker of a short par 3.  I was caught out on the birdie putt.  For all its worth the green looks like it flows left to right downhill toward the water, but all who should know said the exact opposite was the case.

The only awkward green to tee walk cutting across #1 takes us to the 14th.  The hole slides left and curiously has bunkering to the outside of the dogleg.  There is a freaky little mound just left of the green.  I asked Wayne if a ball could kick off that and head for oob.  The answer was not definitive, but when Tom P's name is mentioned, answers rarely are definitive!  A closer look at the green and its surrounds.  From this angle one can see how the rough makes some sense because it flows quite well into the hairy surrounds of the bunkers.

There aren't enough words to describe all the cool holes on Merion.  #15 is another good un' which moves to the right over a few bunkers guarding the direct line to the green.  This is one of the most severe greens on the course.  Though, I thought the 16th was the best.  The landing zone is blind and the approach is obscured.  One may get a glimpse of the flag if they are on the far left side of the fairway.  I followed Wayne's advice and got an obscured approach!  Additionally, the fairway is a mere extension of the 15th tee - another very cool detail.

A look at the green from the landing zone.

Anything short lands in the old quarry.  The use of the terrain as a natural hazard is is proper old school golf. 

17 takes you back across the quarry to a nasty two tier green - a severe, but fun par 3.

More history.

Its a shame it all had to end on 18, but thats life.  The use of the land, variety of holes and green complexes are outstanding. However, despite how good Merion is, with the rough kept at a strangling height and often marooning the bunkers to a secondary role, I have to give it 2*.  I expect the club has a real dilemma in terms of preserving some championship elements of this fairly short 6400 course while still remaining enjoyable for the membership.  Even with the issue of the rough, Merion is the best inland course I have seen and I can't name one links which I think is superior.  I only hope I can return some day.

SCORECARD (daily tees)
East Course
Par 70
6103 Yards

1. 333
2. 518
3. 168 !
4. 560
5. 405 !!
6. 410
7. 343
8. 342
9. 160/169 !
10. 349 !
11. 349 !
12. 334
13. 121
14. 387
15. 353 !
16. 407 !
17. 208 !
18. 411

Ciao
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 04:57:07 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

BVince

Re: Merion - Just the Course New
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 11:21:44 AM »
Simply put, its one of the most beautiful and inspiring designs I have ever seen.  My favorite picture thus far is the one of #8, it is so cool to see the other green in the distance.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 09:26:27 PM by BVince »
If profanity had an influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be played far better than it is. - Horace Hutchinson

Rich Goodale

Re: Merion - Just the Course
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 11:26:11 AM »
Great stuff, Sean.  You might be on your way to taking over Philip Gawith's role as Chief GCA.com photographer.

Rich

PS--So is the 3rd a Redan?

R

Sean_A

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 11:30:53 AM »
Great stuff, Sean.  You might be on your way to taking over Philip Gawith's role as Chief GCA.com photographer.

Rich

PS--So is the 3rd a Redan?

R

Rihc

I am not sure why anyone would think #3 is a Redan.  If one were to put a label on it, a volcano type hole is more appropriate.  In fact, the 9th is far more Redan-like than #3, but it ain't a Redan either.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

mike_malone

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 11:39:03 AM »
 Sean,

What is there about Ballybunion that puts it so high in your view? BTW it is my favorite Irish course. For me, the routing is magical.

This is what I don't see at Merion-- a routing that knocks my socks off. The two par fives over by #4 creates a lack of variety for me for the rest of the course. Also, there is just too much back and forth for my taste.  The section from #6 through #13 is too long a stretch of less than terrific holes for me with sevearl short par fours in a short time.. My objections are about Merion not being at the very highest level.

There can't be so many blemishes for the very best courses.

How much do the two plaques add to the aura of Merion ?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 02:20:03 PM by michael_malone »
AKA Mayday

tlavin

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 11:48:13 AM »
I see the need for a lot of cubic feet of sawdust.  Or is that heretical talk about the Philly shrine?

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 11:56:04 AM »
Sean

You lucky boy you!

Having spent the past few weeks trying to keep up with all the threads on the history of Merion it's great to have a thread which lets those of us who have never seen it and will never get the chance to play it an opportunity to glean why it is so important to the history of American golf course architecture.

I look forward to viewing the back nine.  Have you any more treats for us from your Stateside visit?
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Dean Stokes

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 11:59:51 AM »
Sean, couldn't agree more with you about the bunkering. In an effort to narrow the fairways, the bunkers are being taken out of play. I would like to see the fairways run into the bunkers - when you look at #1 the fairway should go round the outsides of the bunkers thus allowing the ball to run in to them. This seems to happen way too often these days. The course does look like a lot of fun though. It's definitely on my list!
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Lou_Duran

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 12:11:06 PM »
Sean,

Great pics.  Beautiful bunkering.  In person, does the course appear as tight, maybe a bit congested in places, as it does to me when viewing Google maps?  Are you comfortable on most tees pulling out the driver?

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 12:51:10 PM »
As always, Sean, thanks for the pictures, and especially for a detailed look at Merion today. I'm not suprised you liked it so much -- to my eyes at least it looks mostly as understated and subtle as the courses you play on the Sean Mini Tour of English Parkland Courses.

Peter

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 01:45:09 PM »
Thanks Sean!  Your photos are a great reminder of the greatest day I have ever had playing this game - my day at Merion.  I'm glad that you seemed to have enjoyed it as much as I did.

Sean_A

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 02:17:33 PM »
Sean,

Great pics.  Beautiful bunkering.  In person, does the course appear as tight, maybe a bit congested in places, as it does to me when viewing Google maps?  Are you comfortable on most tees pulling out the driver?

Lou

The course doesn't feel at all congested.  There is one crossover to #14 tee (the crossover to #3 is not an issue imo) and the 10th tee is exposed to back gardens.  Traffic can be heard, but rarely seen.  I think the routing is quite a feat and don't understand Mayday's complaints.  

Ciao
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 05:46:34 AM by Sean Arble »

Dan Herrmann

Re: Merion - Just the Course - all 18
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2008, 02:43:38 PM »
Sean - Great pics that captured a wonderful day!  It was really great meeting you and bringing up the names of Red Wing greats :)

I don't know how grain works with bentgrass greens, but it certainly affects things here, doesn't it....    Yep - 2 inches of rain the day before, and Matt's guys on the maintenance staff had the course in championship conditions - not a drop of casual water to be found.

A day at Merion is a day in golf heaven.    It truly is a cathedral of golf.

#11 is a diabolical hole that rips your heart out if you misplay it - one of the hardest "short" holes I've ever played.    What design!  Fair but punishing personified. And a walk through the quarry at 16 makes one think of all the greats that have walked that trail before you.  It's a very humbling experience.

It's the longest 6100+ course (from the member's tees) I've ever played.   It's going to be a wonderful test for the Walker Cup and the US Open.

Terry - trees aren't really an issue at all at Merion East. 
Mayday - I happen to LOVE the routing.  The routing provides a sense of adventure much like a well-crafted symphony.  It has its movements - some sweet and soothing, some loud and pounding.  But it climaxes at 16, 17, and 18.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 02:49:17 PM by Dan Herrmann »

Dan Boerger

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2008, 02:48:43 PM »
Nice photos. It really is one unique place that will test every part of ones game.

But, no comment on the showers?
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Peter Wagner

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2008, 02:52:54 PM »
Sean,

Thanks for posting all of these pictures!  What a great looking course!

Best,
Peter

Britt Rife

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2008, 02:58:59 PM »
Sean,

I have been lurking here for years, pulling up GCA.com every day hoping that someone would post a photo essay of Merion.  Finally, that day is here.  Thank you, from the bottom of my heart.

And I'm really sorry about the sh*nks.   

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2008, 02:59:19 PM »
Thank you Sean...Merion is in my top 5 for sure..so thanks for the pictures as a reminder of just how glorious she is....

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2008, 03:07:46 PM »
Britt - don't worry about his s*'s - Sean can hit the tee ball a country mile!

Ash Towe

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2008, 03:13:15 PM »
Sean,
Thanks for the wonderful pics.  It is great to see this truely magnificent course.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2008, 03:48:02 PM »
Sean - Outstanding photos of a great course. I've never played Merion, but from your pictures my first thought was... "what's with all the rough!!!" It gives one the impression that the folks at Merion artifically make their course as hard as they can to protect its image.

As several have mentioned, many bunkers have obviously been taken out of play by bringing the fairways in so narrow. Can the course not stand up and protect itself without all that rough? Merion is no doubt one of the USA's best courses, but I'd hate to think it serves a role model for how courses should be set up.

I saw the same type setup the first time I played the Cascades Course at The Homestead: artifically narrowed fairways just to make the course more difficult. If you missed the extremely narrow fairways by one foot you were usually reduced to just hacking it back into play... lot's of fun!?!? It that also the case at Merion?

"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Sean_A

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2008, 03:53:09 PM »
Sean - Outstanding photos of a great course. I've never played Merion, but from your pictures my first thought was... "what's with all the rough!!!" It gives one the impression that the folks at Merion artifically make their course as hard as they can to protect its image.

As several have mentioned, many bunkers have obviously been taken out of play by bringing the fairways in so narrow. Can the course not stand up and protect itself without all that rough? Merion is no doubt one of the USA's best courses, but I'd hate to think it serves a role model for how courses should be set up.

I saw the same type setup the first time I played the Cascades Course at The Homestead: artifically narrowed fairways just to make the course more difficult. If you missed the extremely narrow fairways by one foot you were usually reduced to just hacking it back into play... lot's of fun!?!? It that also the case at Merion?

Michael

I think there is a case to be made for some of the rough especially where there are cut ins to create angles.  Plus, the course is very short.  Having said that, I never felt the fairways weren't wide enough - though the ball wasn't rolling too much possibly because of the heavy rains.  For me, its more of an aesthetic thing and to try and get the bunkering more in play. 

Ciao

BVince

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2008, 04:08:08 PM »

I do not understand why rough would keep the golf course from being a "role model" for others?  The rough did not appear to be overgrown or of extreme height.  The course looks to be maintained very well, to include the rough, and has a look that is consistent to other top tier courses.
If profanity had an influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be played far better than it is. - Horace Hutchinson

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2008, 04:46:31 PM »
The rough is definitely playable, and the fairways certainly have adequate width.

Keep in mind that the pictures were taken in May on a day after a 2" rainfall - grass grows very rapidly with those two variables at play.

Matt Bosela

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2008, 05:38:34 PM »
Sean,

Many thanks for the photos and the accompanying words on the course.  The beauty almost brings a tear to my eye.  One day I'll get there!

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2008, 06:02:55 PM »

There can't be so many blemishes for the very best courses.

How much do the two plaques add to the aura of Merion ?

Mayday,

I have been fortunate to play with a number of first time players at Merion ranging in handicaps from 2 to 18. Most have had their lunch handed to them, a few played the course very well. All loved and gushed over the course. I am actually amazed at how people love that course. If you want to argue that 7-12 has too many short fours for a Championship Course, you are probably not wrong. I don't play Championship golf, so that is okay with me.

If you don't see greatness in some of the individual holes on that stretch, then you are missing something.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back