News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Don_Mahaffey

Wolf Point Pics
« on: May 05, 2008, 10:11:12 AM »
#2 green...I haven't seen many greens like this...I love it...if the pin is left you need to be left in the fwy to have a reasonable chance of being close...same if pin is on the right...#2 and #11 share a common fwy so it's very wide, but position does matter here.

right side #3 fwy Good example of what the course will look like as it matures. Large closely mowed fwy with a 15 foot wide semi and then the ball eating native.

#6 green...one of my favorite holes...a very unassuming par 3 that has been shown to play much tougher than it looks.

#7 green...

#14 green...just a very tough, yet fun, par 5. Tons of room to bail on your approach, but no easy chips if you do.

Nuzzo making approach to 14...I think he dumped it in the hazard ;D

Approach to the #5

#17 approach…long par 4 into the wind

Jimmy Muratt

Re: Wolf Point Pics
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 10:32:06 AM »
I love the look of the wide corridors, rumpled ground and large contoured greens.  Combined with the ever-present wind and it sounds like the makings for a fun golf course and something very unique. 

Just looking at a few of those pics, I can imagine playing many different shots into and around the greens....that's a very good thing.  Thanks for posting these pics, the course looks fantastic....

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 10:37:46 AM »
The course looks remarkably uncluttered, but I guess that's the way a private course which isn't yet open should look.

The photo of the approach to #5 is the best looking of the bunch, but there are a lot of soft, wrinkly contours in all the photos ... are some of these natural or are they ALL shaped?

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 10:38:34 AM »
Don -

I always appreciate you and Mike posting pictures from Wolf Point. The feeling of this course seems just wonderful, and the scale.  I can imagine the cattle grazing just behind the treeline in pic #1, and a long straight stretch of flat Texas highway running alongside.

Thanks again, and congratulations!

Peter
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 10:40:06 AM by Peter Pallotta »

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 10:58:32 AM »
Peter,
cattle grazing yes, TX hwy, no...as the closest paved road is almost 3 miles away.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 12:05:31 PM by Don_Mahaffey »

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 10:59:55 AM »
Thank you fellas.

Tom,
By uncluttered do you mean no housing or the broad backgrounds?
There are also only a few bunkers in the images.

The 5th has always been one of my favorites because of the green complex - but the hazard in the driving zone will make it a favorite for others.

Some are natural and some are shaped.
I will say that these are the most undulated greens on the course - they are easier to photograph, and just happend to be the first that are ready.  Some of the others about to come on line are very subtle.
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil & Tiger.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 11:44:58 AM »
I agree with Doak. The approach to #5 looks fantastic.

Congratulations Mike, and Don... finally hitting some shots, and playing golf at Wolf Point must be very gratifying. Enjoy.
jeffmingay.com

John Mayhugh

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 11:54:05 AM »
Thanks for posting these.  I too love the contours.  Think how much fun this would be playing firm on a windy day!

George Pazin

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008, 12:17:08 PM »
Thanks for sharing - love the ground contours. Hope to see it someday.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

RJ_Daley

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2008, 01:20:29 PM »
This looks to be the kind of course you 'feel' with your feet, and get all happy about your walk.  It would also be worth the price of lessons to learn to hit that low stinger ball, coping with Texas wind and rumpled rollouts.  Fun = ball time in contact with ground, running.  The rumpled links of Port Lavacca... who'd have thunk it.  ;) ;D 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2008, 01:25:31 PM »
John,
It is FUN.

If you want a taste of the current spring afternoon winds - please check out my post from last Friday on my weblog - http://nuzzogolfcoursedesign.blogspot.com/

The conditions were very firm and fast and that is completely attributable to Don from both a construction and maintenance stand point.

What Don has accomplished has been phenominal.

Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil & Tiger.

John Foley

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2008, 03:43:26 PM »
Great pics.

Got a great feeling that it's pretty cool to be Mike Nuzzo & Don Maffahey these days!
Integrity in the moment of choice

Ian Andrew

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2008, 09:23:27 PM »
Mike and Don,

Congratulations to both of you. It's been a long road but I think the course looks great.

I have appreciated all the sneak peaks that the blog has offered from the very first day you began to document the course's construction. The first course is so important and the fact you have all this documented will make you really happy when you can look back at what you have accomplished.

I certainly look forward to coming to down to take your money enjoy playing the course with you. That is a day I'm looking foward to very much.

Your friend,

Ian

Tim Bert

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2008, 09:37:41 PM »
Mike - I remember your passion talking about this project at dinner last year at the Dixie Cup.  It's really coming along nicely and it is great to see pictures of the final product on some of these holes. 

Mike & Don - Congratulations!  I know we're not allowed to pass judgment based on pictures, but this looks REALLY cool.

I know this has probably been discussed on here in another thread, but now that we're seeing some remarkable photos of the greens... what's the planned speed?  It appears that there is an awful lot of movement.

Jeff Spittel

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2008, 07:58:09 AM »
Congratulations Mike and Don,

It looks as pure and uncluttered as advertised. I'm sure those first few holes played were a very satisfying reward.
Fare and be well now, let your life proceed by its own design.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2008, 09:43:59 AM »
Mike I cannot wait to see your work here. I am s glad you have Don to share the joy with as well. It looks great. cheers Tiger

Adam Clayman

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2008, 10:32:50 AM »
This is another of the gca.com babies. Watching them grow up is really a pleasure.

Thanx and well done, men.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2008, 05:49:42 PM »
Thanks everyone for the nice comments.
The course is, and will remain uncluttered. It feels very big when you’re out there and some of the vistas are great. I truly believe that we have delivered a world class golf course. It’s not for everyone as the greens are quirky and it’s not “all in front of you”, but I’m confident we’ve given the client what he asked for.

Tim,
The greens do have a lot of movement and although I don’t own a stimpmeter I’m going to guess that we’ll keep them around 9 – 9.5. Basically I’m going to keep ramping up the pace until my boss says, “that’ll do”. He’s close to saying that already and I’m not yet done dropping the mowers. We planted Emerald Bermuda on the greens, a dwarf plant, but not an ultradwarf. We selected it because it has performed well in our area and it is very deep rooted. On greens we planted last fall we now have roots 9 inches deep, which means we can go a long time between our heavy irrigation cycles. While the ultradwarfs can handle mowing heights below 1/10th of an inch, we’ll stay at .125 or 1/8th of an inch. We wanted smooth rolling quick greens, but more than that we wanted dry turf on and around the greens. The ultradwarfs just don’t put down roots and they require frequent irrigation. We didn’t want to double up the irrigation around the greens so we designed and built everything with turf types, soil, and playability in mind.

The beauty of this project for me has been the fact that I’ve been able to integrate my ideals of how the course should be maintained into Mike’s design from the very beginning. Irrigation design, materials selection, grass types, equipment, maintenance facility design…all the decisions made from an agronomic or functional standpoint were made to provide the playability to show off Mike’s design. We did it all, and so far we are very happy with the outcome.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2008, 06:35:08 PM »
How much did it cost to import dead elephants for burying in the greens?  ;D

Loooooking good.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jason Mandel

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2008, 09:22:14 AM »
Mike and Don,

Congratulations!  The course looks very, very strong.  I enjoyed hearing all the stories you had to tell down in Georgia about the course and am enjoying seeing the pictures of the finished product even more.  I'm sure this was one of the most gratifying projects you have ever worked on.

Jason
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

Wyatt Halliday

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2008, 09:52:31 AM »
Don and Mike,

I too have been following the blog closely and have enjoyed watching the progress (and learning quite a bit along the way). It is great to have a "scrapbook" of the process which not only includes the course progression but memories of journey as a whole. Great Stuff, congratulations.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2008, 11:09:07 AM »
The beauty of this project for me has been the fact that I’ve been able to integrate my ideals of how the course should be maintained into Mike’s design from the very beginning. Irrigation design, materials selection, grass types, equipment, maintenance facility design…all the decisions made from an agronomic or functional standpoint were made to provide the playability to show off Mike’s design. We did it all, and so far we are very happy with the outcome.

Don - this is the most interesting thing to me about Wolf Point. I know that every project will have its own set of demands and client expectations/needs, but the approach that you and Mike took on this sounds to me like a nearly perfect model...and a model that will become increasingly important and relevant as restrictions (water, financing, environmental etc) take ever stronger hold.

Peter

Brad Tufts

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2008, 11:10:21 AM »
Mike & Don,

Congrats on what appears to be a job well done.  It has been wonderful to follow along, and listen to your thoughts during the process.

-Brad
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Carter Hindes

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2008, 04:46:34 PM »
Don,

Congrats on the early success you are having.  Here at Traditions Club the Emerald is still as good as it has been since planting.  Five years old and there are still some spots that we have 12 inch roots.  It sure does make the hot summer months in Texas a lot easier.  We can go 5-6 days without water on the greens which is unheard of with ultradwarf.  It sure makes it nice to keep them that fast and firm without worrying about plant health.  Enjoyed the photos.  Congratulations!

Carter Hindes
Carter Hindes

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2008, 04:55:32 PM »
Carter,
Thanks for the note. the success you guys have had with Emerald played a large part in our decision. I had a few long conversations with Sean (?.. I'm terrible with names), and his enthusiasm for Emerald helped to seal the deal. So far so good as grow in has gone great, especially considering most greens were planted after Halloween and are now 100% covered and mowed to .175.
Stop by if you’re ever down this way. My son has visions of becoming an Aggie so we may be by to see you guys in the near future.

Don

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back