News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_Yates

Re: Del Monte GC
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2008, 04:58:24 PM »
Since moving to Pebble Beach, I have adopted ODM as my home course.  For the value, quality, walkability, conditioning, strategic design, access, sincere and welcoming staff and "pure golf" nature of the entire package, it is now my affordable country club.

Some of you might question my use of the word "strategic" when describing the design, but when you play ODM enough, you begin to uncover the hidden strategic secrets to positioning yourself off the tee and on the greens to score well.  And with the winds off Monterey Bay, an infinite array of challenges constantly present themselves.

I also think the small well-bunkered greens and the rolling terrain (the only truly flat holes are Nos. 2, 5, 8, 17 and 18) make the course both interesting with flow and movement, yet very walkable.   

The facility only has three cash registers, one in the great little restaurant and two in the understated but comfortable Pro Shop.  But most importantly, ODM has a well-conditioned, challenging and truly fun course to play; loosely translated - Pure golf!

Bill Yates
www.pacemanager.com 
"When you manage the pace of play, you manage the quality of golf."

David Stamm

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2008, 07:18:26 PM »
Since moving to Pebble Beach, I have adopted ODM as my home course.  For the value, quality, walkability, conditioning, strategic design, access, sincere and welcoming staff and "pure golf" nature of the entire package, it is now my affordable country club.

Some of you might question my use of the word "strategic" when describing the design, but when you play ODM enough, you begin to uncover the hidden strategic secrets to positioning yourself off the tee and on the greens to score well.  And with the winds off Monterey Bay, an infinite array of challenges constantly present themselves.

I also think the small well-bunkered greens and the rolling terrain (the only truly flat holes are Nos. 2, 5, 8, 17 and 18) make the course both interesting with flow and movement, yet very walkable.   

The facility only has three cash registers, one in the great little restaurant and two in the understated but comfortable Pro Shop.  But most importantly, ODM has a well-conditioned, challenging and truly fun course to play; loosely translated - Pure golf!

Bravo! Well said!
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Bill_Yates

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2008, 07:45:33 PM »
David,
Thanks.  I really do love playing there.

Hey, if anyone can email me offline with a detailed "Posting Photos on GCA for Dummies," I'll take some photos next week and start an ODM architectural thread.  bill_yates@um.att.com

Thanks!
Bill Yates
www.pacemanager.com 
"When you manage the pace of play, you manage the quality of golf."

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2008, 08:20:17 PM »
Del Monte is the Southampton GC of the Monterey Peninsula. Very nice, small, intimate course that is a pleasure to play in a neighborhood with GIANTS.

Tim Bert

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2008, 10:06:25 PM »
Del Monte finished up toward the tail end of golf courses that I played last week in my opinion.  That being said, it is really a testament to the quality of golf courses we played.  It is not a poor reflection on Del Monte in any way.  It exceded my expectations.  It felt to me like it could have been in a number of metro areas; Chicago comes to mind.  It was a nice course with some good solid bones.  It is an excellent change of pace (and price) in Monterey.

Unfortunately, I was so pre-occupied by getting whooped by Ed and Ron that this was the only course where I didn't manage to take a lot of photos.  I should have just snapped away because the match was over before it ever began.  Ed and Ron ham & egged it beautifully with a 2-under par start on the first three holes.  Evan and I just sat back and watched them play.

It is a treat to play, and I'd recommend it to anyone looking to fill a spot on a trip to the area.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back