News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Ober

I have a new favorite par 3, and it's at Lakeside
« on: April 30, 2008, 01:20:03 AM »
The 15th hole at Lakeside playing to the short green is just fantastic.

For those of you who have not played the hole, it's really two completely different holes. One is a fairly ho-hom downhill 160 yarder with a bunker left. Nothing special.

The alternate green, though, is a tiny spec that can be played from as far back as 90 yards or as close as 55. In the Kelly Cup, we played it at a scant 60 yards, and oh what a deceptive little bugger it is from that distance.

I think I've now played the short hole four times and am a combined 1-under par. I believe my playing partners (scratch or better golfers one and all) are a combined 6 or 7 over during that same time, which is probably why I love the hole so much.  ;D

The tee is elevated, and the green pushed up significantly, with two large, deep bunkers guarding the front. The green falls of severely to the left, right and back, making an up-and-down very, very difficult.

The green is tiny, but not too tiny, if you get my meaning. The great thing about the hole is that you can play a wide variety of shots into the green, but you better do one of two things if you want to hold it: nip it good and spin the crap out of it, or bring it in high. Anything else risks one-hopping over the back of the green.

The final thing I love about the hole is that it requires (when playing 50 - 70 yards) a significantly less-than-full shot -- which is something that strikes fear into the hearts of  many (most?) players.

It's truly wonderful, quirky, brilliant, and diabolical. Doubt me? Just listen to the Kelly Cup golfers bitch and moan about the little hole some day, and you just may agree with me....

John Mayhugh

Re: I have a new favorite par 3, and it's at Lakeside
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 12:34:20 PM »
No wonder you like the hole so much.  Sounds like a great opportunity for someone like me to s-word their partial wedge.

Do you have a picture of the hole? 

Peter Wagner

Re: I have a new favorite par 3, and it's at Lakeside
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 02:31:31 PM »
David,

I played Lakeside a few months ago with some SCGA friends and I had the opposite reaction to that hole.  It measured 58 yards for us and played maybe 50-ish with the down hill.  I hit half of a lob wedge for a tap in birdie that just felt wrong somehow.  One of our group hit 2 yards over the green to catch the hill and send him flying.  Then oops too long coming back and he was on his way to a big number.

I will grant you that it's a test of yardage control but it's not my favorite par-3 by a long shot.

How did you do in the SCGA Mid-Am at Toscana?

Best,
Peter

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back