News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

J_ Crisham

Re: King's Putter VI 2008 Update
« Reply #100 on: April 29, 2008, 09:58:10 PM »
Is it safe to say the back to back holes at MPCC ,10 and 11 ,may be the best back to back holes on the peninsula? Just amazing!

John Mayhugh

« Reply #101 on: April 29, 2008, 10:05:25 PM »
Jack,
10 & 11 at MPCC are outstanding holes. It's tough to say any combination would be the best at the Peninsula.  Is there a more spectacular collection of courses in such a small area anywhere else?

Bob,
Labeling the photos is the toughest part about acquiring them. I always thought someone should come up with an easy touch screen on a digital camera for on the fly labeling, but not sure how big that market would be.  I do OK if I get caught up within the first week back, but then that starts the dreaming up again.

Jordan,
That's a nice story.  Small world indeed.  I'm not surprised you're a celebrity, but just that it's happened so soon.

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #102 on: April 30, 2008, 12:36:01 AM »
Kudos to Ed, Tom, and everyone else involved in setting this up. It was a pleasure to meet some of the names, return to one of the great "restored" courses anywhere (finally complete!), and find time to spill a Tequila sunrise on Lou Duran 8).

Having said all that......with so much love going on here......hows about a quasi-call to arms for next year's event?

Paging Messrs Simper, Kelly, Moriarty, Naccarato.........et al.....we need some muscle to furnish these blokes a proper whoopin'. So long as Stamm don't set up a 36 hole day at Shorecliffs and San Juan Hills, I will be there.
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #103 on: April 30, 2008, 08:21:03 AM »
Many, many thanks to Bob Huntley for making it possible for some to play MPCC.  It was a memorable day on a fine golf course.  Thank you, Bob.

Getka and Huck did a really good job setting this up.  It was tough making it through 2007 without a Kings Putter, but this year's Northern California event made up in spades.

Adding Peacock Gap and Meadow Club didn't hurt either!  ;D

I hope some of you travelers will make it down to the Dixie Cup in mid-October to sample some southern hospitality and good golf at World Woods and the Dunes.  Whitaker and Cullum will show you a good time!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #104 on: April 30, 2008, 09:52:03 AM »
Is it safe to say the back to back holes at MPCC ,10 and 11 ,may be the best back to back holes on the peninsula? Just amazing!

Those are two fine golf holes (and I assume you mean Shore course).

But it's a very tall statement to say they are the best back to back holes on the Peninsula.  I started compiling sets I found superior and gave up after I reached a dozen.   ;D

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #105 on: April 30, 2008, 12:27:57 PM »
How was the pace of play?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #106 on: April 30, 2008, 12:39:55 PM »
Pace of play was good for the most part.

At Pajaro Valley we got stuck behind a non-GCA group at the turn which led to a almost 3 hour back 9.  The GCA group in front of them was 2 holes ahead of them by the 18th.

And PasaTiempo was slow, but not sure why.  I was in the last group and it took just over 5 hours.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #107 on: April 30, 2008, 12:47:11 PM »
LOL
Mrs. Havecamp and her cronies did hold us all up at Pajaro.  She nicely let us play through after nine... I believe our timing was 2:30 for front nine, 1:45 for back.  Kalen's poor group.... well... I was on my third beer by the time you all got in.

Pasa does tend to take longer than most courses, but 5 hours is too long for that last group.  Of course I know you went as fast as you could... but something must have been holding up the party.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #108 on: April 30, 2008, 12:52:14 PM »
LOL
Mrs. Havecamp and her cronies did hold us all up at Pajaro.  She nicely let us play through after nine... I believe our timing was 2:30 for front nine, 1:45 for back.  Kalen's poor group.... well... I was on my third beer by the time you all got in.

Pasa does tend to take longer than most courses, but 5 hours is too long for that last group.  Of course I know you went as fast as you could... but something must have been holding up the party.

Yeah Mrs. Havecamp was killing us, it was safe to say there was a swear word or two that slipped out amongst our group!!   ;D

As for Pasa we waited on most tees, so we were keeping up with the group in front of us which is all you can do right?  It is a very hilly course so I can see the extra time needed there..

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #109 on: April 30, 2008, 01:15:35 PM »
I was in the first group at Pasa and we finished in 4:30.

But that was only because we were really just a 3 1/2-some because I was picking up on just about every other hole. ;D

Sybil,

I must say that you showed me that one can have an off day where little goes right and yet still have fun. That maniacal cackle as the big hook, followed by the provisional slice, took a toll on your ball supply reminded me of a Mel Brooks comedy.

I wish everyone had your atitude. Too many times I have played with a high hacker that goes into a high dudgeon on a floozled shot when in reality, it is the only shot he has.

Bob

Lou_Duran

« Reply #110 on: April 30, 2008, 01:24:40 PM »
This was my sixth King Putter which means that I've been to twice as many as Dan King himself.  The first one set a very high standard which, in my opinion, has not been approached since.  However, this latest King Putter came close.  Special thanks go to the organizers, recommenders, and hosts.

As Mr. Huntley so eloquently noted in his toast, none of this would have been possible without Ran Morrissett's creation, golfclubatlas.com.  Though not without problems and controversies, Ran through his site has successfully brought together a fairly diverse group of people from throughout the world.  The face-to-face interactions have been tremendously harmonious and enjoyable, and many warm, lasting relationships have been established.  Thanks Ran!

There has been some turnover over the years, and while the new faces are most welcomed, the absent veterans are sorely missed.  I hope that Mrssrs. Ball and Stamm make the KPVII so enticing that they will come back.

BTW, some things seem pretty constant:  1) a few guys like Spaulding, Wall, Benham, and Ball can really play the game while the rest of us aspire to;  2) a wide variety of opinion regarding the architectural merits of the host venues; 3) someone spilling a drink on someone else; and 4) Shivas quitting the game.

As to pace of play, four hours on the dot at Del Monte, 5:05 at Bayonet, 4:55 at Pasatiempo.  Difficult greens at the latter two courses don't help play along.           

John Mayhugh

« Reply #111 on: April 30, 2008, 01:32:48 PM »
I was in the first group at Pasa and we finished in 4:30.

But that was only because we were really just a 3 1/2-some because I was picking up on just about every other hole. ;D

Sybil,

I must say that you showed me that one can have an off day where little goes right and yet still have fun. That maniacal cackle as the big hook, followed by the provisional slice, took a toll on your ball supply reminded me of a Mel Brooks comedy.

I wish everyone had your atitude. Too many times I have played with a high hacker that goes into a high dudgeon on a floozled shot when in reality, it is the only shot he has.

Bob
I learned a lot from playing two rounds on Saturday with Mr. Schmidt.  His attitude sets a good example for the rest of us.

Bob, do you mind if I borrow your "maniacal cackle" description?

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #112 on: April 30, 2008, 01:39:37 PM »
While it kills me to praise the man, I have said it many times over the years:  if there is anyone who has more plain FUN playing this game - and makes it thus more fun for his playing partners - than my friend sybil, well... I'm not sure I want to meet him as I'd never go home.  Sybil does bring a joy to this game that is really what it's all about.

To that end, I also have to concur with the comments of my friend Lou Duran.  Well said.  Here's hoping that 2009's version does become the best ever... and does result in the return of long-missed former participants, along with the addition of even more new blood.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #113 on: April 30, 2008, 02:14:59 PM »
It's a lot of fun reading about the fun you gents had - thanks.

I was reminded again what a great format match play is, i.e. par is good and an 8 won't kill you.

But maybe some of us appreciate that more than others :)

Peter

Dave_Miller

« Reply #114 on: April 30, 2008, 04:20:28 PM »
Kalen,

Great photographs. How on earth do you keep the holes and descriptions so well? I didn't see you making notes.

Bob

Bob:
He spends weeks ahead of time studying the aerials. ;D
Dave

Dave_Miller

« Reply #115 on: April 30, 2008, 04:26:55 PM »
I hate to admit it, but it really is more fun to see a ball go flying off in a completely unexpected direction with an equally unexpected trajectory.  The surprise factor is unignorable.

It's a self evident trusim, in my view, that one cannot truly be surprised by a ball that flys toward an intended target with an intended trajectory.  Hell, that's what you're aiming at & what you're SUPPOSED to do... as the saying goes.  There is, after all, only one target and only one intended result.

So I'm pretty comfy with the notion of the golf ball deciding to travel in completely unintended directions to unintended places...

...I just wish it wasn't happening so FUC%$(%*(#*^ING OFTEN!!  ;D

But Sybil wasn't that tee shot on one at Pasa into the driving range followed by the big slice provisional into another fairway typical of all 5 handicaps :o ;D
Great to see you and a lot of fun
Dave

David Stamm

« Reply #116 on: April 30, 2008, 04:43:11 PM »
LOL

Yeah Mrs. Havecamp was killing us, it was safe to say there was a swear word or two that slipped out amongst our group!!   ;D

I know one had a New England accent... ;)
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Kalen Braley

« Reply #117 on: April 30, 2008, 04:46:12 PM »
Kalen,

Great photographs. How on earth do you keep the holes and descriptions so well? I didn't see you making notes.

Bob

Bob:
He spends weeks ahead of time studying the aerials. ;D
Dave

Its not my fault Dave, it really isn't.  If google hadn't of made that crack-o-licious Earth software then I wouldn't have gotten addicted.   ;D

And for the record, I did view the aerials of every course played KP week.

David Stamm

« Reply #118 on: April 30, 2008, 04:52:06 PM »
  So long as Stamm don't set up a 36 hole day at Shorecliffs and San Juan Hills, I will be there.

Hell, back to the drawing board... ;D
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back