News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Huckaby

Re: King's Putter VI 2008 Update
« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2008, 04:27:01 PM »
Ed - I am not worthy.

But it does need to get back north, some way, some how.

;D

As for being a NorCal, it's a state of mind.

Steve Pieracci

« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2008, 04:28:09 PM »

Now we just need to locate Jeff Fortson and retrieve said Putter.  Some day....

;D

Tom,
    Tommy N has the putter. Unfortunately I realized too late that I hadn't made arrangements to get it up here. Dan King has a backup though, so one way or another we'll get a putter back in your hands. I would hold it but I'll be too far away after this summer. I do expect to remain an honorary NorCal for life though. :)

Ed,
Thanks again for all the effort.  I had a great time, and enjoyed meeting everyone. 

It did feel a little empty without a repeat death match with Lou Duran.   :)

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2008, 06:13:21 PM »

My thanks as well to Bob H., Ed, Tom H., Kyle, Rob, Kalen and all the others who helped put this together. I will post some pics too.  Really enjoyed meeting all of you.

My thrill was looking at the smiles on the mugs of John Mayhugh and Jordan at Pebble on Friday afternoon. It was their first trip around and it was worth every penny (well almost) to see those smiles.

Thanks again to everyone!

Bob Jenkins

Jfaspen

« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2008, 06:25:02 PM »
Reading this thread brought back some good memories of Palm Desert and made me a bit sad I didn't make this trip.  Celebrate your victory and start to plan next year's outing please :)

Jeff

J_ Crisham

« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2008, 06:37:23 PM »
Gentlemen,
         Thanks to Ed, Bob, Kyle, Rob,Kalen,Tom, friends of Bob. I hope to have played in my first of many KP events. The golf was priceless as was the comaraderie. The finest weather one could imagine- a special weekend. The final question is: How many times did Jordan hug Emmy? ;D

Kalen Braley

« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2008, 06:38:56 PM »
Gentlemen,
         Thanks to Ed, Bob, Kyle, Rob,Kalen,Tom, friends of Bob. I hope to have played in my first of many KP events. The golf was priceless as was the comaraderie. The finest weather one could imagine- a special weekend. The final question is: How many times did Jordan hug Emmy? ;D

I think the over/under on that has to got to be at least 5?  I saw 3 myself, but showed up a little late to dinner.   ;D

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2008, 09:02:40 PM »
Indeed, this was fun.  Great to meet everyone.

What a showing too from everyone from all over the world.  Awesome.

I was in Kyle's group too on Sunday and someone clearly misplaced the decimal in the handicap to Elvins.  The lad from down under's got some game!

After the Bayonet disaster, I was really worried for Sunday.  Fortunately, I somehow didn't emabarass myself.  David and I kept it interesting to split the point, but I'm pretty sure I caught David running low on the tank.

All this to say ... I'll be back if I can get some game of my own for next year.

BTW ... where are the pics?  Did we even do a group pic?

Cheers!

“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

David_Elvins

« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2008, 09:13:59 PM »
Not that it mattered, given the entire collapse of my swing this week, my ROW opponent, reputedly a 14 HANDICAP, shot 4 over at Pasatiempo yesterday. Something tells me the courses in Australia feature sandbag bunkers...
No Sandbagging Kyle, as anyone who saw my 52 front nine the day before can atest to.  Playing as much golf in the previous 3 weeks as I normally would in 6 months had me cherry ripe for the final round.  It was great to shoot my lowest score in 10 years on such a fantastic course.  Now I fear I will be going back to playing every 3 weeks and shoting high eighties.  You were great company for someone not in fine form. 

I had a great time, really enjoyed meeting so many people who I had been reading the words of for the last 7 years.  Thanks to everyone who organised the event.  Hopefully I will post more on my trip in the coming weeks.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2008, 09:20:43 PM »
David,

I thought you held it together thru the middle holes in our match with Ron and Ed. The walk up 18 with the gallery present was made alot easier having closed the match. I for one was impressed with your ability to work the ball in the narrow corridors at Pacific Grove-you were a great partner!

Safe travels and I hope to make it down under someday to visit, Jack

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2008, 09:52:36 PM »
David E.,

Nice to meet you and even better to see you play.  I almost forgot about the front 52 at Bayonet.

And all along I just thought you, Ed, and Reef were just trying to make me look half way decent.  Silly me...

I'll have to look you up when I visit.  No doubt in the near future.  All the best.

Not that it mattered, given the entire collapse of my swing this week, my ROW opponent, reputedly a 14 HANDICAP, shot 4 over at Pasatiempo yesterday. Something tells me the courses in Australia feature sandbag bunkers...
No Sandbagging Kyle, as anyone who saw my 52 front nine the day before can atest to.  Playing as much golf in the previous 3 weeks as I normally would in 6 months had me cherry ripe for the final round.  It was great to shoot my lowest score in 10 years on such a fantastic course.  Now I fear I will be going back to playing every 3 weeks and shoting high eighties.  You were great company for someone not in fine form. 

I had a great time, really enjoyed meeting so many people who I had been reading the words of for the last 7 years.  Thanks to everyone who organised the event.  Hopefully I will post more on my trip in the coming weeks.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 11:33:34 PM by Patrick Kiser »
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Tim Bert

« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2008, 10:14:13 PM »
One of the advantages of getting lost every time I tried to drive somewhere in the forest was that I caught some great unexpected photos.  It usually took me twice the expected drive time from any one spot to another.  My personal best was 50 minutes from Spyglass Hill to Del Monte.  Not far behind was 25 minutes from Pebble Beach to Poppy Hills.  Anyway, as luck would have it, I got lost on 17-mile drive one evening right as the sun was going down on the 14th hole at MPCC Dunes.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2008, 10:15:43 PM »

The pleasure was quite mutual, David. I appreciated your support of my suggestions for less unsightly alternatives to the bridge on #11 at Pasatiempo -- zip line or catapult.

Thanks to you and all of my other playing partners (Bill, Pete, Stan, Lou, Evan, David M. and Patrick) and over the weekend for their fine company and insights --you all hid your wincing quite well as I snap-hooked my way to the bottom of my personal golf barrel. I also wish to offer a particularly large thank you to Bob, Ed, Huck, and Kalen for helping to put this event together.

As for my contribution, I hope the hotel was satisfactory for all. Not many places on the peninsula allow single night stays over the weekend and the price seemed right. Feel free to shout your complaints to the heavens. I have a keen sense of hearing and the occasional pang of empathy.

It was great to meet everyone at Vivolos and I hope that I'll eventually have the time and financing to see some of the great courses outside of California with my competitors/mates from the ROW team.

Best Regards,
Kyle

"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Tim Bert

« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2008, 10:23:40 PM »
To those of you that have been promised photos:

Please understand that I've got quite a bit to sort through.  I like to organize, edit if necessary, and label, which takes some time.  I'm targeting a two to three week period to get them settled, and then I'll start burning CDs.  I hope to have a delivery date by Memorial Day.

I have the following folks on my list to send a CD:
Mayhugh
Wall
Jenkins
Braley
Stamm
Miller
Getka
Huntley
McBride
Crisham

For those of you on the list, I only have a mailing address for Ed Getka, Bob Huntley, and David Miller (work address.)  If you'd like to receive a CD, please IM me with a mailing address and a list of the courses for which you'd like photos.

For those of you not on the list, if you have an interest in photos for any of the courses we played this week please let me know by IM and I'll add you to the list.

Thanks again to everyone for a great time.  The pressure is on for the Dixie Cup this fall.  Hoping everyone (myself included) can make it.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2008, 10:47:28 PM »
Well,

I guess I'll throw a few photos up.  I put a few on the Pacific Grove thread and here are a few more of the MPCC shore course.  Just a perfect day with great company, an awesome setting and a terrific golf course. An extra special thanks to our host Bob Huntley for being so gracious with his time and allowing a few of us to come out and play the Shore course.

The approach shot into the par 5 6th hole.  The hole is framed perfectly with the rock outcropping that serves dualy as the tee for 11.

The approach into the 8th green with the lovely Pacific in the background

The approach into the par 5 10th green.  Just a magnificent setting for a green.

Looking back down the 10th:

The back side of 11 tee box showing the steps up the back.

And the tee shot to the 11th where Mr. Huntley is the proud owner of a Hole in One.  :)

Looking back down the 12th fairway.  The plaque on the rock contains a Mike Stanz quote that outlines his goal of blending in the course with its surroundings and providing a world class experience for those who play her:

The approach to 13:

A look at the 16th hole from the 15th green:

Another look at the enormity of the waste bunker on 16:

« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 10:49:30 PM by Kalen Braley »

J_ Crisham

« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2008, 10:53:15 PM »
Kalen, Great pictures and yet they hardly convey the magnitude of the true beautyat MPCC!

Tim Bert

« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2008, 10:58:15 PM »
Kalen - Thanks for sharing nice views of a few holes where I hit beautiful drives and atrocious "approach shots."  Oh wait, that was the entire round.   ;D ;D

Mike Benham

« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2008, 01:35:14 AM »
People were having fun out there?  Damn, I was (not) grinding my way through two matches ...

Thanks to the Captain putting me out last, hoping that my match didn't mean anything ... at least Spaulding is not a pro ... and his hat did not come with a free bowl of soup.

Jordan has a fine game, is a sharp dresser and is about to enjoy the best 4, 5 or 6 years of his life ;) ... BUT, I did out drive him on the first hole at Bayonet, so I have that going for me, which is nice.

It was good to put faces to names, see some old faces and play some golf.  Heck even Shivas made it, as did John Kirk (John and I grew up about 3 miles from each other and that is eerie, some how we will figure out where we have crossed paths as yutes ...).

Sir Bob, Mr. McBride, Peter P., Pete L. and John K, I should have hung out at the bar one of those nights ...

Looking forward to what the boys down South have planned for next year ...

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Reef Wilson

« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2008, 02:16:00 AM »
 ;D
What a treat to play a great game with great guys in great places!

Thanks to all for making this new guy feel so welcome. And mucho, mucho gracias to all who made it happen.

Such a fine variety of courses and the format was just the right combination of fun, camaraderie and competition.

I also was a victim of the Elvins juggernaut. His great play on the back 9 at Bayonet was apparently just a warm up.

Thrilled to hear KPVII is already in the works! Count me in.

Reef

John Mayhugh

« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2008, 08:39:58 AM »
To those of you that have been promised photos:

Please understand that I've got quite a bit to sort through.  I like to organize, edit if necessary, and label, which takes some time.  I'm targeting a two to three week period to get them settled, and then I'll start burning CDs.  I hope to have a delivery date by Memorial Day.

I have the following folks on my list to send a CD:
Mayhugh
Wall
Jenkins
Braley
Stamm
Miller
Getka
Huntley
McBride
Crisham

For those of you on the list, I only have a mailing address for Ed Getka, Bob Huntley, and David Miller (work address.)  If you'd like to receive a CD, please IM me with a mailing address and a list of the courses for which you'd like photos.

For those of you not on the list, if you have an interest in photos for any of the courses we played this week please let me know by IM and I'll add you to the list.

Thanks again to everyone for a great time.  The pressure is on for the Dixie Cup this fall.  Hoping everyone (myself included) can make it.

I'm also happy to share my photos as well.  Just let me know.  My collection can be sent on a single CD, while Tim's might end up being a DVD boxed set. :D

One of the only hassles of taking pictures on the course is labeling and editing when you get home.  I'm hoping to have mine done this week.

By the way, Tim, if there's a better place to drive around lost than the Peninsula, I don't know where it would be.  GREAT pics of the Dunes course.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2008, 08:56:02 AM »
Jordan has a fine game, is a sharp dresser and is about to enjoy the best 4, 5 or 6 years of his life ;) ... BUT, I did out drive him on the first hole at Bayonet, so I have that going for me, which is nice.
I think Jordan is deserving of the best dressed award, but only if we establish a modern division (say post-1980).  Not sure many others on the trip could pull off the white belt.  Here he is post-birdie on the 18th at Pasa, accompanied by Bill McBride, Steve Pieracci, & Tim Bert. 

Best dressed classic division should go to either Bob Huntley (beautiful pink Yale golf shirt & matching socks on Saturday) or Jack Crisham who was well appointed every day. 

Scott Szabo

« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2008, 08:56:57 AM »
Gents,

Please keep the stories and photos coming for those of us who were not fortunate enough to be able to attend the KP.  The views are simply incredible!

Scott
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Jordan Wall

« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2008, 09:44:10 AM »
Shnazzy John, just shnazzy.

Pretty friggin cool!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2008, 10:34:55 AM »
Jordan has a fine game, is a sharp dresser

OK, now we need pics to prove Jordan was there. You just described quite an imposter for the Jordan that we know here in the Pacific Northwest!

EDIT: Ok so there is a picture of someone masquarading as Jordan. Check out his picture in the Pacific Northwest Golfer magazine that just came out and see if the two to pictures look like the same person. I think not! At least this impersonator had the sense to wear a pink shirt to gain some credibility. However, this impersonator doesn't quite understand the awful shades of pink our Jordan picks.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 10:40:28 AM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jordan Wall

« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2008, 10:37:24 AM »
Oh - notice the line ironed down each pant leg.  Very important

John Mayhugh

« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2008, 11:00:03 AM »
Jordan has definitely eschewed the untucked shirt look that many people seemed to be expecting. 

I wish that I had a good photo of him in his white Lacoste shirt and black shorts with the faint white pinstripes, all neatly pressed.  I didn't know how to iron when I was 18.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back