News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Benham

King's Putter VI 2008 Update
« on: April 25, 2008, 05:38:09 PM »
Lacking the technology of Longines, results from the early rounds are filtering there way in.

Pajaro, in advance of the Apple City Amateur, was playing wickedly firm and fast this morning and the resulting matches are, allegedly, all-square.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 12:01:43 AM by Mike Benham »
"... and I liked the guy ..."

K. Krahenbuhl

Re: King's Putter V?? 2008
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 05:52:44 PM »
Lacking the technology of Longines, results from the early rounds are filtering there way in.

Pajaro, in advance of the Apple City Amateur, was playing wickedly firm and fast this morning and the resulting matches are, allegedly, all-square.

I've been checking the weather reports...it looks like a beautiful weekend on the peninsula.

PThomas

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 06:40:12 PM »
on the other end of the weather spectrum, while it is 80 and summer like here in Chicago today , a front is moving into the midwest...they said Wisconsin might see some snow this weekend!

*now i'm really mad...i just checked the Chicago forecast and it said rain and snow maybe here on Monday >:(
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 06:43:50 PM by Paul Thomas »
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Stan Dodd

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 01:02:09 AM »
Nor Cal sweeps Old Del Monte with Dodd sinking a 30 foot birdie on 17 to take the air out of Shivas ;D

Stan Dodd

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 01:10:54 AM »
Solid play from Capt Getka and Kalen and Huckster to take all the matches.  It looked like The ROW was winning in the bar when I left.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 01:56:29 AM »
Nor Cal sweeps Old Del Monte with Dodd sinking a 30 foot birdie on 17 to take the air out of Shivas ;D

Say it isn't so! There must have been some unfortunate brat slippage to make it possible for that to happen!
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

ed_getka

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 04:07:35 AM »
Weather is glorious and great fun is being had by all. It is always such a treat to hear peoples impressions of the courses. In some cases the sensory overload is so severe that the afflicted golfer can only mumble something about needing some time to process.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2008, 08:17:50 AM »
Solid play from Capt Getka..........

Impossible..... ;D

Sounds like you gents are having fun. Keep us posted, even if it's a lie..... :)

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Mike Benham

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2008, 11:03:56 AM »

That's my partner, hopefully you have a few left for this afternoons round ...

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2008, 09:10:17 PM »
The Friday matches had it 6-1 in favor of NorCal.  I must say that picking one's partners wisely is a great thing as mine carried me to two wins.

But there 25 points still to be won... so anything is possible.  I just know I left it in good hands.
 ;D

« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 11:01:52 AM by Tom Huckaby »

Mike Benham

Re: King's Putter VI 2008 Update
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2008, 12:05:33 AM »
Pieracci sinks a "Fleisher-esque" chip from just off the back of the 18th green to win the hole and halve the match against Wall / Ball.

The weather was glorious and the course (Bayonet), well, interesting.

Robert_Ball

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2008, 12:58:36 AM »
Yes it was a fine chip, Mike. But I should point out that Pete L just announced during dinner that he has a "special feeling" about tomorrow! ;)  Current standings are NoCal 11.5  ROW 6.5.

rchesnut

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2008, 08:04:58 PM »
Shivas, you ducked out of Pasa just in time...3 homeowners came up to the clubhouse just after you left town, one was bleeding pretty badly and all of them were arguing about which plaintiff's firm to hire.  I promised them that I'd get your address for purposes of serving process, please forward it when you get back.   

Rob C

James Bennett

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2008, 08:10:51 PM »
Anyone know of a good lawyer?  Shivas might need one. :o

I still remember my horrendous tee shot at Lakeside, which must have (just) missed everything on the wrong side of the fence.  Must be a California thing.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

John Keenan

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2008, 10:33:58 PM »
Pictures gentleman please
The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2008, 10:36:55 PM »
Pictures gentleman please

Translation- Obligatory Ass Pics, please. (refrain from the brat slippage pics, this is a pg rated website)

:)
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Adam Clayman

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2008, 10:48:22 PM »
Shiv, You got nutt'in to worry about. 4 Mil in that hood is a tear down.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Steve Pieracci

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2008, 01:41:55 AM »
Shivas,
I think the fact that Pete L. and John VDB were using your ass to determine distances through their range finders at PG is a bigger compliment.  ;D

Kalen Braley

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2008, 02:52:45 AM »
A great time indeed, I can concur the event was a hoot!!!

After a heroic effort by the RoW and actually winning Sundays singles matches, alas they came up short and NorCal won 18-14.

Allegedly there is an ass pic of me floating around there somwhere.  My ass being in the generous proportions that it is, it likely fills the whole picture.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2008, 03:21:15 AM »
What fun!

I was 0-1-1 or 1-1-1 depending on the first match.

Pieracci kicked my ass 2&1 today, making four twenty plus foot putts.  I thought I played well too - hell, birdied 8 and 18 (Doak didn't make 18 hard enough LOL), and two putted from the bottom of #16 126 feet up to a back pin. 
Pierraci though - screwed me twice.  Had the match won at Bayonet on 18 before his impossible chip in from outer space behind the green.  Bayonet itself was interesting by the way, but's thats a whole different story.

Pacific Grove was fantastic.  An epic skins game with that Robert Ball guy handed me another close loss.  However, since we were the first group off that day, and some locals went off the back and ended up ahead of us, we found some extra time around the greens.  Alas, we played h-o-r-s-e for five or so holes after we finished putting out and I won each time so I know Robert got lucky with the match.

Pasatiempo was amazing.  So was Spyglass.  And anyone who talks low of Pebble Beach is on crack.
What a wonderful trip!
Good day and good night.

- Jordan
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 10:12:20 AM by Jordan Wall »

John Mayhugh

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2008, 07:26:53 AM »
I'm sitting in Atlanta's airport waiting for my flight back to Louisville and finally had time to read some GCA posts.  I can't say enough about how great this trip was.  I've never enjoyed a golf trip more and it was a shame for it to end, but my feet will welcome the break. 

The guys from Northern California were nice enough to include me on the winning team.  My partners deserve all the credit in the team matches, especially Bob Huntley's friend Bill Brown.  In addition to being a really gracious host, that man can play!  Somehow I doubt he is saying the same about me.....

I have several hundred pictures, which is probably equivalent to 1/3 of what Tim Bert took.  I'll try to get these resized and labeled and posted (the good ones) sometime later this week.  Unfortunately I wasn't thinking and didn't get too many pics of my fellow players in action.  Here are a few of the more memorable photos:

MPCC Shore Course 11th hole.  What an amazing vista.  It's hard to really concentrate on playing the hole when you get up to that tee.

The par 3 third hole at Pasatiempo.  I made a 7 here and don't think I was the only person to do so. 

Pasatiempo ends with a par 3.  That green and that hole location make a great match play finish.

I loved the 14th fairway at Pasa.  I didn't intend to, but got to play from the bottom of the gully.

Pacific Grove played fast and firm.  That back nine was a blast.  Here's a view from the 14th tee.  The 13th green is worthy of more discussion later.

The courses were great, but the best part of this trip was the people.  I'm really grateful to Ed Getka, Stan Dodd, Bob Huntley, & Tom Huckaby for all they did to put this event together.  My only regret was that I didn't have a chance to play with everyone because I sure would have liked to.  Guess that's what future events are for!

At the dinner, we made sure to toast Ran for being the guy that made the GCA discussion group (and therefore events like this) happen.  Those that haven't participated in an event are really missing out.  It's SO MUCH better to play with other GCA geeks.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2008, 09:55:51 AM »
WAY TO GO NORCAL STUDS!!!!

So now the Putter (or the symbolic essence of it anyway) is back in the rightful northerly part of our great state.  It's been far far too long.  I couldn't be prouder of our heroic team. 

Kalen, when you get a chance, either post here or send me all the results... these must be saved for posterity.

I am very very glad to hear a good time was had by all.  Again apologies I missed the weekend, but man Friday was a blast.

TH

ps - Pieracci over Wall straight up?  A 5 beats a 1?  Yowza....  ;D

David Stamm

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2008, 11:06:43 AM »
A wonderful time! It was great to finally meet everyone in person that I have come to know on Ran's site. I feel proud to be part of such a great group of guys. I enjoyed the company of all. I would only ask for forgiveness to those that had to witness my battles with El Hosel on Sat and Sun.  :'( We should all be proud of being part of such a fantastic event and kudo's to Ed, Stan, Rob C, Steve and Bob for setting up the daily activities. (If I missed anyone, I do apologize).
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2008, 11:10:29 AM »
David - rumors were that you were going to take the reins for organizing next year.... true?

As proven this year once again, the only way these things happen is if people just take the initiative and do it.  Get an idea, solicity opinion, make a decision, set a date, make the calls.  That's what we did this year (with of course Ed Getka doing the lion's share!) and I did in the past, Moriarty, Tommy... it only happens if one guy tends to MAKE it happen.

So no pressure.

;D

David Stamm

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2008, 11:18:43 AM »
An announcement from myself and Robert Ball will be forthcoming. I just hope we can do as good a job as was done this year. Very big act to follow! :o
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back