News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

Twixt Chicago and Minneapolis OT
« on: April 21, 2008, 03:17:48 PM »
Two British friends of mine are driving from Chicago to Minneapolis, leaving Chicago May 21st to be in Minneapolis May 24th. They've asked me to enquire where they might/should play golf 22nd and 23rd. He is a past Captain and President and his wife is the current Lady Vice-Captain of Wilmslow Golf Club. They are not looking for free golf or invitations, just advice. I should welcome your suggestions.

Mark Bourgeois

Re: Twixt Chicago and Minneapolis OT
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 03:31:49 PM »
Mark

As they will be traveling with a proper currency they could "splurge" on a trip to the American Club.

A very very nice resort that's a shrine of sorts to two legitimate jewels in the American crown: Pete Dye and bathroom fixtures. (Thanks to Herb, no  Shanks for us!)

Mapquest says it adds just over two hours to the trip time...

Mark

Jason Topp

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 04:01:23 PM »
Mark:

Places I would recommend:

Madison, WI

With the University of Wisconsin and the lake near campus it is a wonderful town.  I do not know the golf courses there.

Rochester, MN

A nice town with a terrific (although overtreed) Tillinghast course.  http://www.rgcc.org/

A bed and breakfast near Lake Pepin

This is a beautiful area where the Mississippi River widens out and slows down.  The Harbor View cafe is a terrific restaurant that does not take reservations.  You give them your name and then plan on spending a couple of hours strolling through the small town. 

http://www.harborviewpepin.com/

Mississippi National (lowlands 18 avoid the highlands 18) provides scenic golf on some pretty steep terrain.

Phil McDade

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 04:16:11 PM »
Mark:

Several thoughts:

-- The Sheboygan-Kohler-area courses (Blackwolf Run's River and Meadow Valleys courses, as well as Whistling Straits and the next-door Irish Course) are the state's premeir destination courses. Combined with accomodations at the American Club, this is certainly the top-of-the-line that you can get in Wisconsin. Details here: http://www.destinationkohler.com/  Not inexpensive by any means, but certainly the best public golf and accomodations in the state. Caveat: Something of a detour on the way from Chicago to Minneapolis; Sheboygan is an hour north of Milwaukee in good traffic, and then it's another two hours from Sheboygan back to the interstate that takes you to Minneapolis.

-- A somewhat lesser detour is Lawsonia, much trumpeted on GCA threads. About an hour detour one-way from the interstate to Minneapolis. Near the resort-ish town of Green Lake, an idyllic part of central Wisconsin. Details here: http://lawsonia.com/lawsonia/index.htm You can stay on the grounds at Lawsonia (no booze, natch...) or opt for something like the Heidel House, a very nice choice in Green Lake: http://www.heidelhouse.com/ An old Bendelow course, Tuscambia, which dates to pre-1900, is right next door to the Heidel House; something of a museum piece of a course. The Links course at Lawsonia is the much-preferred course; worth playing twice before any of the others.

-- A similar detour in length would be Erin Hills, northwest of the Milwaukee area. Much anticipated in these parts, said to be a candidate for the US Open, with wide variety of opinions from regular GCA posters. Details here: http://www.erinhills.com/

-- In the schlocky Wisconsin Dells area, right off the interstate about an hour north of Madison, sits Trappers Turn, a very nice course designed by Wisconsin's Andy North, a two-time US Open champion. A nice stroll, some good scenery, some challenge without being over the top. Details here: http://trappersturn.com/ A new course open this year in the Wisconsin Dells area is Wild Rock, which is getting some good initial reviews and is much anticipated because it's done by the same folks (sans Whitten) who did Erin Hills. See here: http://www.wildrockgolf.com/

-- In Eau Claire, about two hours east of Minneapolis, sits Wild Ridge. Details here:
http://www.wildridgegolf.com/ I have not played, but it's gotten good reviews from folks on the GCA board and elsewhere.

-- Also in Eau Claire is Eau Claire CC, which I believe is private but probably open to an inquiry. Subject of a fairly famous GCA thread by frequent poster John Conley, who absolutely raves about it. See this: http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,3001.0.html I'm guessing an IM to John might help with access questions. A good club website with fairly extensive details on the course: http://www.ecgcc.com/

-- Pro golfer Tom Lehman built Troy Burne on land near the bluffs of the St. Croix River that separates Wisconsin and Minnesota. A 10-minute detour off the interstate, and about an hour from downtown Minneapolis. Details here: http://www.troyburne.com/view.asp?id=396&page=10683 I have not played; it's gotten pretty good reviews from folks in Wisconsin.

-- Just north and a bit east of Hudson is New Richmond Golf Club, with 27 holes. A low-key course that nonetheless is often used by the Wisconsin Golf Association for tournaments. Details here: http://www.nrgolfclub.com/

The GCA board has plenty of Chicago and Minneapolis-area posters who are better in those states than me. This is a decent run-down of what's available in Wisconsin relatively near the direct route from Chicago to Minneapolis. Feel free to email/IM if you need more help with anything Wisconsin-related for their visit; be happy to help.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 04:39:29 PM »
Just North of Duluth is the Quarry at Giant Ridge, one of my favorites if they have time once they make it to Minn.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

John_Conley

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 12:53:38 AM »
McDade already spoke for me!  Some of these mentions are not on the way and would take them on a side-trip.  No problem, they have the time.

Getting to the Twin Cities isn't a bad thing either.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 05:20:46 AM »
Thank you enormously for such a rapid and comprehensive response. I've passed it on to my friends and I'll let you know how thngs progress.

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 07:51:06 AM »
Looking at McDade's comprehensive list:

Troy Burne is a great value especially the twighlight rate of $60.

Erin Hills will also be hosting the amateur and most likely the Open in 2017 so they might like having played it. Times are booking fast I heard though.
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Dan Boerger

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 08:09:02 AM »
Also, tell your friends NOT to speed on 94. I've had my fair share of tickets on that run!
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, 12:19:32 PM »
Dan, welcome advice! Sorry to hear of your unfortunate moments. Mark.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2008, 12:45:07 PM »
I nominate Phil McDade for Wisconsin Chamber of Commerce award!  ;D

Yes, Phil covers it nicely. 

Mark, one thing you didn't mention is what type of golfers your friends are in terms of those that lean towards traditional golf, or are they looking for a more unique American golf experience.  Are they avid walkers?   Are they comfortable with high prices? 

I'm not sure about the private club to private club letter writing to receive an invitation or guest privelege at some of our private courses.   But if so, that also opens up some very good possibilities.  If there are letters of introduction accepted, and they seek traditional old and beautiful clubs, The Milwaukee CC, and Blue Mound CC in Milwaukee suburb of Wauwatosa, might also be clubs they might enjoy.

As stated, the travel will be relatively easy with not too inconvenient side trips.  Kohler is indeed strait up interstate I-43 and a just two miles west of the interstate hwy on hyw23 in Sheboygan.  Highway 23 runs directly from Kohler to Green Lake for Lawsonia.   If not going to Kohler, but like to see Erin Hills, U.S. Highway 41 branches out of Milwaukee and Erin Hills in the town of Erin near Holy Hill is only about 8 miles west off the major highway 41 on State road 167.  You can get right back on 41 about 35 miles north to hwy 23 (the same one that comes out of Kohler) and procede west to Green Lake, Lawsonia.  Blue Mound CC is very close to US 41 back there in Milwaukee-Wauwatosa.  Milwaukee CC is off I-43 north side of Milwaukee on the way to Kohler.  Either way 41 or 43, once at Lawsonia off 23, continue west and you hit Interstate highways that will lead you to Minneapolis. 

Happily, our long harsh winter (one of the worst in memory) is past.  Wisconsin should be greening up and budding nicely by then.  ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mark Smolens

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2008, 01:20:51 PM »
I didn't see Brown Deer on anyone's list.  I have found it to be a well-conditioned, public access course (and it's always fun to play a course where the big kids on Tour play) that's very close to the highway.  In the northern part of lllinois, there's Thunderhawk and Shepard's Crook (a very underrated, understated Keith Foster Design in Zion).  Sounds like a fun excursion.

If your friends haven't been to Kohler, as Mr. McDade's post points out it's definitely worth the trip, notwithstanding the expense.  The accommodations there are first rate, and the spa makes a fine finish to a day of golf.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2008, 01:22:03 PM »
I can recommend Lake Arrowhead (the older of the two courses) in Nekoosa on Highway 13 south of Wisconsin Rapids.  A Killian and Nugent course, laid out and hand built mostly by moi. :D
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2008, 01:27:14 PM »
Yet more ecellent advice. I'll ask them about their golfing tastes and report back.

PThomas

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2008, 02:02:20 PM »
depending where they are driving from Mark they may encounter highway construction and some BAD traffic..........they are working on the Edens expressway, for one....
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2008, 03:08:58 PM »
Also there is a great little place for a meal and pie that is TO DIE FOR off exit 88 (osseo i think) on 94 on the way into MN. The Norske Nooke something like that. Banana Cream is my fav.
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Dan Kelly

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2008, 03:18:39 PM »
As someone who has driven between the Twin Cities and Chicago on 94 many, many, many times (one ticket, in the dangerously well-patrolled Dane County, in 1974), I say:

(1) Anything within 10 miles an hour over the limit will be perfectly safe from the troopers.

(2) It's ... not a great drive (understatement) -- especially if your friends have the time (and they do) to do a slower trip.

I recommend heading westward to the mighty Mississippi (maybe on I-88) and driving up the river, along the slower, more scenic roads.

Is there something in Galena, Illinois that's worth playing? I don't know. Anyone? The General?

I've not played either of them, but people whose opinions I respect have good praise for both Rochester CC (cf. Jason Topp, above) and Winona (Minn.) CC.

Jason, or anyone: The Jewel (Lake City, Minn. -- by Hale Irwin)? Somerby (near Rochester; like Troy Burne, by Fought and Lehman: http://www.somerbygolfclub.com/view.asp?id=204&page=3805)? Any good?

Eau Claire is nice if you decide to stay on 94. So are New Richmond (original 18; haven't played the new 9), Troy Burne (better than the mounding looks from the road), and StoneRidge (Bobby Weed; just east of St. Paul).

Lots and lots to choose from in the TC, particularly if you have private connections.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 03:40:17 PM by Dan Kelly »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2008, 04:02:08 PM »
Troy Burne and Weeds Stone Ridge are both very good! And, on the way to MSP from CHI.

If you have private connections, there are lots of choices with White Bear Yacht Club and Somerset both east side of St. Paul the best choices and Stanley Thompsons North Oaks also great.  Somerset is famous for not letting Bob Hope play, and the day I played, I was delayed because my host was seeing W and Mrs. Bush off from their overnight stay at their house.  Pretty tough to access.......

In MSP, the UM course is still pretty authentic Raynor, as well and worth a look for the Raynorphile.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

SL_Solow

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2008, 04:47:10 PM »
The General is on an interesting site with some good elevation changes but it is long and quite tight.  Not that interesting.  Lawsonia is a much better choice if the more direct route is the choice.

Jason McNamara

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2008, 06:10:45 PM »
Also there is a great little place for a meal and pie that is TO DIE FOR off exit 88 (osseo i think) on 94 on the way into MN. The Norske Nooke something like that. Banana Cream is my fav.

Similarly, the Kiltie in Oconomowoc would be the place to stop for a blueberry shake if returning to I-94 from Erin Hills.

Note to Mark:  I sent you an email off-line.

Dan Moore

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2008, 07:16:04 PM »
If they are looking for the best golf I'd go with those who suggest Lawsonia, Whistling Straits Kohler etc, or Erin Hills. 

If they like architecture other than that found on golf courses an interesting sidetrip might be to visit Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesen home and studio in Spring Green, Wisconsin which is about 40-45 minutes West of Madison.  Nearby is a nice, enjoyable Robt Trent Jones course affiliated with the House on the Rock Resort. 

From Spring Green they could take the back roads through some nice areas of Wisconsin's dairyland to Nekoosa and Jeff Brauer's Lake Arrowhead. 

http://www.taliesinpreservation.org/

http://www.thehouseontherock.com/HOTR_Lodging_Resort.htm
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

David Schofield

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2008, 10:14:46 PM »
Didn't think I'd ever see the Norskie Nook mentioned on this website...  Kudos to you, sir!

I second whoever mentioned the Harbor View Cafe in Pepin, WI.  They somehow fill the place every day in a town of less than 1,000, so the food can't be all bad.  The only course I can think of near there is The Jewel in Lake City, MN (Hale Irwin).

Dan Kelly

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2008, 10:44:14 PM »
Just North of Duluth is the Quarry at Giant Ridge, one of my favorites if they have time once they make it to Minn.

If they're going to The Quarry (which is more than "just" north of Duluth), they should keep on going -- to the northernmost link on the Jeff Brauer Trail: The Wilderness at Fortune Bay, on Lake Vermilion. Lots of fun. Stay at Ludlow's Island resort, and have them deliver you to the course by boat.

The Wilderness's slogan: "A Few Miles North of Ordinary."

I'm pretty sure that the "Ordinary" they're a few miles north of is not The Quarry -- which I highly recommend.

As for the Norske Nook: OVERRATED! But charming, yes.

John_Conley

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2008, 01:45:33 AM »
Winona is awesome, but it has been renamed.  If someone is driving from Chicago to Minneapolis the ones in Eau Claire on on the way.  Many of these recommendations are S or N by a good deal.

Spring Green is decent and on the way to Winona.  The stuff N of Milwaukee (haven't played) is great by all accounts.  Lawsonia is a real treat.  Lake Arrowhead is good and only a minor detour.

How about University Ridge one day and Eau Claire CC the next?  That's pretty much on 94, and it allows for a trip to the Norske Nook.  We ate there on the way to my Grandma's funeral.  The only time I went there but my parents went occasionally.  Good pie, I concur.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2008, 09:07:20 AM »
If someone is driving from Chicago to Minneapolis the ones in Eau Claire on on the way.

Well, yes, they're on the way if you're going to drive I-94 -- which is a lousy way for travelers to see what's worth seeing in the Upper Midwest, IMO.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back