News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Pitner

Re: Two Good Reasons To Take A Cart
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2009, 01:36:53 PM »

When I rode with Tommy we had wonderful discussions. If I would have walked like the other two players there is no way that would have happened. The highlight for me was not the course, not my score, but listening to Tommy. I could have enjoyed the course more and the other two players more if I would have chosen to walk, BUT not Tommy. I am a richer man because I used a cart.

Anthony,

Why don't you and Tommy have lunch or dinner or drinks?  I'm certainly not against some conversation on the golf course, but if it's conversation you're after, I'd suggest a venue other than a golf course.  While not as militant as Melvyn, I am somewhat embarrassed that we Americans are virtually the sole advocates of carts.  They're not good for golf courses and they're certainly not good for golfers.  Obesity is a real problem in this country and carts are enablers, I'm afraid.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 06:27:36 PM by Tim Pitner »

Garland Bayley

Re: When were carts first introduced at Merion?
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2009, 01:47:41 PM »
WOW, my first participation in a Merion thread.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

PThomas

Re: Two Good Reasons To Take A Cart
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2009, 01:48:33 PM »
This subject will not go away

I think 1499 of us wishes it will.

here's one of the 1499 also wishing it would

how many times do we have to read the same thing over and over and over and over and............. ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Kenny Baer

« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2009, 01:50:45 PM »
I agree with Melvyn 100%; I am American and grew up on cart golf, it is almost as if they are 2 different games (Cart Golf and Walking).  Carts are ruining the game no doubt a stinkin bout it. IMO.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2009, 02:03:27 PM »
WOW, my first participation in a Merion thread.

Code 21.6

Garland Bayley

« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2009, 02:20:58 PM »

For me, riding in a golf cart if one if physically fit or young enough to walk is a significant character flaw.

And it probably leads to arguing about Merion!

I'm with you on that Bill.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Anthony Gray

« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2009, 02:27:38 PM »
  When I was young (First to third grade) we lived over the hill from a golf course. It was a 9 hole muni. We would spend Christmas together opening presents and every year my grandparents would visit in the summer.

Anthony

« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 02:29:14 PM by Anthony Gray »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2009, 02:33:00 PM »
  When I was young (First to third grade) we lived over the hill from a golf course. It was a 9 hole muni. We would spend Christmas together opening presents and every year my grandparents would visit in the summer.

Anthony

See now there is the character flaw. Everyone know you go to grandma's for Christmas.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2009, 02:51:24 PM »

One time I was playing in a fivesome and one of the guys was saying that his wife went to high school with Larry Bird.

Anthony

Garland Bayley

« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2009, 04:51:54 PM »
A clear disadvantage to a Anthony riding in a cart is that one is unable to full time see the bright plummage of his satorial display.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2009, 05:05:43 PM »
A clear disadvantage to a Anthony riding in a cart is that one is unable to full time see the bright plummage of his satorial display.

Garpland,

I took some patients to a local club a couple of years ago and half way through uor round the caddies started joining in our cogresation. And it turns out that one of the caddies had a cousin that had an eye patch.

Anthony

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #61 on: May 21, 2009, 06:13:42 PM »

Michael Blake, Paul Thomas and not forgetting my ever-faithful friend Pat Craig.

Thank you for your vote of confidence. The knowledge that you speak for 1499 fellow members of GCA.com is most impressive.

Ops, no sorry, it looks like you do not, but then those who want to censor others always seem to believe that they have the authority to do so. Hitler, Mussolini, Saloth Sar (that’s Pol Pot) to name but a few also had the same belief and we know what happened to them in the end.

IMHO the subject is linked very closely with GCA so should be aired as often as possible. Due to this close link, we need to make others aware of the potential problems. If just a few at each club gave up the cart and started walking, others may take note, then who knows what may happen.

Gentlemen, if you are going to have a go at me please get your facts right otherwise you weaken your own case.

Hope you continue to enjoy your golf.

Melvyn 

PThomas

« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2009, 07:31:04 PM »
comparing people here to Hitler?  you ve reached a new low

go ahead and post whatever the hell you want, i'm done wasting my time on someone like you
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2009, 08:08:27 PM »

Mr Paul Thomas

Thank you for permission to post what I want. Most generous of you sir. I will no doubt be accepting your kind offer.

As for “boring everybody with your endless rants on the same subjects”, you may well be right but I am disappointed that you feel that way. However, as I believe I mentioned the cost of these carts/tracks and on going maintenance is linked IMHO to the design process that it needs to be at the forefront when discussing golf course design/architecture.

Also thank you for your IM. May I suggest you relax and enjoy a game of golf

Melvyn

Garland Bayley

« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2009, 08:31:36 PM »
comparing people here to Hitler?  you ve reached a new low

go ahead and post whatever the hell you want, i'm done wasting my time on someone like you

Paul,

You claimed that 1499 members of the website wanted the topic to go away. That was totally misleading. Who do you want to be compared to? Madoff?

Rob Rigg

« Reply #65 on: May 22, 2009, 01:30:34 AM »
Walking is an integral part of the game and vitally important if one wishes to fully enjoy and comprehend what the architect has created.

So, just like anything else discussed on GCA, if someone states that in some way, shape or form, cart golf is superior to real golf, people will object.

If you don't want to read what others think then don't look at the thread.

Anthony has his opinion which he is entitled to as much as anyone else. Obviously the ability to speak with Tommy was very memorable and that aspect of the thread was a positive one - but to think Mr Gray did not think there would be a negative response to a post lauding the benefits of a cart is comical.

Carts are the worst "golfing" invention ever. While they have allowed the construction of a few courses of note, they have also allowed the construction of thousands of crappy golf courses, scarred the landscape of many of the nations finest courses and contributed further to the obesity of an already overweight nation.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back