News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RJ_Daley

Re: Ballyneal on the cover of Golfweek...Who knew the ocean was there?
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2008, 07:27:28 PM »
John, there are other theories, including an "impact geology" theory where the proponent thinks that the sand hills were left as a huge sand outflow deposit of alluvial sand material coming out of a cataclysmic melt down from astroid impact in the far north, and held back into the sand hill region by damming effects.

Mainstreamers still think it is a windblown phenominon from more or most recent geologic ages.

Actually, that it was the bottom of the ancient ocean is begining to loose steam as the conventional theory.  Frankly, the bottom of the ancient ocean seems so logical.   I think they don't find enough sea critters in fossil records within the strata of the sand hills to validate that ancient ocean theory so much...

But, I could very likely be wrong...  ::) ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2008, 09:52:12 PM »
If you look at the photo of #9 at Rock Creek Cattle Co website it looks like - oh forget it.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2008, 09:54:35 PM »
So that course is only #13? 

I do need to travel more this year, even if the ocean is painted in.  ;)

It is the the best modern course I have ever played.  Please feel free to schedule a trip without the Sand Hills Huckaby mandatory visit.  The course stands on its own and deserves your full attention.  As a matter of fact giving that it is a walking only course the cooler months when Sand Hills is closed may be the prime time to play.

note:  At no time during my 9.5 hour vice to vice to vice road trip this afternoon did I find time to look over the free copy at my club.  Maybe tomorrow.

John:  sigh.  You obviously truly enjoy being a royal asshole.

For one and all, once again, I never in any way stated, and nor do I feel, that it is mandatory to see both of these places on a trip to that part of the country.  This is prick Kavanaugh being his asshole self once again.

TH

Huck,

Here is you quote from 2006 explaining that you could not go all that way unless Sand Hills was included:

Tom Huckaby

Re:Bandon, good golf but bad....
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2006, 11:40:19 am »   
John:

Touche.  I just don't have the quantities of time available to make a trip all the way to Nebraska and just play Wildhorse.  Unfortunately if I'm going to go that far, it will be to play Sand Hills, which I have made very clear is my favorite golf course on this planet.

If I lived anywhere near NE, I'd play Wild Horse all the time and be completely content, hoping to be able to visit Sand Hills nirvana from time to time.

As for Ballyneal, well... I just do like to see new courses, and do prefer to play many courses rather than the same one all the time.

So sure my statement was a bit of hyperbole - it just wasn't intended to be any manifesto on how I handle golf travel or what my personal preferences are, but rather just a statement as to how great Wild Horse is, and all I need in terms of amenities.

Because that part is 100% gospel truth.  For me it's golf 95%, amenities 5%.

TH
ps - many of my college buds with whom I do these trips are quite opposite from me.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 11:46:20 am by Tom Huckaby »   Report to moderator     Logged

Paul Richards

« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2008, 09:58:18 PM »
John

I love you, but when I read your rantings here, it reminds me of why I choose not to spend much time at this website anymore.

And that makes me sad.

:-[
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2008, 10:01:17 PM »
John

I love you, but when I read your rantings here, it reminds me of why I choose not to spend much time at this website anymore.

And that makes me sad.

Paul,

What sent you over the edge?  Tell me what you want me to do differently.  btw.  Congrats on the quote in Golfweek...16th at Cypress, sweet.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 10:09:03 PM by John Kavanaugh »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2008, 10:54:53 PM »
So that course is only #13? 

I do need to travel more this year, even if the ocean is painted in.  ;)

It is the the best modern course I have ever played.  Please feel free to schedule a trip without the Sand Hills Huckaby mandatory visit.  The course stands on its own and deserves your full attention.  As a matter of fact giving that it is a walking only course the cooler months when Sand Hills is closed may be the prime time to play.

note:  At no time during my 9.5 hour vice to vice to vice road trip this afternoon did I find time to look over the free copy at my club.  Maybe tomorrow.

John:  sigh.  You obviously truly enjoy being a royal asshole.

For one and all, once again, I never in any way stated, and nor do I feel, that it is mandatory to see both of these places on a trip to that part of the country.  This is prick Kavanaugh being his asshole self once again.

TH

Huck,

Here is you quote from 2006 explaining that you could not go all that way unless Sand Hills was included:

Tom Huckaby

Re:Bandon, good golf but bad....
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2006, 11:40:19 am »   
John:

Touche.  I just don't have the quantities of time available to make a trip all the way to Nebraska and just play Wildhorse.  Unfortunately if I'm going to go that far, it will be to play Sand Hills, which I have made very clear is my favorite golf course on this planet.

If I lived anywhere near NE, I'd play Wild Horse all the time and be completely content, hoping to be able to visit Sand Hills nirvana from time to time.

As for Ballyneal, well... I just do like to see new courses, and do prefer to play many courses rather than the same one all the time.

So sure my statement was a bit of hyperbole - it just wasn't intended to be any manifesto on how I handle golf travel or what my personal preferences are, but rather just a statement as to how great Wild Horse is, and all I need in terms of amenities.

Because that part is 100% gospel truth.  For me it's golf 95%, amenities 5%.

TH
ps - many of my college buds with whom I do these trips are quite opposite from me.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 11:46:20 am by Tom Huckaby »   Report to moderator     Logged

For one and all, note I am through with Kavanaugh, but hopefully the rest of you can see (if you care) that this was 2006 (when I knew nothing about Ballyneal) and the question was would one go to Nebraska just to play Wildhorse.  And no, in my reality, I would not.  As for the other two, hopefully no other explanation is necessary.

One more request:  please do drop this, John, and desist from putting my name on things I do not believe.

Thanks.

Tom Huckaby
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 11:18:05 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Matt Waterbury

« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2008, 08:25:00 AM »
John

And that makes me sad.

Dear John,

As an official Nebie here, I will also weigh in and comment that you constant attempts to divert all threads to suit you personal attacks on Tom Huckaby detract from the quality of the community I thought I had joined. I do not know Mr. Huckaby from Jesus. He may very well be a donkey. I don't know you from Jesus. But I am far less uncertain of your status as a donkey.

Full disclosure: I have a vested interest in at least one club in the Holyoke/Mullen/Agar corridor. I love the region, and think it is home to the best golf courses in America.

But I have never gone there (I live in Boston) and played just one course.

John, please answer the following question honestly. You have two choices: 1) You can fly out to Bandon, and you are allowed to play one course only. You cannot even look at another course. 2) You can fly out to Bandon, play the 3 course at the resort, and take a tour of the OM progress. Which would you pay more for?

You are fooling yourself (see donkey comments, above) if you say that you would not pay more for 2). Bandon would do much less business if it only had one golf course (why, afterall, build four?) So, you see John, it's not just Huck who has a preference for playing multiple golf courses on expensive trips. It is, for all intents and purposes, everyone. Including you.

Cheerio,
mjw

Mike Golden

« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2008, 09:02:09 AM »
this website has become so much of a cluster fuck it is ridiculous.  Kavanaugh must spend way too much of his time thinking up ways to piss off people with statements that are insulting, confrontational, and stupid.  I guess reaching the pinnacle of such a noble profession must do that to someone.  Of course it could just be the liquor talking...

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2008, 09:18:53 AM »

John, please answer the following question honestly. You have two choices: 1) You can fly out to Bandon, and you are allowed to play one course only. You cannot even look at another course. 2) You can fly out to Bandon, play the 3 course at the resort, and take a tour of the OM progress. Which would you pay more for?

You are fooling yourself (see donkey comments, above) if you say that you would not pay more for 2). Bandon would do much less business if it only had one golf course (why, afterall, build four?) So, you see John, it's not just Huck who has a preference for playing multiple golf courses on expensive trips. It is, for all intents and purposes, everyone. Including you.

Cheerio,
mjw

I have been to Bandon twice and have not played the Sheep Ranch.  I recently drove through Eugene and did not feel entitled to play Eugene CC.  I go to Los Angeles all the time and have not felt entitled to play LACC.  Bandon is a single resort, not multiple privates, that I would have been just as happy to visit even if it still remained only Bandon Dunes.  I have never, never, never been accused of being a hit and runner.  

I understand that most people prefer to play as many different courses as possible on their travel dime.  I only want two things...One...To educate people that they miss out with this attitude and it is as rude as not dancing with the one who brought you.  Two...Have people who are hit and runners admit this fact up front being honest with their hosts.

You as a newbie probably would not believe that people on this board (not Huck) have actually ran to their cars after playing Cypress Point so they could make a tee time at Olympic.  How can that be viewed as anything but rude, sick behavior?  I am sure we have all been used in our lives by people who simply are parking waiting for a better ride.  It hurts and has no place in something so trivial as seeing another course when the one you are at is great onto itself.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 09:27:38 AM by John Kavanaugh »

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2008, 09:52:38 AM »
I have never, never, never been accused of being a hit and runner.  

John,

Can you please document for the board, the courses played, time and logistics of the trip where we met in Florida. If I remember correctly you "hit" only 9 holes Eagle Pines but you had to "run" and catch a plane. I know, I know you had to meet The Big Guy to make your golf year and it was just a one time thing.  :D

Between Sarge and myself, we should be be able to verify that you have included all courses on that Florida trip. Once that is verified, then the board as a group shall determine if you have ever committed "hit and run".

I have to leave at 11:45 AM for a meeting, so a timely response is appreciated.

PS. To the gentlemen and few ladies of GCA.com, I feel a Spitzer sort of day coming at GCA.com.   ;D

Jay Carstens

« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2008, 10:02:17 AM »
  Nobody loves the Sand Hills more than Paul Johnsgard and Gene Greco.

Don't forget about us native Cornhuskers.  We kind of like it too.   ;)
Play the course as you find it

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2008, 10:03:13 AM »
Sweens,

You will have to fill me in.  I remember playing nine holes with you at a public course in Florida.  Where did I go after that?  I did play Black Rock Quarry on that trip...was this the same day?  I don't think I hit and ran BRQ because to this day I still request chips and salsa be put in every clubhouse of the country.  I do love chips and salsa and beer after a round of golf.

Jay Carstens

« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2008, 10:14:05 AM »
  Contact Bluestem Books in Nebraska and buy a copy of "This Fragile Land" by Paul Johnsgard, a book about the Nebraska Sand Hills environment. 

Good call on Bluestem.  Check out their golf section too if you get a chance.  They end up with lots of my recycles and I've read way too many golf books in my life (like most everybody on this site).
Play the course as you find it

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2008, 10:23:47 AM »
I tried to inject some humor in this thread because it was becoming a bunch of personal attacks and that is not what GCA is all about.  No, I am not a moderator nor censor but I do post regularly and with the search engines available today, I could be associated with the rantings of individuals other than myself and that would not be good for me or my position.

If you want to challenge someone personally please don't do it on a thread dealing with golf course architecture, etc., - do it with personal emails.  If you feel someone is rude when they play a course and immediately leave for whatever reason what does that have to do with me or golf course architecture?  Also, please watch your language - you guys are smart enough to make a point without having to use profanity. 

If you disagree with me, fine, but send me a personal message or call me.

Jerry 

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2008, 10:34:28 AM »
Since the day Shinnecock was built next to National cluster groupings have become a vital issue in golf architecture.  How will any of us learn if discussions of etiquette are kept in the shadows?  Some people in my life go so far to say that golf plays far too important a role.  I feel that if I am going to remain a golfer, dress like a golfer, talk like a golfer and raise my children to be golfers I have a responsibilty to improve the behavior of golfers.  Architecture can not survive without golfers and the game will never grow under the current image projected by so many on this site or propagated by publications and magazines.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2008, 10:47:12 AM »
Sweens,

You will have to fill me in.  I remember playing nine holes with you at a public course in Florida.  Where did I go after that?  

Huck needs to learn how to deflect like you. It is corporate tax day, so the jousting will have to wait. I know that big corporate guys like you have staff, but some of us have to pay The Man on Monday.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2008, 10:54:35 AM »
... I have a responsibilty to improve the behavior of golfers.  Architecture can not survive without golfers and the game will never grow under the current image projected by so many on this site or propagated by publications and magazines.

Is there a rocker in the house! Please, someone go get a rocker right now, John needs one.
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

EDIT: John's post reminded be of this

« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 12:26:34 PM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Kalen Braley

« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2008, 11:01:20 AM »
I can vouch that Mr. Huckaby is neither Jesus, nor a donkey....although it would be safe to say he's very much a devoted family man and hubbie and a helluva asset to this site.

Think of J/K as the guy holding the tail trying to wag the dog.  He wags some tails on here harder than others, but once ignored, will move on to the next person.

Paul Richards

« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2008, 10:22:16 PM »
this website has become so much of a cluster fuck it is ridiculous.  Kavanaugh must spend way too much of his time thinking up ways to piss off people with statements that are insulting, confrontational, and stupid.  I guess reaching the pinnacle of such a noble profession must do that to someone.  Of course it could just be the liquor talking...

I really hate to say it, but I have to nominate this for the 'post of the year'.

:'(
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Seth Berliner

« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2008, 11:37:42 PM »
I just spoke with Dick and here is the info he gave me.  There was a LITTLE, and I emphasize LITTLE, saturation added to the photo.  Dick commented that the cross light was perfect for the shot with a polarized lens which tends to make the greens "Pop" a little more.  

For those of you familiar with Colorado summers, that is a big rainstorm brewing in the distance, a common and almost daily occurrence on the Eastern Plains.  This being the reason for the dark blues that you see.  

He also noted that Interocean Boulevard is 10 miles from Ballyneal.   ;D

Wow, this thread went downhill FAST!!  I urge you to re-read, or read for the first time if you chose to ignore it, my post from above. 

Paul Richards

« Reply #70 on: March 16, 2008, 09:09:35 AM »
Seth

Thank you for returning us to the world of the sane

I found it to be a very interesting photograph on the cover and I found Ballyneal to be a course worth all of its hype

Thanks
Paul

mike_malone

« Reply #71 on: March 16, 2008, 09:35:03 AM »
 I showed the picture to wife. Her response " That's Ballybunion, right?".
AKA Mayday

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2008, 02:06:15 PM »
John K this may be your longest leap yet from sanity. I am glad spring is around the corner for you. Please try not to mix chemicals. One cannot always predict how the mixture will effect one.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back