News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joey Smith

Got my CONFIDENTIAL GUIDE on...
« on: March 13, 2008, 01:04:06 PM »
I bought The Confidential Guide on ebay about 5 years ago.  ($475 for the record).

I loaned it to a guy here in town and lost track with him.  I ran into him this morning at his office and he said " Hey - I have something of yours".  He had it for about 2 years and had kept it in the bottom drawer of his desk. 

He is - by the way - a Belle Meade member here in Nashville.  He thought that Tom missed it a little on his comments about Belle Meade.

They have, in the last 2 years, re-opened from a total Rees Jones makeover.

It was like receiving a new gift all over again.

Joey
I've only seen one that really stinks...but I seen a lot of really good ones...

Mike Nuzzo

Re: Got my CONFIDENTIAL GUIDE on...
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 01:15:24 PM »

Was his office a pizza shop?

(*a few years ago there was a story about a pizza delivery guy over hearing a discussion by some GCA guys, and he said something to the effect - wow it's the guys from golf club atlas.  I figure by now he'd be the manager)
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 01:52:30 PM »
Nuz,

Trust me, there are no pizza shop managers at Belle Meade.

Hope you're well.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Norbert P

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 01:57:56 PM »
 I miss Ed Baker's input.  Hope he's doing well.
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

rchesnut

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 02:29:33 PM »
Over that five year period, your guide has probably doubled in value...there's one on eBay now that's offered for over $1000.  You're lucky the guy didn't leave the country with it.  I'm torn...I'd love to see a new edition with Tom's thoughts on all the new courses that he's seen over the years, on the other hand I've got 2 copies and enjoy watching them outperform the stock market. 

Brent Hutto

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 03:03:30 PM »
There don't seem to be any recent sales much past the $300 mark. At least for the moment the peak seems to have passed from the buyer's perspective although some sellers seem to be in it for the long haul and are fishing for twice that amount or more.

I'm getting ready to list my copy and would consider anything in the $200's to be very satisfactory and $300 or more an unexpected windfall. We'll see, I'll probably float mine out there when a couple of the currently running auctions have ended.

Art Roselle

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 03:52:12 PM »
I had a similar experience.  I bought my copy for peanuts in about 1995 and happened to show it to my Dad a few months ago.  He said, "I already have that book.  You gave it to me for Christmas about 10 years ago."  I had completely forgotten that I gave him one.  When I told him it was selling for over $1000 (which I thought was true), he promptly sent it back to me.  I don't know if he thought I would sell it or what, but there was no amount of convincing that could get him to keep it.

So, I magically awoke with two copies, so that I can lend one out without being such a Scrooge about when I get it back and worrying I will lose it.  it was like a surprise present, although I feel (sort of) bad about rescinding the gift to poor old dad.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back