News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Coan

Barnbougle #2 breaking ground next month
« on: March 12, 2008, 06:28:03 PM »
Was out at BD last week as part of a group of 12 and had a fabulous time (if they could only do something about those damn flies!!!).  The place is going like gangbusters as we stayed on Monday & Tuesday nights and the course and restaurant were both at full tilt.

Apparently the new course will be run as a separate entity with a partnership between the landowner/farmer and Mike Keiser from Bandon.  There was talk of making it more of a resorty type place with a private landing strip, horse riding trails, fishing, time-share units, ...

Same guy said they were planning on a bridge over the estuary next to the 15th tee to link the two so not sure how that jibes with them being run separately.

I think Bill Coore is the architect without Crenshaw.

Will be very interested to see how these two courses compare.  Our group was pretty universal in BD's praise as we all found it very fun and playable, even from the tips.  The two nines are very distictive with the front playing amongst towering dunes and the back having a much more open feel.  When I first played there 2 years ago I felt the front was the better half.  Upon return the feeling is opposite and I now view the back nine as the better half.

RJ_Daley

Re: Barnbougle #2 breaking ground next month
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 06:42:45 PM »
I'm very interested to see if it is Bill Coore as designer/architect; who his team on the ground will be?  Is there a chance of -as I've been referring to the contruction personel, "cross pollinization" - of the contruction crew? 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Scott Coan

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 06:59:36 PM »
My understanding is that they'll be looking pretty close to home (Aus/NZ) for the construction crew so I would surmise that there could be some cross-pollinization.   Then again, if they are looking to make a point of differentiation between the two courses then they may purposely choose to use a completely different crew.  The land looks very similar although I have only seen what there is from the 15th tee.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 07:43:21 PM »
How many rounds does the resort do per year?

Ash Towe

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 08:05:51 PM »
Scott,
Thanks for the news.  2 courses certainley make a trip more viable.  If Mike Clayton's effort further north opens we would have a very exciting destination.

Were any dates given for the completion/opening of the second course?

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 09:08:10 PM »
The owners were kind enough to walk me thru the topography of the land and the routing. The topography will be first class and should result in an excellent course.

I was even given a glimce of the land for the 3rd course should that come to be. Excellent
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

bakerg

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 09:39:03 PM »
Quassi,

Are they still going with the "Lost Farms" name for the second course? 

Jim Nugent

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 01:11:35 AM »
Anyone know when they expect to open the new course?

George Pazin

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 10:55:27 AM »
I'm thrilled to hear the resort is doing well, can't wait to get there someday myself.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Jason Topp

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 12:23:32 PM »
What is their customer base?

Tasmanians, Mainland Austalians or foreigners.  Its pretty amazing that they are doing so well.  I felt like I was at the end of the earth.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 10:03:59 PM »
Quassi,

Are they still going with the "Lost Farms" name for the second course? 

I forgot to ask that question and I saw nothing on the routing
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 11:15:30 PM »
Word is that The Lost Farms is still awaiting final clearance, and that it's a firm working title.
The completion date of Nov 2009 has been mooted more than once.

Mind you, these are nothing more than rumor I suspect.
Wouldn't it be great if Bill Coore could come on and confirm?

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Mark_F

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2008, 07:36:37 AM »
The completion date of Nov 2009 has been mooted more than once.
Wouldn't it be great if Bill Coore could come on and confirm?

I imagine as a new dad, Matt, the more notice you can provide the better your chances of success?

Garland Bayley

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2008, 01:46:42 PM »
I was even given a glimce of the land for the 3rd course should that come to be. Excellent

I can see it now. Old MacKenzie. ;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back