News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

On the telecast of the PODS Championship today, the announcers were extolling the virtues of BROWN conditions while being critical of GREEN conditions.

They spoke of the benefits of BROWN and that amateurs should clamor for more brown and less green in the context of playability.

Is this an isolated instance ?

Or will LUSH GREEN continue to be broadcast, even if it's through filters ?

John Keenan

I would suspect that the announcers at the Masters will swoon over the very green conditions there. In effect trumping the brown comments,

ANGC seems to be the place that sets the standard for US golf courses.

John
The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

Patrick_Mucci

John,

When a TV Network puts filters on the cameras to make the grass appear MORE green, you have to ask, is this the work of ANGC or the Network ?

Are they trying to emphasize coloring differences in order to produce a more glamorous telecast ?

Adam Clayman

Patrick, It's important to make the distinction between a golfer and one who plays golf, in this context.
 A golfer, in my mind, relishes the challenge of an unpredictable, or difficult to predict, outcome. While those who play golf, cannot do so without the predictability of what a consistently soft canvas provides.
 Wind is the another perfect barometer. Those who cheerish the wind are golfers, while those who cuss and decry the element, play golf.
 Changing the mindset of the 5 time a year player will likely never occur, just because some TV announcers extol the virtues of a F&F surface.

The onus is on the supers and green chairmen out there. If they give marching orders to the super to keep things soft, just so old man Twomey can stop his hybrid three iron from 170 yards, the unpredictability associated with F&F will never win out.

Thanks to the Big World, there are many more options when it comes to courses we golfers can play. Let the luddites enjoy their game in remarkably ignorant bliss.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

TEPaul

Patrick:

Regarding your entire initial post---I've been telling you this for years now but you've apparently refused to see it or believe it as you continue to blame every membership in golf for one thing after another including lush green. This is just typical and proves you're always about five years behind with most everything. There's a renaissance going on in golf and architecture and in maintenance for at least ten years and you've been blind to it. Stick with The MASTER and you might learn something in a timely fashion.

John Keenan

Patrick

I would suspect that all TV cameras use some form of filtering. Their goal is to provide the best possible picture to the network for the feed. The question really is does ANGC work in conjunction with the CBS production crew to insure filters are used that especially enhance the green of Augusta.  My guess is they suggest to the CBS production teams ways in which ANGC could be best presented to the viewing public.

Sadly as never actually attended in person I am at a disadvantage as to the color difference between the TV shots and in-person. Given the control that ANGC extends over the telecast I am quite sure they have and exercise "influence"

John

The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

PThomas

broadcasting thru filters reminds me of adding bird sounds in the backgrounds....remember the one time they used sounds from birds that didn't exist in the area and they got caught!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

John Keenan

Using heaters to force the azaleas to bloom is another activity that qualifies for over the top at least from my perspective

RJ_Daley

Just what is the status this year at the traditional lush grooming and cultivation of bloom of landscape plants at ANGC?  Has the long term drought subsided to the point that their stimulus program of promoting the most optimal lush grounds is still the ANGC priority? 

I sure can't wish that the drought would be severe to force a more lean approach to ANGC because it hurts so many economically down there in the region.  Yet, the cutting back and severe rationing of ANGC access to water and maybe even chem and fert applications would be an interesting project to see how the maintenance would proceed, and force them to alter maintenance and presentation of the course, goals.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Will MacEwen

Using heaters to force the azaleas to bloom is another activity that qualifies for over the top at least from my perspective

As is dropping blue dye bombs in the water hazards.

TEPaul

" Is it possible that they're starting to get it ? And will the contagion spread ?"

Patrick:

Don't you think it's safe to say that for you to even recognize that some contagion is afoot it would already have to have become almost pandemic? 

Kalen Braley

I've also heard they will use ice around the base if spring is coming on too soon as well. 

Patrick_Mucci

TEPaul,

The vast majority of members want lush green conditions, they equate that with a properly conditioned and groomed golf course, especially those who have wintered in, or visited Florida during the winter.

It's a tough sell because of the hit to the budget that transitioning from lush green to F&F brown/green/yellow entails

Gary Daughters

If TV announcers are trumpeting the virtues of brown then, come on boys, that's good.

Which TV announcers are we talking about?
THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

Michael Whitaker

When a TV Network puts filters on the cameras to make the grass appear MORE green, you have to ask, is this the work of ANGC or the Network ?

Pat - Why do you accuse the networks of putting filters on the cameras to specifically make the grass appear more green? I used to be in the broadcasting business and I have not heard of this before.

Maybe James Keever will chime in... he works for CBS.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Patrick_Mucci

Michael Whitaker,

Based on your extensive experience would you like to make a wager on the issue with the winnings going to GCA.com ?

Michael Whitaker

Pat - I'm not challenging you... just curious as I've never heard of filters used to specifically make grass look greener during a telecast. I assumed that you had some inside knowledge... is that the case or are you just speculating?
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Patrick_Mucci

Michael,

I wasn't speculating.

It's been a practice employed when telecasting golf events.

Some courses even spray painted the grass to make it look greener.

Chip Gaskins

as is putting piping under all the greens to regulate the soil temp

Michael Whitaker

Pat - That's very interesting... I've heard of courses being sprayed or stained to enhance the color (like they do football fields), but not the use of a camera filter to specifically enhance the color green. I'm wondering what kind of filter one would use on a camera to achieve this effect without altering the color balance of the remaining image. Do you happen to know, by any chance? If it is a lens filter the same effect could be achieved with a still camera, no?

Kyle Harris

Pat - That's very interesting... I've heard of courses being sprayed or stained to enhance the color (like they do football fields), but not the use of a camera filter to specifically enhance the color green. I'm wondering what kind of filter one would use on a camera to achieve this effect without altering the color balance of the remaining image. Do you happen to know, by any chance? If it is a lens filter the same effect could be achieved with a still camera, no?

I had always wondered why the sky above Augusta seemed so green...  ;)

Patrick_Mucci

Chip Gaskins,

Do you mean the same type of pipes they lay under football fields to regulate the temperature ?

Michael Whitaker,

I wouldn't know the types of filters and the lens differences between still cameras and TV cameras

In many old movies, the night scenes were filmed in daylight with filters to make it appear dark, so, I'd imagine that filters that make the grass greener are merely another version of the same technique.

As to the blue dye in the water, I think that practice has long been abandoned.  But, after its initial use, I did notice local clubs doing the same thing.  I believe the chemical used was copper sulfate.

Who says that advertising doesn't work ?

Joe Hancock

The blue dye in water is used to reduce the amount of UV sunlight that is necessary for plant life in the water. Algae is the main target, and the dye is somewhat effective in keeping blooms minimized.

Copper sulphate is a means of introducing elemental copper to the water, as it acts as a herbicide on algae. It is sometimes a combination product along with the dye, but it isn't one and the same.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

TEPaul

Michael Whitaker:

That exchange you just had with Pat Mucci is classic Mucci modus operandi. Basically he has no idea if they use filters on TV cameras to make grass look greener but that'll never stop him from acting like he does without actually answering your questions. And when he realizes you suspect he doesn't know his next step is to make a bet with you.

Pat doesn't have much knowledge to start with and what he says he has is a bunch of mumbo-jumbo. But all of us probably need to go somewhat easy on him---the poor guy is so out of it he actually walks into swimming pools in South Beach with his clothes on and his cell phone, wallet and so forth in them to speak to 7-8 intoxicated, topless, thonged bimbos on a wet-and-wild sorority weekend. For God's Sake, the poor man might've drowned if his wife had not waded in and saved him.

Does that sound like someone who knows if TV cameras have filters to make the grass look greener?  ;)

Jeremy Rivando

I don't know that Corporate America or the golfing elite, such as ANGC will ever get it but I don't concern myself with that.

There is no money to be made in regards to brown golf.

The people on this site and others that support organic concepts will set the new standards that most of the golfing public will eventually accept.

But I'll still tune in every spring with anticipation and excitement, because it's The Masters.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back